Son by Lois Lowry

by Lois Lowry

Member:LynnMoore
Title:Son
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Novel - young adult

Son by Lois Lowry

English (107)  Italian (1)  All (108)
This is the 4th book in Lowry’s The Giver series. Claire has been assigned to be a birth mother. Once she has her first child (or “product”) - at only 14-years old - there are complications and she is reassigned to the fish hatchery. In the meantime, her son has gone to the Nurturing Centre, where he lives up to his first year before he is assigned to a family. But, Claire can’t seem to let go and volunteers there to keep tabs on him. When she learns that there is a problem with her son, her son is taken from the community at the same time as Claire escapes. Now, Claire is focused on finding and reuniting with her son.

I really liked this one. It’s been a few years between reading each of the books, so I had to go back to see what I thought of the others. I thought this one and the first one were the best ones in the series. Books two and three, I rated “ok”, but I really liked this and The Giver. The characters from the first three books come together in this one. I listened to the audio. Funny thing, I also listened to the audio of the third book and wasn’t crazy about that one. I liked this one much better. ( )
  LibraryCin | May 3, 2017 |
loved this book til the last two chapters when everything felt rushed. I also wish gabe and jonas had been a lot closer. there was obviously a bond, I just wish it had been more ( )
  jnoble82 | Mar 20, 2017 |
In this finally to The Giver series you will find yourself more in love with the small and precious things in life. This is a great book to use when talking about culture and language. A big read, suggested for the purposes of discussing the things in life that bring value and purpose. ( )
  AnnaBailey | Mar 9, 2017 |
A little bland, a little generic, a little forgettable, but more than a little aimed toward a different demographic than my own. Despite a relatively recent publication date, Lois Lowry's Giver quartet conclusion isn't interested in contemporary young adult dystopian trends like blood and lust and bloodlust. Instead, this is very much "your father's" YA fiction, with clean and simple messages, morals, and people; a snoozer, but a pleasant one all the same. ( )
  steve520 | Dec 10, 2016 |
Right now this is the only member of the Giver Quartet I've got- I plan to get "The Giver," but I'm not sure about the other two. This one was out of the library and my curiosity was piqued enough to buy a copy- Gabe's mother was out there looking for him? What happens? Moreover, what happens to Jonas and the rest of the characters that have come together? Though I'd welcome another book in the series, I was pleased with how everything came together. The most interesting part, however, ended up being seeing another perspective on the community that Jonas left. ( )
  the1butterfly | Sep 3, 2016 |
In memory of Martin
The young girl cringed when they buckled the eyeless leather mask around the upper half of her face and blinded her.

AR Book Level 5.0, 11 pts.

They called her Water Claire. When she washed up on their shore, no one knew that she came from a society where emotions and colors didn’t exist. That she had become a Vessel at age thirteen. That she had carried a Product at age fourteen. That it had been stolen from her body. Claire had a son. But what became of him she never knew. What was his name? Was he even alive?  She was supposed to forget him, but that was impossible. Now Claire will stop at nothing to find her child, even if it means making an unimaginable sacrifice.

Son thrusts readers once again into the chilling world of the Newbery Medal winning book, The Giver, as well as Gathering Blue and Messenger where a new hero emerges. In this thrilling series finale, the startling and long-awaited conclusion to Lois Lowry’s epic tale culminates in a final clash between good and evil.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:52 -0400)

Unlike the other Birthmothers in her utopian community, teenaged Claire forms an attachment to her baby, feeling a great loss when he is taken to the Nurturing Center to be adopted by a family unit.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,310,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible