Son by Lois Lowry

Son (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Lois Lowry

734None12,642 (3.96)34
Member:LynnMoore
Title:Son
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Novel - young adult

Son by Lois Lowry (2012)

English (52)  Italian (1)  All languages (53)
Story of Claire's search for her son after he is taken from her after birth, as is usual in her utopian community. She meets many characters along the way and the story culminates in a fight between good and evil. A good story on its own merits but it could also be used as a conversation starter for many teen conversations. While a companion book to others by Lowry it is not necessary to have read them. I'd recommend to anyone. ( )
  SparklePonies | Feb 27, 2014 |
Not my favorite Lois Lowry book. I could have done without the middle third, she took too much time expounding on Claire's time after she washed up. I really enjoyed seeing all the characters from other books together and understanding how the loose ends tie up. Claire's shock at the birds, animals, etc in her new environment is really quite interesting. This book could start discussions many topics including: reproduction outside of natural processes, controlling govts or societies, overcoming evil with love, sacrifice, etc. ( )
  GR8inD8N | Feb 16, 2014 |
Nice to have all the stories tied up. I'm glad I reread the earlier books before starting this one. A good story. Empowering as we see the characters work toward wholeness. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Son is the conclusion to Lowry's Giver Quartet. I have not read the second and third books in the series, and it has been a very long time since I read The Giver. While I certainly recognized the world of The Giver, especially in the first part of the novel, I would say that this book could easily stand on its own. The story follows a girl/woman named Claire who is on a quest to find the son who was taken from her. Claire struggles for years, and is willing to do whatever it takes to discover what became of her child. The novel is a testament to the power of maternal love. My only real criticism is that the ending felt abrupt. One more chapter or even a brief epilogue could have really brought closure to the story. ( )
  LaneLiterati | Feb 13, 2014 |
The series surprised me, honestly. [b:The Giver|3636|The Giver (The Giver, #1)|Lois Lowry|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1342493368s/3636.jpg|2543234] was probably THE book that got me into reading as a kid, and even rereading it as an adult was a great experience, but everything after that? I'm not really sure why it even exists. They are all fine reads, but [b:Gathering Blue|12936|Gathering Blue (The Giver, #2)|Lois Lowry|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1347750315s/12936.jpg|2134456] doesn't have anything to do with The Giver, and I get that it has to set up the next two books, but I don't know. I wish I hadn't read the other three books. ( )
  earthforms | Feb 2, 2014 |
In memory of Martin
The young girl cringed when they buckled the eyeless leather mask around the upper half of her face and blinded her.

They called her Water Claire. When she washed up on their shore, no one knew that she came from a society where emotions and colors didn’t exist. That she had become a Vessel at age thirteen. That she had carried a Product at age fourteen. That it had been stolen from her body. Claire had a son. But what became of him she never knew. What was his name? Was he even alive?  She was supposed to forget him, but that was impossible. Now Claire will stop at nothing to find her child, even if it means making an unimaginable sacrifice.

Son thrusts readers once again into the chilling world of the Newbery Medal winning book, The Giver, as well as Gathering Blue and Messenger where a new hero emerges. In this thrilling series finale, the startling and long-awaited conclusion to Lois Lowry’s epic tale culminates in a final clash between good and evil.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:48 -0400)

Unlike the other Birthmothers in her utopian community, teenaged Claire forms an attachment to her baby, feeling a great loss when he is taken to the Nurturing Center to be adopted by a family unit.

173 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,508,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible