Son by Lois Lowry

by Lois Lowry

Member:LynnMoore
Title:Son
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Novel - young adult

Son by Lois Lowry

Recently added byrecipe_addict, keeneam, eremiticlife, private library, perchance.cl, LaurenAileen, anitalib

English (61)  Italian (1)  All languages (62)
Claire's son is "Abe" (Gabe from The Giver). Claire is a Birthmother. However, something goes wrong during Abe's birth and she is no longer allowed to be a Birthmother and begins working at the hatchery. Somehow in this process, the people in charge neglect to get her started on the pills that everyone takes at the onset of puberty. The pills, she discovers, are what numbs everyone to feelings, and her lack of pills is why she misses and wants her son.

Jonas (from The Giver) kidnaps Abe in order to save his life. Claire, not realizing why Abe was taken, is upset and hops aboard a boat and is taken to sea. She ends up shipwrecked at a new village, suffering from memory loss. All she can remember is her name.

She becomes a member of the new community, but they quickly discover that in some ways she is far advanced, yet in other ways knows less than a small child (she doesn't know her colors and is afraid of all animals). When her memory starts to return, she realizes she had a son... some in the new community look down on her because she had not been married. They did not understand the "assignments" from where she came from. There are some that understand though, and want to help her find her son.

One curious part is when she figures out she can read and they do not know how to read. She quickly hides that knowledge. I'm interested to see if it comes up again (it doesn't)

Something odd that I keep thinking about is how where she came from the weather can be controlled... and how colors do not exist. Also, no animals? Anywhere? But the comfort toys are always a type of animal, which seems odd. You would think that would raise some questions

When Claire leaves to find her son, she encounters the Trademaster from a previous book and trades her youth. She does get to find her son but does not reveal who she is to him because now she is old, and she doesn't think he will believe her story. She finally talks to Jonas and reveals who she is. Jonas believes her and finally they tell Gabe who she is. At this point though, Claire is on her deathbed and the only thing that will save her is Gabe confronting and killing the Trademaster. Gabe succeeds and her youth is restored, happy ending for all.

I have to say, I was a little disappointed in this book. I re-read the giver trilogy, now quartet, so I could be fresh on the story. The idea behind the various books and the story overall is good, but the Trademaster parts felt lacking to me. I expected a little more when it came to the scene where Gabriel confronted the Trademaster. We know he has the gift of veering (seeing into people), but the way he defeats the Trademaster felt lacking. Maybe I wanted more detail and the author wanted to keep it simple, but it seemed almost too simple for how evil the Trademaster was.

In comparison to how long it took Claire to train to leave to find her son, and how long Gabe spent messing on the boat he was building and testing it out, it seemed like the scenes with the Trademaster were skimmed over, very brief and held less detail. More time was spent recounting what the Trademaster did in a previous book, than Gabe defeating him once and for all. I won't say I didn't like this book, because it does provide closure to the story, however, it felt more like an obligatory closure more than anything else. ( )

recipe_addict | Sep 21, 2014 |
A great wrap up that ties everything together. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Water Claire is lost herself as she tries to seek out her lost child, and is asked to sacrifice greatly in order to be reunited with him. And really I can’t say more than that without spoiling the whole thing. But for lovers of The Giver or any of the other books in this series, Son offers many new twists and many answers to questions readers have had for two decades since The Giver was originally released.

I highly recommend this book for any fans of Lowry’s work, and for anyone who enjoys a dystopian tale without all the robots and police and heavy-handed governments that make this genre usually seem so dark. The government is there and lives are being controlled, but in so much subtler fashion than is currently typical in the genre.

Read the rest of my review here: http://thevegbrarian.blogspot.ca/2014/08/yrca-2015-son-by-lois-lowry-review.html ( )
  leahdawn | Aug 18, 2014 |
In memory of Martin
The young girl cringed when they buckled the eyeless leather mask around the upper half of her face and blinded her.

They called her Water Claire. When she washed up on their shore, no one knew that she came from a society where emotions and colors didn’t exist. That she had become a Vessel at age thirteen. That she had carried a Product at age fourteen. That it had been stolen from her body. Claire had a son. But what became of him she never knew. What was his name? Was he even alive?  She was supposed to forget him, but that was impossible. Now Claire will stop at nothing to find her child, even if it means making an unimaginable sacrifice.

Son thrusts readers once again into the chilling world of the Newbery Medal winning book, The Giver, as well as Gathering Blue and Messenger where a new hero emerges. In this thrilling series finale, the startling and long-awaited conclusion to Lois Lowry’s epic tale culminates in a final clash between good and evil.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:48 -0400)

Unlike the other Birthmothers in her utopian community, teenaged Claire forms an attachment to her baby, feeling a great loss when he is taken to the Nurturing Center to be adopted by a family unit.

173 wanted3 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,790,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible