Son by Lois Lowry

by Lois Lowry

Member:LynnMoore
Title:Son
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Novel - young adult

Son by Lois Lowry

English (104)  Italian (1)  All languages (105)
Told in three parts, we get a book that attempts to tie together the world Lowry began building in The Giver. Part one focuses on the mother of Gabe and her attempts to get to know her son before he is released. This was easily the best part of the book. Part two continues to follow the mother after she has left the society. At this point, it becomes very disjointed and takes a good chunk of the book to find its footing again. Part three focuses on her "reunion" with her son and leaves the reader with a less than satisfactory conclusion not only to the book, but to the series. ( )
  benuathanasia | Jul 30, 2016 |
This is the conclusion of The Giver quartet. What a wonderful finish or wrap-up to this story. I really enjoyed the first book, The Giver, and was slightly confused how book two fit with it as there was nothing about The Giver characters in it. Then book three slightly tied the first two books together. But this one brought them all to a great conclusion and also answered several questions. What happened to Jonas, what happened to Gabe, and who was the Trade master. Very beautifully written, this book kept my attention and pulled me into the story. When Claire did her trade with the Trade Master I was yelling at her not to do it. But she needed to in order for the ending to happen. She needed to so that events would fall into place to end Trade Master's evil. This is a wonderful series of books. Great as audio book entertainment in the car. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
The concluding part of The Giver quartet. We learn the story of Gabe, the baby in the first book, and his mother. At the end evil is vanquished. I found the early part of this book quite uncomfortable reading but that has more to do with my emotions around motherhood than the book itself. I am glad I persevered as it really is another excellent story. By half way through I was totally hooked and read at every opportunity. It is very satisfying to have so many loose ends tied up but without seeming like that is all the book is doing. I thoroughly enjoyed it. ( )
  eclecticdodo | Jun 15, 2016 |
*sigh*.

I did not like this book. ( )
  adamwolf | Jun 7, 2016 |
I liked this book… but I don’t love it and want to read it over and over again like I did The Giver. I just didn’t connect emotionally with Claire the way I did with Jonas in the original book. The theme of the book is about a mother’s longing for her baby, and I don’t think many young readers will connect with Claire, either…. not that it is too mature a subject for them, just that they will not have the life experience to empathize. I also thought the questions left unanswered at the end of The Giver were tied up too neatly, with too little real explanation, the reader is just expected to accept the supernatural elements on faith. I kept wishing that the story would follow the river boat crew and show how the outside world views the community where Claire and Jonas grew up.

I have added The Giver to my mental list of the many (MANY) books and movies that should not have had sequels.
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
In memory of Martin
The young girl cringed when they buckled the eyeless leather mask around the upper half of her face and blinded her.

They called her Water Claire. When she washed up on their shore, no one knew that she came from a society where emotions and colors didn’t exist. That she had become a Vessel at age thirteen. That she had carried a Product at age fourteen. That it had been stolen from her body. Claire had a son. But what became of him she never knew. What was his name? Was he even alive?  She was supposed to forget him, but that was impossible. Now Claire will stop at nothing to find her child, even if it means making an unimaginable sacrifice.

Son thrusts readers once again into the chilling world of the Newbery Medal winning book, The Giver, as well as Gathering Blue and Messenger where a new hero emerges. In this thrilling series finale, the startling and long-awaited conclusion to Lois Lowry’s epic tale culminates in a final clash between good and evil.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:52 -0400)

Unlike the other Birthmothers in her utopian community, teenaged Claire forms an attachment to her baby, feeling a great loss when he is taken to the Nurturing Center to be adopted by a family unit.

612 wanted3 pay3 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,340,115 books! | Top bar: Always visible