Son by Lois Lowry

by Lois Lowry

Member:LynnMoore
Title:Son
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Novel - young adult

Son by Lois Lowry

English (72)  Italian (1)  All languages (73)
what a terrible let down. The Giver is one of the deepest, most thought-provoking books ever written, in my opinion. it asks questions and leads us though a world like our but stark and full of the stress of oppression, vague but ever-present. the imagery and description of feeling and non-feeling is superb and immediately engaging.

the other three books felt nothing like this. they were simply decently written YA books. but the last book, this one- Son- i had hopes for. i hoped Lowry would redeem herself and explain wtf was going on in these books and maybe even why her writing style changed. she did not.

in fact, as my girlfriend adroitly pointed out, Son ends abruptly, as though Lowry just got tired of writing and decided that's enough. many parts of it were trite and hokey. at times, i felt like she was hitting me over the head with Deep and Meaningful Passages. unlike The Giver, where i felt that she was showing us rather than telling us; using nuanced metaphors and tropes rather than hackneyed old storytelling cliches.

if we were to compare this to films, i would have to say The Giver is like The Matrix while Gathering Blue, Messenger, and Son are like the last two of the Matrix films: they might be interesting and entertaining as stand-alone works but in the context of what has come before, they fail miserably. it feels like contractual obligation to me rather than actual artistic endeavor. ( )
  keebrook | Mar 10, 2015 |
Claire lived in a community with strict rules and little to no freedom. The community takes pills to get rid of all their emotions, to keep the society 'safe'. Claire is a birth mother, and when something goes wrong when she is in labor, her job is reassigned. Claire, and the other birth mothers, didn't take the pills for their baby's health. Claire is informed that her child is fine, and her new job will be at the fish hatchery. At the fish hatchery, she still does not take her pills. Her emotions come back, and she starts to feel love and worry for her child. After finding his whereabouts, she visits her son, Gabe, at the child care center. She grows more love for her child, and visits him more often. When it is announced that Gabe will be killed (or as the community calls it, to be taken to beyond), she runs to save him. She learns that Jonas, a boy in the community, has stolen him to keep him safe. In attempts to find him, she boards a ship at the dock. During a storm, the ship is wrecked and she washes aboard a strange island. There, she loses her memory. With the help of her friends Alys and Lame Einar, she regains her memory and health, and goes to look for her child. She soon finds Trademaster, and he gives her the option of teleporting her to her child, in exchange for her youth. Disaster strikes soon after that, and her life becomes in danger, and its up to Gabe to save her.

I did not enjoy The Son by Lois Lowry. The story followed a pattern for each setting in the story, the community, the island, and the village. The story starts slow and very boring. Nothing much happens and the building tension is almost impossible to identify. Then, a big change in the story happens in 3 sentences. This style made the story impossible to read, enjoy, and was hard to understand. The character development did explain Claire well, with her love and care for others. The other characters were poorly developed and described. Some characters however, were very well detailed, but had no purpose in the story, which confused me in their point in the story. The poor ordering and describing of the characters and plot of the story made me highly dislike the story and it was very confusing. ( )
  AlFaBr14 | Mar 3, 2015 |
SPOILERS: If you have read the three previous books this review will not contain spoilers, if you have not and do not like spoilers, please go no farther!

In this book we go back to the world of The Giver. We already know what happened to Jonas when he left the village, now we learn what happened to Gabe, the baby he rescued from certain death.

We also learn about Claire, who is also from the village in The Giver, she has also escaped and living in another village where she washed up on the shore. There is only one way out, Claire is determined to get out, she remembers a son, and she must find him. But besides a seemingly impossible way out, there is another evil between Claire and her son, and in the end only if good triumphs over this evil will Claire meet her son.

I read some reviews from people who read the other books and did not like this book. Or at least they didn’t like the ending. They felt it was rushed and just thrown out there, like Ms. Lowry had run out of ideas or just wanted to finish the series. It didn’t feel that way to be, it seemed consistent with the rest of the novels. To summarize, I liked this book as much as any of the others. ( )
  BellaFoxx | Feb 14, 2015 |
Let me start out by saying, I absolutely loved [b:The Giver|3636|The Giver (The Giver, #1)|Lois Lowry|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1342493368s/3636.jpg|2543234] from the very first reading in sixth grade. Since then, I've read it too many times to count. So I was super excited for this concluding book and a return to the community from which Jonas and Gabe came.

Overall I did really enjoy this book. It had many of the elements that made me love the original and the sequels [b:Gathering Blue|12936|Gathering Blue (The Giver, #2)|Lois Lowry|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1347750315s/12936.jpg|2134456] and [b:Messenger|12930|Messenger (The Giver, #3)|Lois Lowry|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320457206s/12930.jpg|901952]. It again deals with issues that many middle-grade books that shy away from. Central to this book is the story of a teenage mother and her yearning for her child, which many will think an odd topic for a children's book. I like that Lowry writes about things that many other people don't think is 'appropriate', 'understandable' or 'relatable' for children. Children are much more intelligent and aware of things than most give them credit for and I do think they will be able to appreciate this book.

However, as much as I enjoyed getting another look at the community from where this all began and having an ending to the series, my biggest problem is that it is too wrapped up. My love for [b:The Giver|3636|The Giver (The Giver, #1)|Lois Lowry|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1342493368s/3636.jpg|2543234] as a child was in much part due to the ambiguous nature of it's ending. This was one of the first books that I can really remember making me think. By leaving me with questions it made me delve deeper into the subject matter and come back to it over and over again.

But, with [b:Son|13324841|Son (The Giver, #4)|Lois Lowry|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1349952095s/13324841.jpg|18252076] the ending is kind of tied up in a nice package with a pretty bow on top. This is disappointing in many ways because it makes the book lack the essential thing that made the first book such a unique and thought-provoking book for young readers. If there was one thing I could have wished for out of this book it would be that the ending, while still being a finale for the series, could have hearkened back to [b:The Giver|3636|The Giver (The Giver, #1)|Lois Lowry|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1342493368s/3636.jpg|2543234] and left us with something to think about.

In summary, even with its faults, it was still great for me as a long time lover of the series and I would easily recommend it to other fans. ( )
  luminescent_bookworm | Jan 27, 2015 |
The Giver is the first novel in the Giver Quartet by Lois Lowry.

Plot:
Jonas’ twelfth year-ceremony is approaching – which is especially exciting because all kids get their community assignment at their twelfth year-ceremony. That means that they’ll finally find out what their role and duty will be in their community. Contrary to many other kids, Jonas has no idea what he is suited for. But he certainly did not expect to be announced as the new Receiver of Memories – he doesn’t even know what it is the Receiver does. When he starts his apprenticeship, the role of the receiver is far from the only thing he learns though.

The Giver is a nice read. Since it is geared towards kids, you can read it quickly, but while the language might be simplified, the content is not. That and Jonas’ likeability make the book a compelling read, even if I did not fall completely in love with it.

Read more on my blog: http://kalafudra.com/2014/09/20/the-giver-lois-lowry/ ( )
  kalafudra | Jan 26, 2015 |
In memory of Martin
The young girl cringed when they buckled the eyeless leather mask around the upper half of her face and blinded her.

They called her Water Claire. When she washed up on their shore, no one knew that she came from a society where emotions and colors didn’t exist. That she had become a Vessel at age thirteen. That she had carried a Product at age fourteen. That it had been stolen from her body. Claire had a son. But what became of him she never knew. What was his name? Was he even alive?  She was supposed to forget him, but that was impossible. Now Claire will stop at nothing to find her child, even if it means making an unimaginable sacrifice.

Son thrusts readers once again into the chilling world of the Newbery Medal winning book, The Giver, as well as Gathering Blue and Messenger where a new hero emerges. In this thrilling series finale, the startling and long-awaited conclusion to Lois Lowry’s epic tale culminates in a final clash between good and evil.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:48 -0400)

Unlike the other Birthmothers in her utopian community, teenaged Claire forms an attachment to her baby, feeling a great loss when he is taken to the Nurturing Center to be adopted by a family unit.

173 wanted3 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,274,432 books! | Top bar: Always visible