Son by Lois Lowry

by Lois Lowry

Member:LynnMoore
Title:Son
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Novel - young adult

Son by Lois Lowry

Recently added byprivate library, b3shel7, b2shel7, AlFaBr14, jlsimon7, olongbourn, wid_get, Caramin, gvclibrarian

English (70)  Italian (1)  All languages (71)
SPOILERS: If you have read the three previous books this review will not contain spoilers, if you have not and do not like spoilers, please go no farther!

In this book we go back to the world of The Giver. We already know what happened to Jonas when he left the village, now we learn what happened to Gabe, the baby he rescued from certain death.

We also learn about Claire, who is also from the village in The Giver, she has also escaped and living in another village where she washed up on the shore. There is only one way out, Claire is determined to get out, she remembers a son, and she must find him. But besides a seemingly impossible way out, there is another evil between Claire and her son, and in the end only if good triumphs over this evil will Claire meet her son.

I read some reviews from people who read the other books and did not like this book. Or at least they didn’t like the ending. They felt it was rushed and just thrown out there, like Ms. Lowry had run out of ideas or just wanted to finish the series. It didn’t feel that way to be, it seemed consistent with the rest of the novels. To summarize, I liked this book as much as any of the others. ( )
  BellaFoxx | Feb 14, 2015 |
Let me start out by saying, I absolutely loved [b:The Giver|3636|The Giver (The Giver, #1)|Lois Lowry|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1342493368s/3636.jpg|2543234] from the very first reading in sixth grade. Since then, I've read it too many times to count. So I was super excited for this concluding book and a return to the community from which Jonas and Gabe came.

Overall I did really enjoy this book. It had many of the elements that made me love the original and the sequels [b:Gathering Blue|12936|Gathering Blue (The Giver, #2)|Lois Lowry|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1347750315s/12936.jpg|2134456] and [b:Messenger|12930|Messenger (The Giver, #3)|Lois Lowry|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320457206s/12930.jpg|901952]. It again deals with issues that many middle-grade books that shy away from. Central to this book is the story of a teenage mother and her yearning for her child, which many will think an odd topic for a children's book. I like that Lowry writes about things that many other people don't think is 'appropriate', 'understandable' or 'relatable' for children. Children are much more intelligent and aware of things than most give them credit for and I do think they will be able to appreciate this book.

However, as much as I enjoyed getting another look at the community from where this all began and having an ending to the series, my biggest problem is that it is too wrapped up. My love for [b:The Giver|3636|The Giver (The Giver, #1)|Lois Lowry|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1342493368s/3636.jpg|2543234] as a child was in much part due to the ambiguous nature of it's ending. This was one of the first books that I can really remember making me think. By leaving me with questions it made me delve deeper into the subject matter and come back to it over and over again.

But, with [b:Son|13324841|Son (The Giver, #4)|Lois Lowry|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1349952095s/13324841.jpg|18252076] the ending is kind of tied up in a nice package with a pretty bow on top. This is disappointing in many ways because it makes the book lack the essential thing that made the first book such a unique and thought-provoking book for young readers. If there was one thing I could have wished for out of this book it would be that the ending, while still being a finale for the series, could have hearkened back to [b:The Giver|3636|The Giver (The Giver, #1)|Lois Lowry|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1342493368s/3636.jpg|2543234] and left us with something to think about.

In summary, even with its faults, it was still great for me as a long time lover of the series and I would easily recommend it to other fans. ( )
  luminescent_bookworm | Jan 27, 2015 |
The Giver is the first novel in the Giver Quartet by Lois Lowry.

Plot:
Jonas’ twelfth year-ceremony is approaching – which is especially exciting because all kids get their community assignment at their twelfth year-ceremony. That means that they’ll finally find out what their role and duty will be in their community. Contrary to many other kids, Jonas has no idea what he is suited for. But he certainly did not expect to be announced as the new Receiver of Memories – he doesn’t even know what it is the Receiver does. When he starts his apprenticeship, the role of the receiver is far from the only thing he learns though.

The Giver is a nice read. Since it is geared towards kids, you can read it quickly, but while the language might be simplified, the content is not. That and Jonas’ likeability make the book a compelling read, even if I did not fall completely in love with it.

Read more on my blog: http://kalafudra.com/2014/09/20/the-giver-lois-lowry/ ( )
  kalafudra | Jan 26, 2015 |
To me you're a child, still. And a mum always loves her child.

Claire knows that she has lost something precious. She should move on with her life and conform to the ways of the community. Move on. And yet what her body has lost, her heart cannot let go. Against the odds, against common sense, and against everything she has been taught growing up, she will search for what was lost and reclaim what has been stolen from her.

In this conclusion to The Giver Quartet, Lowry takes us back to the beginning, drawing a full circle from all her previous characters and stories. Although the writing is deceptively simple, the ideas of freedom, freewill, and love are all intricately interwoven into all her books and Son does not disappoint in that regard. If I were to be critical it would be the fact that her previous three books were short, concise and straight to the heart of the matter, whereas Son being almost twice the size of its predecessors felt at times a bit drawn out. The power of her style that completely worked with her previous novels seems to have lost a bit of its steam and impact of delivery in this final installment. Nevertheless, the entire series is a must read and will undoubtably be a favourite of mine for years to come. Recommended. ( )
  jolerie | Dec 22, 2014 |
Well, shoot, now how are English teachers going to assign their classes to write the rest of the ending to The Giver if Ms. Lowry answers a ton of the questions herself right in this book? (Heh).

Anyway, this is the fourth book in the 'Giver' series. And it pulls together almost everything from the previous three books into the same story. It starts with Claire from the same community/town as Jonas, but who a couple years before Jo was picked as a birth mother. Claire had her child, #36 of that year, but something went wrong and she got reassigned to the Fish Hatchery. The story goes from there, mostly following her journey as she tries to reconnect with her son.

It's an amazingly expansive story, and like with the other three stories in the Giver series, it never forgets about the characters or relationships also. We have Claire who with every chapter we find has new layers to her. Gabe who has quite grown up since the last books. Alysis a great supporting character who's quite the helper on Claire's journey. And then there's Einar. He turned into my favorite character in the whole book. Claire meets him once she gets out of the community where she grew up and like her he has many, many layers to him. And even as the book ends I felt like there could be another one just about him. That seems to be how Lowry writes. On the one hand the stories get well concluded while still being wicked open ended.

But the part that I like most about this series' books, especially this one, is that it's always fun to try and figure out what these characters are talking about, what something like a fish as big as a boat really refers to. I like thinking of how Lowry's world fits (or doesn't fit) alongside our real world. ( )
  DanieXJ | Dec 18, 2014 |
In memory of Martin
The young girl cringed when they buckled the eyeless leather mask around the upper half of her face and blinded her.

They called her Water Claire. When she washed up on their shore, no one knew that she came from a society where emotions and colors didn’t exist. That she had become a Vessel at age thirteen. That she had carried a Product at age fourteen. That it had been stolen from her body. Claire had a son. But what became of him she never knew. What was his name? Was he even alive?  She was supposed to forget him, but that was impossible. Now Claire will stop at nothing to find her child, even if it means making an unimaginable sacrifice.

Son thrusts readers once again into the chilling world of the Newbery Medal winning book, The Giver, as well as Gathering Blue and Messenger where a new hero emerges. In this thrilling series finale, the startling and long-awaited conclusion to Lois Lowry’s epic tale culminates in a final clash between good and evil.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:48 -0400)

Unlike the other Birthmothers in her utopian community, teenaged Claire forms an attachment to her baby, feeling a great loss when he is taken to the Nurturing Center to be adopted by a family unit.

173 wanted3 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,786,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible