Son by Lois Lowry

by Lois Lowry

Member:Pinkpoppey
Title:Son
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 400 pages

Son by Lois Lowry

English (123)  Italian (1)  All languages (124)
What a perfect And beautiful series. I loved them all! ( )
  Starla_Aurora | Oct 29, 2018 |
This review was originally posted on Melissa's Midnight Musings on February 22, 2013.

This was such an excellent book. I first read The Giver when I was in 7th grade (too long ago) and was so curious about the story. I didn't understand the concepts on the same level that I understand them at now as an adult, but it made a big impact nonetheless. I didn't know there were sequels to The Giver until I took a class on YA Literature when I was in college. I read Messenger and The Gathering Blue for a project in that class and was enthralled by those as well. So, once I heard that Son was coming out, I knew there was no way I wouldn't read it. And I'm so very glad I did.

Honestly, I'm surprised that I got this from the library as quickly as I did, because I assumed a lot of people would want to read it. And obviously, they do because there are over 1000 ratings and the book hasn't been out more than a few months yet.

Even though it's been a while since I read the first three books, I had no trouble falling right back into that world again. The beginning of the book goes back into the past, when Jonas is still in The Community. It gives more background about Gabe, and particularly about his origins, which I know that I was curious about, even in The Giver.

There's so much to say and yet, I don't want to ruin anything by giving spoilers. This quartet has been so long in the making I would feel horrible spoiling anything, so this review is going to be very general and to the point.

Claire is a strong, determined character. She gives up a lot, for someone that she loves, and it's hard to watch her struggle through the effects of the choices she's made. In addition to her struggles she also sacrifices a great deal personally. As I read, I found myself wishing and hoping that, in the end, her struggle and sacrifices would be worth it. I'm glad to say that they were.

Jonas is no longer the leader in his community. He now has a family of his own, with Kira, and it is nice to see him happy and more relaxed. He has become wise and sure of himself, similar to the Giver in the original story. It's obvious to see how much he loves Gabe, and cares for him, and the community as a whole.

Although this book is meant to be the conclusion to the series, there is still so much more I want to know. I have so many questions, so many details I'm wondering about. I gave away my copies of the other books in this series a few months ago, but I'm thinking that at some point I'll check out all four books from the library and do a read-through of the whole series.

This is an excellent novel. I would recommend it to fans of Lois Lowry, and for anyone looking for a unique twist on dystopias.
  Melissalovesreading | Sep 30, 2018 |
After the second book, I wasn't going to read any more of this series, but a friend loaned the 2 remaining books and so I continued. The more I think about the plot of the last book, the less I like it. Why would a woman who had the resolve to spend 6 years training to climb a cliff to see her son accomplish the feat only to then lose the will to tell her son who she was, but skulk around for another several years? This made no sense, except that the author was stuck on having a Christ-like boy sacrifice, which she had already done in the previous book. I suppose the title should have been a giveaway. ( )
  juliejb9 | Sep 23, 2018 |
The Giver was my favorite book when I first read it about age twelve. It stayed my favorite book for many years.
I haven't liked any of the other books in the series, but "Son" is my least favorite. I do not think it is appropriate for middle grades (exceptions of course but not for most I think), it is more appropriate for high school because of the subject matter. There are many loose ends and contrived situations. There were some beautiful sections but it didn't seem complete or flow together as a whole. ( )
  wrightja2000 | Sep 6, 2018 |
It's hard to review a "series" book without giving away too much. So much takes place that is affected by what you're already read. Suffice to say, if you HAVEN'T read the preceding three books in this series, STOP what you are doing, and read them.

Good. You're back. Excellent. And you've read "The Giver", "Gathering Blue", and "Messenger". Now then. I STILL can't in good faith give away too much of what goes on in this story, because it ties up so many loose ends in this world. More than I can mention, and more than even I realized. But a good summary might go like this: Claire, a birth mother in the same village as Jonas, the central character in the first book, gives birth to her "product" (the baby, her son) and in childbirth is rendered incapable of further child-bearing. As it happens, said child turns out to be a very important recurring character in the previous books, and as Claire's journey to discover--and then FIND--her son reaches from her original home, down a river, then to a settlement on the shores of a great sea, up the side of a cliff, and finally to the village we have previously visited in "Gathering Blue" and "Messenger". Along the way she makes a trade which at the same time points her toward her goal...and make it unlikely she will ever reach it.

It's a fascinating tale and ultimately satisfying, and the only reason I don't give it five stars rather than four is that the denouement is perhaps a bit too abrupt for my liking. But it's Lowry's world, not mine, and I give her all the credit in the world for not only creating it, but for making it so utterly engrossing that I would go through all four books in less than ten days. And I am NOT a speed reader.

I suspect kids from 8 to 18 would eat this stuff up. Even those who blinked their eyes at "Messenger" or wrinkled their noses at "Gathering Blue" (the best of the four, in my estimation) will enjoy it, and likely will quickly search out its predecessors. Which considering their quality, cannot be a bad thing. Parent, please oblige them! And enjoy the books along with them.

In summary: this is a worthy finale to an epic tale, one which deserves its place among classics, childden, adult, and every age in between. ( )
  Jamski | Jul 18, 2018 |

Is contained in

In memory of Martin
The young girl cringed when they buckled the eyeless leather mask around the upper half of her face and blinded her.

AR Book Level 5.0, 11 pts.

They called her Water Claire. When she washed up on their shore, no one knew that she came from a society where emotions and colors didn’t exist. That she had become a Vessel at age thirteen. That she had carried a Product at age fourteen. That it had been stolen from her body. Claire had a son. But what became of him she never knew. What was his name? Was he even alive?  She was supposed to forget him, but that was impossible. Now Claire will stop at nothing to find her child, even if it means making an unimaginable sacrifice.

Son thrusts readers once again into the chilling world of the Newbery Medal winning book, The Giver, as well as Gathering Blue and Messenger where a new hero emerges. In this thrilling series finale, the startling and long-awaited conclusion to Lois Lowry’s epic tale culminates in a final clash between good and evil.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:52 -0400)

Unlike the other Birthmothers in her utopian community, teenaged Claire forms an attachment to her baby, feeling a great loss when he is taken to the Nurturing Center to be adopted by a family unit.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,678,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible