Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Dark Currents by Jacqueline Carey

Dark Currents

by Jacqueline Carey

Series: Agent of Hel (1)

Vacation Town Fantasy? Yes, that's urban fantasy taking place in a small lake town. It's a welcome change from the basic gritty city setting.

Daisy is the goddess Hel's liaison between the human world and that of the paranormal. She's also the daughter of a demon who, if she ever embraces her full powers, could destroy the world.

The thing about this book I particularly enjoyed was the mystery. I didn't figure it out at all and when I learned what was happening... it was almost unbearably sad. I think Carey has a gift for that, the knife to the gut with that little extra twist to make sure you really feel it.

I'd love to see more of these. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
So my love affair with the Kushiel series is well-known.

I legit can't believe this book is written by the same author. It's bizarre. Nowhere does the prose come even slightly close to anything else of hers I've read. The characters are whisper-thin, and the conflict is shallow. And no, it's not like I expected epic, lush worldbuilding and such (being urban fantasy, and the first in a series), but this reads like a first novel, period.

It's not a bad book; it's just weird for her. If you had handed me this book and anyone else's name had been on it, I would have given it one more star, but based on what I expect from Jacqueline Carey, I can't give it any more than 2 stars. ( )
  Dez.dono | Mar 27, 2018 |
I love JC, the Kushiel books are my very favorite!
Dark Currents is a fun, quick read. I didn't rate it any higher because the urban fantasy genre isn't my favorite. When I pick up a JC book I am hoping for more depth and substance.

SoubhiKiewiet | Mar 20, 2018 |
I was very ready to roll my eyes at this series... had read some of Carey's Cushiel series - lots of intrigue, high fantasy... this seemed so "lite".
But I enjoyed it. A bit of Harry Dresden meets Rachel Morgan on the set of Grimm... but I like all of those things, and it was not just a rehash.
I'll move on to the next in the series.... ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
If I were judging this book solely on an urban fantasy level, it was one of the better ones I've read. If I were judging it on what I know Jacqueline Carey's writing abilities, it wasn't quite as good as her Kushiel series.
However, because of the genre switch, I think that there is a level of change that should be expected in the writing style. It was still well written, it just took me a bit off guard having only previously read her fantasy novels.
There was a lot more humor in this urban fantasy then I have found in other series of the same genre. It helped to keep the pace going at a rate that I enjoyed, and never felt bogged down with too much seriousness.
I did feel that too much was crammed into the one book, mostly on the part of introducing different supernatural creatures. It seemed Carey wanted to get in every species in this first installment, and because of that the went off on tangents that seemed unnecessary. I feel like this could have been spread out throughout the series.
The protagonist, Daisy, is a very like-able and relate-able character, and had a lot of great characterization throughout the novel that endeared you to her, and kept you wanting more of her. She has an endearing quality about her that makes her one of the more memorable heroine's in the genre.
Unfortunately I felt Daisy was about the only well fleshed out character, while the other's were a little more two dimensional. They lacked the level of characterization I know Carey is capable of.
I also really loved that Carey took the time to explain why there was such a large supernatural presence in this particular town. In other series in the genre it can often be overlooked, and we just have to take for granted that all these creatures are in one spot. It was refreshing to have an explanation.
Definitely an Urban fantasy worth reading if you enjoy the genre. Jacqueline Carey is just simply an excellent writer. I will say though, for as much as I enjoyed this, I hope so badly that Carey returns to the fantasy genre soon. ( )
  Kiddboyblue | Dec 5, 2017 |

Carey, Jacquelineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Amell, AlissaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carey, KimAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kolesova, JulianaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramondo, AnthonyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was an idyllic summer evening in Pemkowet the night the Vanderhei kid died.
What with being a goddess and all, albeit a much diminished one, Hel keeps most of the eldritch folk in line. The rune inscribed on my left palm is a symbol that I'm licensed to enforce her rules and act as her liaison between the underworld and the mundane authorities. It works pretty well most of the time, at least with the eldritch who respect order. Unfortunately, there are plenty who prefer chaos. (chapter two)
As he turned to go, one of the protestors found an unexpected surge of courage and stepped forward to confront him. She held up a pendant of her own, a shiny gold cross, thrusting it toward Stefan's face.

'No sanctuary for Satanism!' Her voice shook a bit, and the cross trembled in her hand, but she stood her ground. 'Begone, fiend!'

Several tourists on the outskirts said, 'Ooh!' And I swear to God, a pair of teenage girls were dipping into bags of caramel corn and shoving it into their mouths like they were watching a movie. (chapter 29)

Jacqueline Carey, New York Times bestselling author of the acclaimed Kushiel’s Legacy novels, presents an all-new world featuring a woman caught between the normal and paranormal worlds, while enforcing order in both. Introducing Daisy Johanssen, reluctant hell-spawn…

The Midwestern resort town of Pemkowet boasts a diverse population: eccentric locals, wealthy summer people, and tourists by the busload; not to mention fairies, sprites, vampires, naiads, ogres and a whole host of eldritch folk, presided over by Hel, a reclusive Norse goddess.

To Daisy Johanssen, fathered by an incubus and raised by a single mother, it’s home. And as Hel’s enforcer and the designated liaison to the Pemkowet Police Department, it’s up to her to ensure relations between the mundane and eldritch communities run smoothly.

But when a young man from a nearby college drowns—and signs point to eldritch involvement—the town’s booming paranormal tourism trade is at stake. Teamed up with her childhood crush, Officer Cody Fairfax, a sexy werewolf on the down-low, Daisy must solve the crime—and keep a tight rein on the darker side of her nature. For if she’s ever tempted to invoke her demonic birthright, it could accidentally unleash nothing less than Armageddon.

"Small town Pemkowet, Mich., is a popular tourist destination for humans. It's also home to a thriving 'eldritch community' of supernatural entities, thanks to the presence of the local underworld controlled by the Norse goddess Hel. Daisy Johanssen, a half-demon trying to dodge her innate attraction to the 'Seven Deadlies' while functioning as Hel's agent on Earth and the local link between the eldritch community and the human police, is called in to help investigate the drowning of a local college boy when signs of both foul play and magical residue are found on the body."… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,502,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible