Dark Currents: Agent of Hel by Jacqueline…

Dark Currents: Agent of Hel (edition 2012)

by Jacqueline Carey

Member:krau0098
Title:Dark Currents: Agent of Hel
Authors:Jacqueline Carey
Info:Roc Hardcover (2012), Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Already Read, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:demons, fantasy, ghouls, urban fantasy, vampires, werewovles, mythology

Dark Currents by Jacqueline Carey (Author)

A new series that is set in a small town in the Midwest where the Fae and others can cross into our world. Sometimes you get a glimpse and sometimes it changes your world forever. Daisy is half demon that was conceived during a college weekend trip and now she is is the goddess Hel's mortal representative in town keeping all the non-mortals in line. The death of a visiting college student from a nearby uptight town brings her position out more in the public eye and more in contact with her secret crush. What I liked about this series setup is she has a good female friend and a good family relationship and she talks to both during the course of the book. I'm interested in reading the next ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
Pretty standard criminal investigation urban fantasy. Disappointing, because "standard" is not something you can say about any of Carey's other series (even if I couldn't get through Banewreaker). ( )
  ellen.w | Jun 1, 2014 |
  ellen.w | Jun 1, 2014 |
The start of a new urban fantasy trilogy, Dark Currents is definitely headed in the right direction! Taking place in a small tourist town of Pemkowet on the shores of Lake Michigan, I absolutely adored the feel of this community. Everyone knows everyone else and yet its not as low key as you would think because it is a bustling tourist town. It’s major draw is that it has an “Underworld” ruled by a Norse goddess, Hel. Her presence makes it possible for other creatures and people of the magical persuasion to exist in the mortal realm.

Now everyone knows humans love the magical and mystical creatures of any kind so this makes Pemkowet an attraction for lookie loos to hopefully catch a glimpse. The main character Daisy happens to be a half human, half demon that functions as Hel’s liaison between the Underworld and human community’s. She’s young and still learning the ropes of her job. Along with having an extremely hot temper she has to contend with constant temptation from her inclinations towards the seven deadly sins. Don’t start thinking Dark Currents is one of those Heaven vs Hell stories because it really isn’t – or at least I didn’t get that feeling. Daisy has a whole barrel of issues to deal with, from discrimination, her temperament and temptations possibly setting off Armageddon to having the hots for a certain werewolf in hiding coworker.

Dark Currents is one that stands out amongst the many urban fantasies I have read because while it had all of the elements there that an urban fantasy reader would look for, it still manages to bring something fresh and unique to the table. There is a wonderful mixture of lore from various cultures as well as a new type of creature I have definitely not seen before. Daisy has a strong personality that is equally matched by a great cast of supporting characters. Not to mention the sexy sizzle factor from a few of them. I can’t get my hands on the next book soon enough! ( )
  Pabkins | May 2, 2014 |
I'll admit that the main reason I bought this book was because I had a store credit at Porter Sq Books for almost exactly the cover price, but I really enjoyed it. The protagonist is irreverant and fallible and snarky and quite good at her supplementary job of investigating supernatural aspects of small town crime (her main job is as a file clerk at the police station). A rich young visitor is found drowned in the river and his conservative family is trying to ruin the tourist trade by saying that the supernatural beings who live in the small Michigan town are a dire threat. Daisy's a half demon and is working with an in the closet werewolf on this case, and there's a new ghoul in town who's helping out. I'm fairly sick of the love triangle thing, if her werewolf partner can stay friendly (hints point to no), and the ghoul is the temptation/bad boy, okay, but then near the end a new mostly human guy is added to the mix (his Jamaican heritage and easy going attitude were interesting, but Carey seems to be conflating Rastafarian with Jamaican). New guy is going to feature in the next book in the series, so we'll see. There's also some best friend drama, a lamia as a godmother, tempation from her demon father (that's the main special snowflake bit, she has the potential to bring on Armageddon *sigh*), and a good mother/daughter relationship that reminds me of Vicky and her mom from the Blood books (hope things don't end the same way!). ( )
  silentq | Mar 19, 2014 |
It was an idyllic summer evening in Pemkowet the night the Vanderhei kid died.

Jacqueline Carey, New York Times bestselling author of the acclaimed Kushiel’s Legacy novels, presents an all-new world featuring a woman caught between the normal and paranormal worlds, while enforcing order in both. Introducing Daisy Johanssen, reluctant hell-spawn…

The Midwestern resort town of Pemkowet boasts a diverse population: eccentric locals, wealthy summer people, and tourists by the busload; not to mention fairies, sprites, vampires, naiads, ogres and a whole host of eldritch folk, presided over by Hel, a reclusive Norse goddess.

To Daisy Johanssen, fathered by an incubus and raised by a single mother, it’s home. And as Hel’s enforcer and the designated liaison to the Pemkowet Police Department, it’s up to her to ensure relations between the mundane and eldritch communities run smoothly.

But when a young man from a nearby college drowns—and signs point to eldritch involvement—the town’s booming paranormal tourism trade is at stake. Teamed up with her childhood crush, Officer Cody Fairfax, a sexy werewolf on the down-low, Daisy must solve the crime—and keep a tight rein on the darker side of her nature. For if she’s ever tempted to invoke her demonic birthright, it could accidentally unleash nothing less than Armageddon.

"Small town Pemkowet, Mich., is a popular tourist destination for humans. It's also home to a thriving 'eldritch community' of supernatural entities, thanks to the presence of the local underworld controlled by the Norse goddess Hel. Daisy Johanssen, a half-demon trying to dodge her innate attraction to the 'Seven Deadlies' while functioning as Hel's agent on Earth and the local link between the eldritch community and the human police, is called in to help investigate the drowning of a local college boy when signs of both foul play and magical residue are found on the body."… (more)

64 wanted1 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,339,185 books! | Top bar: Always visible