Dark Currents: Agent of Hel by Jacqueline…

Dark Currents: Agent of Hel (edition 2012)

by Jacqueline Carey

Member:krau0098
Title:Dark Currents: Agent of Hel
Authors:Jacqueline Carey
Info:Roc Hardcover (2012), Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Already Read, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:demons, fantasy, ghouls, urban fantasy, vampires, werewovles, mythology

Dark Currents by Jacqueline Carey (Author)

This book made it up to three stars at times. In fact, I probably would have given it three stars if I had read it instead of listened to it. If I had read it, I could've skimmed over the little things that drove me insane. Also, it wouldn't have taken me 10 hours to read.

Dark Currents reminded me of a less interesting version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer structured around a police procedural instead of a high school drama. The plot was interesting, and I especially liked the Norse elements, Stefan in general, and Carey's really interesting take on ghouls/the outcast. Daisy's relationship with her mother and her devotion to her friend Jen were other highlights.

However, not only was there a love triangle (my biggest literary stumbling block), but then an additional guy was thrown in for good measure at the end. Also, Carey relied way too much on Daisy's tail to demonstrate any sort of emotional reaction. And every time Daisy lost her temper, I swear the text was copied and pasted in. Scent of ozone? Check. Mention of tail twitching? Check. Things rattling? Check. Also, the dialogue was not great, especially any sort of police-related dialogue (WAY over the top) and the constant "Gah!" from Daisy. What was with the "Gah!"? ( )
  knsievert | Nov 25, 2014 |

knsievert | Nov 25, 2014 |
A new series that is set in a small town in the Midwest where the Fae and others can cross into our world. Sometimes you get a glimpse and sometimes it changes your world forever. Daisy is half demon that was conceived during a college weekend trip and now she is is the goddess Hel's mortal representative in town keeping all the non-mortals in line. The death of a visiting college student from a nearby uptight town brings her position out more in the public eye and more in contact with her secret crush. What I liked about this series setup is she has a good female friend and a good family relationship and she talks to both during the course of the book. I'm interested in reading the next ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
Pretty standard criminal investigation urban fantasy. Disappointing, because "standard" is not something you can say about any of Carey's other series (even if I couldn't get through Banewreaker). ( )
  ellen.w | Jun 1, 2014 |
  ellen.w | Jun 1, 2014 |
It was an idyllic summer evening in Pemkowet the night the Vanderhei kid died.

Jacqueline Carey, New York Times bestselling author of the acclaimed Kushiel’s Legacy novels, presents an all-new world featuring a woman caught between the normal and paranormal worlds, while enforcing order in both. Introducing Daisy Johanssen, reluctant hell-spawn…

The Midwestern resort town of Pemkowet boasts a diverse population: eccentric locals, wealthy summer people, and tourists by the busload; not to mention fairies, sprites, vampires, naiads, ogres and a whole host of eldritch folk, presided over by Hel, a reclusive Norse goddess.

To Daisy Johanssen, fathered by an incubus and raised by a single mother, it’s home. And as Hel’s enforcer and the designated liaison to the Pemkowet Police Department, it’s up to her to ensure relations between the mundane and eldritch communities run smoothly.

But when a young man from a nearby college drowns—and signs point to eldritch involvement—the town’s booming paranormal tourism trade is at stake. Teamed up with her childhood crush, Officer Cody Fairfax, a sexy werewolf on the down-low, Daisy must solve the crime—and keep a tight rein on the darker side of her nature. For if she’s ever tempted to invoke her demonic birthright, it could accidentally unleash nothing less than Armageddon.

"Small town Pemkowet, Mich., is a popular tourist destination for humans. It's also home to a thriving 'eldritch community' of supernatural entities, thanks to the presence of the local underworld controlled by the Norse goddess Hel. Daisy Johanssen, a half-demon trying to dodge her innate attraction to the 'Seven Deadlies' while functioning as Hel's agent on Earth and the local link between the eldritch community and the human police, is called in to help investigate the drowning of a local college boy when signs of both foul play and magical residue are found on the body."… (more)

64 wanted1 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,343,067 books! | Top bar: Always visible