Dark Currents: Agent of Hel by Jacqueline…

Dark Currents: Agent of Hel (edition 2012)

by Jacqueline Carey

Member:krau0098
Title:Dark Currents: Agent of Hel
Authors:Jacqueline Carey
Info:Roc Hardcover (2012), Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Already Read, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:demons, fantasy, ghouls, urban fantasy, vampires, werewovles, mythology

Dark Currents by Jacqueline Carey

Buddy read with the Machalos

Okay. Some books just "get me", where I have instant fall-in-love right away chemistry. This was one of those books that charmed me first sight, no questions needed later. Clearly it's not that perfect for every one, but it was so up my alley it needs to rent a permanent parking space in there.

The book has cute humor, but to me this wasn't overbearing - I generally dislike books that lean too far in the cutesy direction to where they become fluffy stories and lack any dark or realist appeal. The character brings humor with her thoughts but she has a serious side, and the story holds its own degree of darkness.

The world building is creatively done - I've never heard of "ghouls" like this. They don't haunt graveyards of cemeteries - they are pale sort of like vampires but they're living. They're beings there death rejects them time and time again, neither Hell nor Heaven will allow them entrance, so they are cursed to stay behind on Earth and live through others emotions. At first it sounded creepy to the main character, but I can see the benefit of having someone around to drain off a little grief when you're overwhelmed by the death of a loved one, or the stress when things become too much to handle. Stefan completely intrigued me - I have a feeling it will end happily for him but tragically for me by the time I've read the third, final book. We shall see, but for now I find him absolutely dreamy.

The protagonist is Daisy, a fun lead who takes life seriously but knows how to unwind at the end of the day with sultry soul music, her cat, and laying on the couch while reading and pondering. She's funny in her way, cute in another way, just plain awesome. I read so much UF that I need breathers from the stereotypical character who is so bad ass it's unrealistic and who has an attitude that's overbearing rather than tough. Daisy is none of that - she's kind of socially awkward, has a crush forever on someone who doesn't return it, is sweet natured, but also does what she has to when it comes to her job as Hel's liason.

As for Hel....the Norse Goddess isn't shown much but the scenes where she is are cool enough. Cody as the partner is fascinating as well - that elusive, hidden werewolf pack family. He was funny when it was needed and added that hot pheromone touch.

The author threw a lot of characters in this to make it feel like a little town to get absorbed into - besides the main Daisy, Cody and Stefan, we get the friend Jen and her bizarre family with the fist-heavy father, battered mother and fragile brother. You have the vamp-addict, abused sister who is draining her own life by her desires. Water creatures, their interactions, drag queen crossdressing shop owners, tarot card reading mothers, protective ex-erotica movie llamas, you name it. It's here, and it's awesome.

There's a mystery trail to sniff and follow too, something I didn't guess right away - there's some obvious whodunit culprits but that doesn't matter since it's meant to be more a find and seek police case rather than an puzzle to solve.

It's cute and quirky and fun, but it's also dark and addictive. I'm already on the second book in the series, couldn't resist, just a shame there's only three. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Daisy has an interesting job: she works with the police in the town of Pemkowet to make sure relations between the mundane and eldritch communities remain calm. Being not quite human and not quite eldritch, owing to her mixed heritage, she seems to be the perfect fit for such a task. And indeed, she is. But when a college student drowns, the tourist trade of that resort town threatened and the eldritdh community is blamed. This tale has just the right mix of elements to make an interesting story from beginning to end: other-worldly characters, regular humans, romance, danger, and mystery, a little something for everyone. ( )
  Maydacat | Apr 25, 2016 |
It was okay. Not sure why Carey felt the need to switch into urban fantasy (besides that it's very popular). It just can't compete with the Kushiel books.
The characters are pretty two dimensional and I was never really convinced by the magical concept. I'm also, personally, pretty bored of people hijacking Norse mythology. ( )
  thedreadcat | Apr 9, 2016 |
Great for fans of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Haven, or Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series.
  ktoonen | Feb 1, 2016 |
Throw your idea of the normal supernatural regulars out with this book. There are more varieties and they are unique; Werewolves, Brownies, Vampires, Ghouls, Mermaids and more. The head Ghoul, is sexy with a beating heart and blood in his veins. Hel is a Norse goddess who rules supreme over the edritch (supernatural others) that live there.
Daisy is a half demon and agent of Hel. She was raised by her mother, and taught to be 'good.' She has to avoid temptation, called the seven deadlies. She will gain enormous power and then hell on earth will reign. Not easy when she's quick to lose her temper and her demon father is always trying to get her to come over to the dark side. She is single and looking, and there are some nice men to look at. She is a bit immature, and acts a bit like a teen, IMHO. She is new at this, and she grows up before the end of the book.
When a Frat boy turns up drowned, and his death points to supernatural causes, Daisy is partnered up with hot police officer Cody Fairfax. He long time crush. They work together hunting clues and trying to keep her on the non-evil side of the force. -She is a hot head- They meet up with Stefen, the head ghoul and hunky hotness that he his, he stole the show for me. : ) He has powers that can help and offers them. But can he be trusted ?
The humans is town don't like the supernaturals and this killing brings all the craziness out to disgrace the town and the police department. This could be the end of the uneasy balance the town has. The clock is set and them team must rush to solve this case before it gets really bad.
The bad-I was bothered by Daisy's tail, it is brought up too much. it was twitching, it was rubbing, it was...okay I get it she has a tail. The sexual torture, I hate this subject, but it was not detailed nor graphic and I appreciated that. I was also miffed at the lack of romance, but when dealing with the subject of the story i am relieved it was left out. It would have been totally inappropriate. So I guess it's not a problem, I just wanted it. LOL
There are two more books planned and I am jumping on them asap. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
It was an idyllic summer evening in Pemkowet the night the Vanderhei kid died.

Jacqueline Carey, New York Times bestselling author of the acclaimed Kushiel’s Legacy novels, presents an all-new world featuring a woman caught between the normal and paranormal worlds, while enforcing order in both. Introducing Daisy Johanssen, reluctant hell-spawn…

The Midwestern resort town of Pemkowet boasts a diverse population: eccentric locals, wealthy summer people, and tourists by the busload; not to mention fairies, sprites, vampires, naiads, ogres and a whole host of eldritch folk, presided over by Hel, a reclusive Norse goddess.

To Daisy Johanssen, fathered by an incubus and raised by a single mother, it’s home. And as Hel’s enforcer and the designated liaison to the Pemkowet Police Department, it’s up to her to ensure relations between the mundane and eldritch communities run smoothly.

But when a young man from a nearby college drowns—and signs point to eldritch involvement—the town’s booming paranormal tourism trade is at stake. Teamed up with her childhood crush, Officer Cody Fairfax, a sexy werewolf on the down-low, Daisy must solve the crime—and keep a tight rein on the darker side of her nature. For if she’s ever tempted to invoke her demonic birthright, it could accidentally unleash nothing less than Armageddon.

"Small town Pemkowet, Mich., is a popular tourist destination for humans. It's also home to a thriving 'eldritch community' of supernatural entities, thanks to the presence of the local underworld controlled by the Norse goddess Hel. Daisy Johanssen, a half-demon trying to dodge her innate attraction to the 'Seven Deadlies' while functioning as Hel's agent on Earth and the local link between the eldritch community and the human police, is called in to help investigate the drowning of a local college boy when signs of both foul play and magical residue are found on the body."… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,633,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible