The Murder Complex by Lindsay Cummings

The Murder Complex

by Lindsay Cummings

Well. You know. Quick read, interesting concept.

Terrible execution.

I have two big problems with this book. The first is, of course, Meadow and Zephyr's relationship. WHICH MADE NO DAMN SENSE.

Okay, I get it. He's a ward but the doctor said he was an essential citizen which tripped her up. Okay, cool.

The next day they officially meet. And then spontaneously decide to go on a date as soon as she gets off work.
**This is not your standard meet-cute**
And, you know, they're walking along talking about their families and drawing out their dark and sordid stories which gives them reasons to be upset with life. And Zephyr takes her someplace that she is not familiar with, DESPITE HER RELUCTANCE.
and then he goes crazy and tries to kill her
Were I her, I would have tracked back all the events of the afternoon and assumed he was leading me off to this secluded place with the intent of doing that.
But no. Because her reaction is wrong. That assumption, that totally rational assumption I would have had, warrants, you know:
running away...
calling the police...
kicking him in the balls...
Instead, Meadow tries to appeal to his better nature. "Zephyr, it's me, Meadow!" she cries dramatically. Which does not work, because they only officially met earlier today.

And then after that it was like this constant back and forth wherein one day Meadow's all like "Don't touch me, I don't trust you, you tried to kill me so stay back, crazy person." And then the next day, she's like. "Oh, but it wasn't your fault, and you're hot, so you're forgiven..." and then the next day she was back to hating him. Personally, I found the parts where she hated him to MUCH MORE BELIEVABLE, since, you know he tried to kill her.

My second big problem with this book was ALL THE KILLING. It felt senseless and baseless and like it wasn't fazing the characters. Well, it fazed Zephyr a little, I guess, but Meadow was very nonchalant about it.
That's the word!
All the killing in this book was so nonchalant. Like it didn't mean anything.

Death and killing and murder are big issues and they should not be handled so lightly. And it felt like their only purpose in this book was for the mere fact of bloodshed. Just for the sake of argument, let's list some books that handled the issue of murder and violence and death well.
The Hunger Games--I'm not a huge fan of this series, but Suzanne Collins took the topic of desensitization to violence and somehow managed to keep her character human in the process. she managed to make the deaths that occurred in her series MEAN something.
Divergent-- again, there is large amount of death in this series, but EACH DEATH counts and occurs to create an emotional reaction in the characters and in me, the reader.
The Brokenhearted-- in this book, the main character goes a little vigilante on our asses, but she has a REASON ans when she kills people, IT MEANS SOMETHING
Lindsay Cummings failed in both making the deaths that occurred MEAN SOMETHING and creating an emotional reaction in me or in her main characters.

Very disappointing.

I DID like Meadow's family however. Especially her brother. I've said before, I have brothers, and I like to think that if there were a world-ending situation, after personal survival, they would be my top priority and I would be theirs.

Yeah. I sorta want to know what happens, so I might read the next book. We'll see.

Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
SO GOOD. Lots of action and blood and gore and a very interesting plot/world. I really enjoyed the characters, however I will say I felt like there were some important informational things missing and some aspects were a bit predictable.

DAT ENDING THOUGH. It's one of those weird endings where it could be left as is and we can make assumptions about what happens next OR there could be a book two.

I vote for a book two!

Loved this book! Much recommend if you enjoy fast paced action and aren't afraid to read about blood, gore and death. ( )
  mmalyn | Feb 24, 2018 |
Solid dystopian story. Enough twists to set it apart from the rest. A good read. ( )
  Kaytron | Feb 28, 2017 |
Once I started reading The Murder Complex, I couldn’t stop. It’s full of action, romance, secrets, and conspiracy. Everything I could possibly want in a book.

I can’t imagine what led Cummings to write this novel, but I’m so glad she did. We have a dual point of view from Meadow and Zephyr. I love Meadow. She’s badass, and doesn’t take crap from anyone. She also learns to follow her instincts. There are so many truths she has to uncover it’s unreal. Some of the situations she gets herself in are scary. I couldn’t imagine having to live the way she does and have to fight for what’s mine. I also love Zephyr. He’s caring, which is odd since he’s an assassin and all that. But he wants to take care of the world, pretty much. I love how the two meet. And there were times I wondered if it was forced or if they met naturally.

The Murder Complex is action packed. There’s a situation around every corner. And it’s not hard to believe in this new society that people live in. I wouldn’t want to be tracked as closely as they are. The population is also starving. They have ration credits they can use, and I can’t see having to turn away people, or give them barely any food. I’m definitely not cut out for this world. Some of the plot twists I never saw coming. I always think that’s a plus!

The Murder Complex is a captivating dystopian that I hope others enjoy as much as I did. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
Meadow Woodson, a fifteen-year-old girl who has been trained by her father to fight, to kill, and to survive in any situation, lives with her family on a houseboat in Florida. The state is controlled by The Murder Complex, an organization that tracks the population with precision. The plot starts to thicken when Meadow meets Zephyr James, who is—although he doesn’t know it—one of the MC’s programmed assassins. Is their meeting a coincidence? Destiny? Or is it part of a terrifying strategy? And will Zephyr keep Meadow from discovering the haunting truth about her family?

The Murder Complex tried really hard to be different. In the end, it was still set in a city closed off from the rest of the world and run by a strict government. Sound familiar? It sure felt familiar. The only real difference is the murder complex itself. The murder complex idea is really interesting and has potential, it just fell a bit flat. Hopefully it will improve in the next book.

I'm going to come right out and say it: Meadow is a psychopath. A few fries short of a happy meal. First off, the chick kills with absolutely no remorse. None. Yeah, I get its all to help her family. I get it. But still, I feel like she was overly ruthless. Once you start to get over Meadow's brutality, you realize she's also completely bipolar. One chapter she is threatining to kill Zephyr, the next she's all up on him; holding his hand, kissing him, or using his as a human pillow. It was not only irritating, but it also makes Meadow that much harder to understand. Another agravating trait Meadow flaunts is her on and off bursts of self sacrafice. It's on and off with her. She's either sacraficing herself left and right, or seriously contemplates killing all of her companions. Meadow is just a completely on-and-off character and its annoying and barely tolerable.

All in all, I hated Meadow and was completely indifferent about Zephyr, and there were really know other substantial characters for me to pass jugement on. The general plot was good, but needs work. Hopefully it will be improved in the next book. I'm looking forward to book two but I'm hoping for some redemption and hopefully some better character portrayal. The Murder Complex has real promise, but needs some overall TLC. ( )
  AlllyCat | Apr 28, 2015 |

In a world where the murder rate is higher than the birth rate, fifteen-year-old Meadow, trained by her father to kill and survive in any situation, falls in love with Zephyr, a government assassin.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,550,320 books! | Top bar: Always visible