The Last Man by Vince Flynn

The Last Man

by Vince Flynn

Series: Mitch Rapp (13)

Enjoyed this one very much. Good plot, good pace of story, thoroughly enjoyed Rapp's various rants through the book. Tinged with sadness that there won't be another one by Vince Flynn. ( )
  libgirl69 | Mar 14, 2014 |
Another fast-paced and interesting book in the series with Rapp as the primary character. Unfortunately the authors untimely death ends this run. He will be missed. ( )
  labdaddy4 | Jan 13, 2014 |
More like a 4.5 Stars. Vintage Flynn. More engrossing than the previous novel. ( )
  Fidget78 | Jan 5, 2014 |
Unfortunately, Vince Flynn's "The Last Man" was his last book before his untimely death. Fortunately, it's one of the best in the series.

I thought the series struggled a bit some years back as the books became too preachy. But this one keeps the politics out, but the bad assess, and bad guys, in. CIA assassin Mitch Rapp was in full force in this one.

"The Last Man," which takes place in "present day," (as opposed to the last few that were prequels), sees the very well-networked CIA operative Joe Rickman kidnapped in Afghanistan. Because Rick (as he's known) knows so many state secrets, it's imperative that the CIA bring in the best to find him. And of course, "the best" means Rapp. But there are double-crosses everywhere and only the shrewd figure out what's real and what's not.

Even when Flynn wasn't at his finest, his books were still good. But when he was on top of his game, well, there was no one better. RIP, Vince.

SPOILER: Mitch gets knocked out by an explosion and goes through a period of amnesia. This was quite interesting and I thought Flynn could have done a bit more with it. But Rapp recovers in a pretty quick amount of time before he's off doing his thing again. I liked the idea of him struggling with the kind of person everyone tells him he is. It would have been nice to see some change in him due to the injury. Not that I didn't want him to still be a bad-ass, but still, it would have made an interesting twist. ( )
  Jarratt | Oct 11, 2013 |

I have enjoyed all of Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp books. They have fast paced plots, realistic fights, accurate use of high tech equipment and interesting characters. The last two books in the Mitch Rapp series, American Assassin and Kill Shot, were prequels and were passable. The latest installment, The Last Man, is a story spun out of current event thread and is a weak addition to the series.

Joe Rickman, an important CIA asset in Afghanistan, who knows names of agents and spies, is kidnapped. Rapp is assigned to find Rickman before he can be forced to reveal what he knows. From the start Rapp is suspicious and as the complications pile up he becomes convinced the CIA is under direct attack.

The story started out well and I was expecting vintage Flynn but the plot soon bogged down. While the fights and gun battles didn't disappoint the plot weighted this Rapp story down. It was just too predictable, everything the opposite of what it seems, Mitch ignores orders, the corrupt politician and the bureaucrats too stupid to get out of the hired gun's (Mitch's) way. The ending was weak, anticlimactic, way too predictable and left several loose ends.
I also see a disturbing trend of using increasing doses of profanity. I assume this is to exhibit macho-ness but Flynn didn't need it in his earlier books and I wonder why he thinks he needs it now.

Rapp has been a character who is a stone cold killer but one with a hidden vein of humanity. That humanity was sorely missed in this installment. This is a great loss for the character and the reader. The supporting cast in The Last Man has no depth at all. Hurley, Coleman and Kennedy all have pieces in this story be we never see more than superficial reflections of these characters.

A new and annoying wrinkle was a constant repetition of information and catch phrases. I got annoyed by this about mid way through the book. Yes I know this. Don't tell me, yet again.

I like Flynn. His writing is tight, his characters (up till now) well written and interesting, his plots well thought out. The Last Man was a disappointment in all these areas for me. I hope the next installment will have the benefit of better editing and critique. I'll read the next one but Vince is on probation.
  NickVellis | May 6, 2013 |

Vince Flynnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all my teachers and coaches at Saint Thomas Academy who taught me that to succeed in life you need to raise the bar, not lower iy.
The four dead men were lined up on the living room floor of the safe house.

The four dead guards didn’t concern Mitch Rapp as much as the absence of the man they’d been paid to protect. Joe Rickman wasn’t just another foot soldier. For the last eight years Rickman had ran the CIA’s clandestine operations in Afghanistan. It was a murky job that involved working with virtually every disreputable figure in the Islamic Republic. More than a quarter billion dollars in cash had passed through Rickman’s hands during his tenure as the master of black ops and no one with a shred of sense wanted to know the details of how that money had been spent.

At first glance it looks as if Rickman has been kidnapped, but Rapp knows certain things about his old friend that cause him to wonder if something more disturbing isn’t afoot. Irene Kennedy, the director of the CIA, has ordered Rapp to find Rickman at all costs. Rapp must navigate the ever-shifting landscape of Afghanistan as the Taliban, Iranians, Pakistanis and Russians all plot to claim their piece of the war torn state.

With Afghanistan crumbling around him, Rapp must be as ruthless as his enemies and as deceitful as people in his own government if he has any hopes of completing his mission.

When a CIA black ops master with ties to disreputable figures in Afghanistan goes missing, Mitch Rapp is ordered to track down the missing man at all costs and finds himself enmeshed in a dangerous plot involving the interests of numerous countries.

274 wanted2 pay4 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,621,367 books! | Top bar: Always visible