The Last Man by Vince Flynn

The Last Man

by Vince Flynn

Series: Mitch Rapp (13)

I found this book a little disappointing. I seemed to drop track on the plot occasionally--the errors in fact were grating. Further, Rapp survives multiple wounds, being blown up, and is back at work. HUH? And, of course, there's always the bad guys from the middle east. Gotta have those or it wouldn't be Rapp. ( )
  buffalogr | Mar 31, 2018 |
When a high level CIA operative goes missing, the CIA unleashes their version of a Hellfire missile, Mitch Rapp, out in Afghanistan to find him before he spills all of his secrets to the enemy, which in this case are Islamic terrorists. Very early in the novel, he experiences major head trauma and loses much of his memory. He has to relive much of his past in order to regain those memories. This novel is layered with subterfuge and misdirection. Mitch has to battle through all of the lies and traps that are in this novel while creating maximum carnage.

I have some mixed feelings about this novel. On the one hand, I enjoy reading about Mitch Rapp. He’s the type of person that I want defending me. He doesn’t give a damn about playing politics. Nor does he care about who he pisses off, just as long as achieves his objective. Mitch is the proverbial bull in the China shop. This novel has many of the elements that I enjoy in this series. On the downside, without trying to spoil things, there is some serious lack of believability, especially when it comes to what certain characters will do to create the subterfuge that I mentioned. It’s a bit much and took away from my enjoyment. There was also a level of predictability here as well. It’s an enjoyable read, but those things take away from it being a great novel.

Carl Alves – author of Blood Street ( )
  Carl_Alves | Jan 6, 2018 |
I feel like it would have helped to have read Consent to Kill before I read this. There a lot of references to Louie Gould's past with Mitch. ( )
  nx74defiant | Dec 8, 2017 |
4 ( )
  Amanda105 | Sep 5, 2016 |
very good read, fast action, hard to put down ( )
  petrichor8 | Jun 6, 2016 |

Vince Flynnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all my teachers and coaches at Saint Thomas Academy who taught me that to succeed in life you need to raise the bar, not lower iy.
The four dead men were lined up on the living room floor of the safe house.

The four dead guards didn’t concern Mitch Rapp as much as the absence of the man they’d been paid to protect. Joe Rickman wasn’t just another foot soldier. For the last eight years Rickman had ran the CIA’s clandestine operations in Afghanistan. It was a murky job that involved working with virtually every disreputable figure in the Islamic Republic. More than a quarter billion dollars in cash had passed through Rickman’s hands during his tenure as the master of black ops and no one with a shred of sense wanted to know the details of how that money had been spent.

At first glance it looks as if Rickman has been kidnapped, but Rapp knows certain things about his old friend that cause him to wonder if something more disturbing isn’t afoot. Irene Kennedy, the director of the CIA, has ordered Rapp to find Rickman at all costs. Rapp must navigate the ever-shifting landscape of Afghanistan as the Taliban, Iranians, Pakistanis and Russians all plot to claim their piece of the war torn state.

With Afghanistan crumbling around him, Rapp must be as ruthless as his enemies and as deceitful as people in his own government if he has any hopes of completing his mission.

When a CIA black ops master with ties to disreputable figures in Afghanistan goes missing, Mitch Rapp is ordered to track down the missing man at all costs and finds himself enmeshed in a dangerous plot involving the interests of numerous countries.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,470,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible