The Last Man by Vince Flynn

The Last Man (edition 2012)

by Vince Flynn, John Vairo Jr (Cover designer), Mzrk Owen (Cover artist), Dana Sloan (Designer)

Member:flabuckeye
Title:The Last Man
Authors:Vince Flynn (Author)
Other authors:John Vairo Jr (Cover designer), Mzrk Owen (Cover artist), Dana Sloan (Designer)
Info:New York : Emily Bestler Books/Atria Books, 2012.
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction, Switzerland, Afghanistan, Virginia, USCIA, Dona, mystery

The Last Man by Vince Flynn

Mitch Rapp as created by Vince Flynn is to the CIA what Sean Drummond as created by Brian Haig is to the Black Court (where special forces members are tried in a manner that the nature of their confidential missions will not be exposed). That is not to say that Mitch Rapp is a lawyer - far from it - but both provide intrigue and respect for the life they have chosen to protect and defend the United States and the freedom we hold so dear. Behind-the-scenes in fictional life reading to global headlines, there is a realism that is one-of-a-kind to the creation of their characters and brings an awareness of the sacrifices of the many national heroes who sacrifice so much and we'll never know their names. ( )
  Corduroy7 | Dec 26, 2015 |
Good read....solid Flynn. I would put this in the middle, quality-wise, of the Flynn books I have read, but that still makes it a good page-turner. Instead of Mitch Rapp, I felt the real star in this one was Irene Kennedy, CIA director, but Flynn saved the best part, and Rapp, for the end. Very interesting dynamics between Rapp and his dying mentor, Stan Hurley, during the last 1/4 of the book. I wish Flynn could explore that more in the next book. ( )
  utbw42 | Dec 15, 2014 |
We Temporarily see a softer side to Mitch Rapp when he get amnesia from being blown up! I was like OMG he better not turn into a Puss! He didn't Rapp's better than ever! ( )
  redheadish | Nov 1, 2014 |

I have enjoyed all of Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp books. They have fast paced plots, realistic fights, accurate use of high tech equipment and interesting characters. The last two books in the Mitch Rapp series, American Assassin and Kill Shot, were prequels and were passable. The latest installment, The Last Man, is a story spun out of current event thread and is a weak addition to the series.

Joe Rickman, an important CIA asset in Afghanistan, who knows names of agents and spies, is kidnapped. Rapp is assigned to find Rickman before he can be forced to reveal what he knows. From the start Rapp is suspicious and as the complications pile up he becomes convinced the CIA is under direct attack.

The story started out well and I was expecting vintage Flynn but the plot soon bogged down. While the fights and gun battles didn't disappoint the plot weighted this Rapp story down. It was just too predictable, everything the opposite of what it seems, Mitch ignores orders, the corrupt politician and the bureaucrats too stupid to get out of the hired gun's (Mitch's) way. The ending was weak, anticlimactic, way too predictable and left several loose ends.
I also see a disturbing trend of using increasing doses of profanity. I assume this is to exhibit macho-ness but Flynn didn't need it in his earlier books and I wonder why he thinks he needs it now.

Rapp has been a character who is a stone cold killer but one with a hidden vein of humanity. That humanity was sorely missed in this installment. This is a great loss for the character and the reader. The supporting cast in The Last Man has no depth at all. Hurley, Coleman and Kennedy all have pieces in this story be we never see more than superficial reflections of these characters.

A new and annoying wrinkle was a constant repetition of information and catch phrases. I got annoyed by this about mid way through the book. Yes I know this. Don't tell me, yet again.

I like Flynn. His writing is tight, his characters (up till now) well written and interesting, his plots well thought out. The Last Man was a disappointment in all these areas for me. I hope the next installment will have the benefit of better editing and critique. I'll read the next one but Vince is on probation.
  nvellis01 | Aug 11, 2014 |

nvellis01 | Aug 11, 2014 |

Vince Flynnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all my teachers and coaches at Saint Thomas Academy who taught me that to succeed in life you need to raise the bar, not lower iy.
The four dead men were lined up on the living room floor of the safe house.

The four dead guards didn’t concern Mitch Rapp as much as the absence of the man they’d been paid to protect. Joe Rickman wasn’t just another foot soldier. For the last eight years Rickman had ran the CIA’s clandestine operations in Afghanistan. It was a murky job that involved working with virtually every disreputable figure in the Islamic Republic. More than a quarter billion dollars in cash had passed through Rickman’s hands during his tenure as the master of black ops and no one with a shred of sense wanted to know the details of how that money had been spent.

At first glance it looks as if Rickman has been kidnapped, but Rapp knows certain things about his old friend that cause him to wonder if something more disturbing isn’t afoot. Irene Kennedy, the director of the CIA, has ordered Rapp to find Rickman at all costs. Rapp must navigate the ever-shifting landscape of Afghanistan as the Taliban, Iranians, Pakistanis and Russians all plot to claim their piece of the war torn state.

With Afghanistan crumbling around him, Rapp must be as ruthless as his enemies and as deceitful as people in his own government if he has any hopes of completing his mission.

When a CIA black ops master with ties to disreputable figures in Afghanistan goes missing, Mitch Rapp is ordered to track down the missing man at all costs and finds himself enmeshed in a dangerous plot involving the interests of numerous countries.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,851,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible