The Last Man by Vince Flynn

The Last Man (edition 2012)

by Vince Flynn, John Vairo Jr (Cover designer), Mzrk Owen (Cover artist), Dana Sloan (Designer)

Member:flabuckeye
Title:The Last Man
Authors:Vince Flynn (Author)
Other authors:John Vairo Jr (Cover designer), Mzrk Owen (Cover artist), Dana Sloan (Designer)
Info:New York : Emily Bestler Books/Atria Books, 2012.
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction, Switzerland, Afghanistan, Virginia, USCIA, Dona, mystery

The Last Man by Vince Flynn

Recently added byScottG43, strimp099, lynetterl, Malxswan, private library, johnnymelton1, BStaats, shawn.raiford

Good read....solid Flynn. I would put this in the middle, quality-wise, of the Flynn books I have read, but that still makes it a good page-turner. Instead of Mitch Rapp, I felt the real star in this one was Irene Kennedy, CIA director, but Flynn saved the best part, and Rapp, for the end. Very interesting dynamics between Rapp and his dying mentor, Stan Hurley, during the last 1/4 of the book. I wish Flynn could explore that more in the next book. ( )
  utbw42 | Dec 15, 2014 |
We Temporarily see a softer side to Mitch Rapp when he get amnesia from being blown up! I was like OMG he better not turn into a Puss! He didn't Rapp's better than ever! ( )
  redheadish | Nov 1, 2014 |

I have enjoyed all of Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp books. They have fast paced plots, realistic fights, accurate use of high tech equipment and interesting characters. The last two books in the Mitch Rapp series, American Assassin and Kill Shot, were prequels and were passable. The latest installment, The Last Man, is a story spun out of current event thread and is a weak addition to the series.

Joe Rickman, an important CIA asset in Afghanistan, who knows names of agents and spies, is kidnapped. Rapp is assigned to find Rickman before he can be forced to reveal what he knows. From the start Rapp is suspicious and as the complications pile up he becomes convinced the CIA is under direct attack.

The story started out well and I was expecting vintage Flynn but the plot soon bogged down. While the fights and gun battles didn't disappoint the plot weighted this Rapp story down. It was just too predictable, everything the opposite of what it seems, Mitch ignores orders, the corrupt politician and the bureaucrats too stupid to get out of the hired gun's (Mitch's) way. The ending was weak, anticlimactic, way too predictable and left several loose ends.
I also see a disturbing trend of using increasing doses of profanity. I assume this is to exhibit macho-ness but Flynn didn't need it in his earlier books and I wonder why he thinks he needs it now.

Rapp has been a character who is a stone cold killer but one with a hidden vein of humanity. That humanity was sorely missed in this installment. This is a great loss for the character and the reader. The supporting cast in The Last Man has no depth at all. Hurley, Coleman and Kennedy all have pieces in this story be we never see more than superficial reflections of these characters.

A new and annoying wrinkle was a constant repetition of information and catch phrases. I got annoyed by this about mid way through the book. Yes I know this. Don't tell me, yet again.

I like Flynn. His writing is tight, his characters (up till now) well written and interesting, his plots well thought out. The Last Man was a disappointment in all these areas for me. I hope the next installment will have the benefit of better editing and critique. I'll read the next one but Vince is on probation.
  nvellis01 | Aug 11, 2014 |

nvellis01 | Aug 11, 2014 |
Jeffery Ellison and Monica Collins face off daily in Atlanta’s family court system. Both want the best for their clients but they rarely agree. The sparks are obvious to everyone else, but Monica has been disappointed by men too many times. Jeff knows pushing her will only hurt the respect and trust they’ve built. A match with 1NS sounds like just the thing. The pair is off to Vegas for a legal conference and to enjoy their one night stands. Jeff does his best to spend time with her outside of work but he can’t be sure she’s his for the night. All he can do is hope that Madame Eve agrees with his heart and Monica will let her guard down long enough to see their passionate potential.

Whew! All right, now I have said that I can tell you Ms. Dragon has given us a very romantic tale. I loved how Jeff worked very hard to get past the barriers Monica put up, and I loved how Monica was able to tear down some of the walls herself. I have purchased other Cheryl Dragon stories by several publishers, but it doesn’t matter to me who publishes her story, I always look forward to reading them!

~ TRS for ARe Cafe ( )
  AReCafe | May 23, 2014 |

Vince Flynnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all my teachers and coaches at Saint Thomas Academy who taught me that to succeed in life you need to raise the bar, not lower iy.
The four dead men were lined up on the living room floor of the safe house.

The four dead guards didn’t concern Mitch Rapp as much as the absence of the man they’d been paid to protect. Joe Rickman wasn’t just another foot soldier. For the last eight years Rickman had ran the CIA’s clandestine operations in Afghanistan. It was a murky job that involved working with virtually every disreputable figure in the Islamic Republic. More than a quarter billion dollars in cash had passed through Rickman’s hands during his tenure as the master of black ops and no one with a shred of sense wanted to know the details of how that money had been spent.

At first glance it looks as if Rickman has been kidnapped, but Rapp knows certain things about his old friend that cause him to wonder if something more disturbing isn’t afoot. Irene Kennedy, the director of the CIA, has ordered Rapp to find Rickman at all costs. Rapp must navigate the ever-shifting landscape of Afghanistan as the Taliban, Iranians, Pakistanis and Russians all plot to claim their piece of the war torn state.

With Afghanistan crumbling around him, Rapp must be as ruthless as his enemies and as deceitful as people in his own government if he has any hopes of completing his mission.

When a CIA black ops master with ties to disreputable figures in Afghanistan goes missing, Mitch Rapp is ordered to track down the missing man at all costs and finds himself enmeshed in a dangerous plot involving the interests of numerous countries.

274 wanted2 pay4 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,381,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible