Prodigy: A Legend Novel by Marie Lu

Prodigy: A Legend Novel (edition 2013)

by Marie Lu

Title:Prodigy: A Legend Novel
Authors:Marie Lu
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2013), Hardcover, 384 pages
Tags:Young Adult, Dystopian

Prodigy by Marie Lu

English (87)  German (1)  All languages (88)
Actual rating: 3.5

June and Day are faced with adversity which comes in the form of the Republic, the Patriots and the Colonies. Using their acquired skills, they are able to uncover hidden plots, escape capture and take the readers on an adventurous journey.

I was so excited to start the next book in Lu's Prodigy series, but I came away with mixed feelings about. The character development and story line themselves were great. Lu has a way of making you feel connected to even the smallest of secondary characters and the world she builds around them has great depth. However, I really struggled through the first half of the book. I think I expected more action up front and instead there is a lot of planning and inner thoughts. This is not necessarily a bad thing, if anything it helps with the growth of the story, I just felt it is slow paced, especially in comparison to the second half.
  Kristymk18 | Nov 12, 2015 |
Sequel to Champion
Prodigy By: Marie Lu

Day and June are still together after the escape and are seeking cover from the government who are now after them. The news broke out that the Elector died and his son will take his place. June and Day take freight trains to travel through the Republic to join up with the Patriots. The Patriots is an association that has been working against the government undercover and has let June and Day join. Day’s finds his long-lost friend Tess that has already been working with the Patriots. The Patriots’ plan to kill the Elector (president). Before killing the Elector, the Patriots sabotage a train full of supplies. June’s mission is to go back to the Elector and tell him that what she did to save Day was wrong and she warns him about the Patriots false plan. The real plan is on the route the Elector will take and the Patriots are in their positions. The Patriots will have Day kill the Elector so a revolution breaks out. While June has known more of the Elector, she decides that the new Elector is not as bad as his father and he should have a chance to change the Republic. While the car is driving through a Patriot invested street she climbs out and signals to Day to not kill the Elector. Day throws a dust bomb on the street and together Day and June get the Elector to safety. The Patriots, furious, are now after Day and June. Day and June are now heading to the Colonies of America! After running through the sewers, Day asked June why she did that. June tells him that the new Elector is not the same as his father. Day and June climb out of the sewers and start the long trail to the Colonies’ land. Once they arrive, they are greeted by people who have seen Day and know who he is. June needs medical attention with a very strong fever. Crowds are outside of the hospital cheering for Day. In the crowds, he spots Kaede, one of the many Patriots that helped him escape from the Republic jail. He decides to leave June in the room and set off to see her. He finds her in an alleyway off the main street. “Day, you need to see something for yourself”, Kaede says and leads him off to some old building that look like they’re about to collapse on themselves. Kaede explains to him that this is where the poor sector lives where families who don’t have enough money to support themselves live. “The colonies might seem perfect, but they’re not,” Kaede says. Meanwhile, the guards and nurses find out June is from a patrol in the Republic. They start to bring her down the building when Day and Kaede reach her and start fighting the guards. Kaede and Day bring June up the steps to where the aircrafts are landed. Kaede knows how to fly one and takes off in the air with the Colonies’ soldiers right behind her boarding the other crafts. Kaede knows how to fly these crafts pretty well and dodges the many aircrafts right behind her with bullets flying left and right. In the distance, the Republic is seen but the aircrafts are still on her tail while she zooms into the Republic city swerving through buildings. The Republic soldiers have noticed the arrival of Colonies’ jets and are coming out on the streets. While, Kaede is landing, the jet jerks downward and lands. Day and June climb out only to find Kaede dead and Republic soldiers approaching. Rebels fill the streets while Day and June run through the crowds away from the Republic soldiers. “Day, I am slowing you down, go and make your announcement to the Republic without me, I’ll wait for you in the crowds,” June says, and she loses herself in the crowd. Day has reached the Capitol Tower and the crowd goes silent. “Republic citizens,” he speaks into the microphone and his image is seen in every screen. Day tells the people that they should help the Elector rebuild the Country and give him a chance. After his announcement, the people subside and the Elector has Day’s little brother, Eden, returned to him and the Republic under control. The Elector has asked June if the wants to be a Princeps-Elect (the position under the Elector). After Day and June have settled in, Day comes to talk with June. “June, the Republic needs you, and I am just a figurehead, but you can save the Republic, our relationship together will not work out since now we have jobs and careers,” he says, and leaves June’s apartment building with a kiss.
This book really thrilled me and I was fully immersed in the book. There were some turn of events in the story that I did not expect. The Prodigy is full of action and wonder. The book was adventurous and the writer expressed the hatred and agony of losing your loved ones very clearly. I loved the book because of the story line, the combat and tactics, and the family loss they both suffered together. ( )
  alexandera.b1 | Oct 27, 2015 |
A very exciting and suspenseful sequel to Legend. June and Day must join up with the rebel faction the "Patriots" in order to get medical care and to have any chance of rescuing Day's younger brother from wherever he is being held. But they have to make a deal: they promise to help the Patriots assassinate the new Elector Primo! (Kind of like the dictator of the Republic) Just as they've resigned themselves to this difficult task, going undercover in the Republic army, they both come to realize there is more going on under the surface. This entry in the series continues the romance, although Day and June have many obstacles in their way, and reasons to doubt each others' love. I also enjoyed getting to know more about the history of the Republic/Colonies split. The politics angle is discussed just enough to keep your interest and not glaze your eyes over. :-) And of course, we end on a cliffhanger because there is a book 3 coming. ( )
  GoldieBug | Sep 19, 2015 |
I tried...i really did, but for the life of me i couldn't get into it.

I found myself spacing out and having to consciously try and focus on a novel. Whenever that happens it's not good.

Came at the point where June and Day meet the Patriots, and marveled at the ease the Republic biggest enemy simply divulges all their plans at the bat of an eyelid, without any concern for their safety.

The first novel was interesting enough after it took it forever to get started. The plot was so slow moving i started growing moss on my eyelids...

So when faced with the same dilemma again, i chose to go down the 'fuck it- life is too short' route.
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
I take off my hat to Marie Lu for this extraordinary and jaw dropping sequel. Wow! Thinking back to the time when I refused to read the Legend series because I thought it would be just another YA dystopian, I realize what an idiot I was. I was truly missing out!

Prodigy is my favorite book out of this trilogy. The world building that the first book was lacking is explained in this book in such specific detail that I was left in awe. I admire Lu for her ability to not only develop her world flawlessly but also her characters.

Speaking of her characters... AHHHHHHHHHH!

They were so perfect, so real, so pleasant to read about; I was emotionally connected to them and therefore felt everything each character felt in such a realistic way that I felt as if I was being stabbed repeatedly. The characters were badass and at the same time vulnerable beyond belief which in a way worked extremely well. As rare as it is, I loved every single character equally. Each character knew how to manage themselves in all the crazy situations they were thrown in and I found myself at the edge of my seat during the majority of the book. It felt like I was watching an action movie but instead the action came in words and it was just as nerve-wracking.

Prodigy was heart-wrenching and I no longer know what to do or how to live with myself.
I need help. I loved this book so much.
It was:
  mararina | Jul 23, 2015 |
Day jolts awake beside me.

June and Day make their way to Las Vegas where they join the rebel Patriot group and become involved in an assassination plot against the Elector in hopes of saving the Republic.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,912,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible