Prodigy: A Legend Novel by Marie Lu

Prodigy: A Legend Novel (edition 2013)

by Marie Lu

Member:elissa_kay
Title:Prodigy: A Legend Novel
Authors:Marie Lu
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2013), Hardcover, 384 pages
Tags:Young Adult, Dystopian

Prodigy by Marie Lu

English (69)  German (1)  All languages (70)
Prodigy is a book about a boy and a girl. They boy's name is day and the girl's name is June. The book starts with them joining a rebel group called the patriots. There they are ordered to kill the Elector (aka president).
They find out that the rebel group is bad and the realize the Elector needs to be saved. The both of them sabatoge the patriots plan and get the Elector away safely. They fled out into another country none as the colonies. They stay there safely until they find out the Elector needs help. So the go back to find that the whole Republic is rioting against the Elector. They join the Elector and restore the Republic with him.
Prodigy was a very good book packed with action, adventure, and mystery. I would give it five stars because it had many details and it was impossible for me to put the book down. I liked it because it was post apocolyptic. I like post apocolyptic books because they all have different reasons for their new world. I am also very excited for the next and last book of the series. ( )
  GavynG.B1 | Oct 14, 2014 |
-Spoiler Alert!-

Prodigy, the second action-packed adventure novel of the trilogy by Marie Lu is (like the first one) told from two viewpoints - June, the Republic of America's most prized prodigy, and Day, the Republic's most wanted criminal who is also the people's hero. The story begins where the first novel left off with the pair escaping the Republic's grasp and heading towards Las Vegas when something unpredictable happens - the Elector Primo (who is the leader of the republic) dies and his son, Anden, becomes the new Elector. The Republic empire becomes too unstable, so the two main characters join the Patriots. The Patriots are a band of anti-Republic soldiers, who, in exchange for June and Day's help, would assist Day to get his younger brother, Eden, back, and help the to escape to the Colonies. June and Day swear to help the Patriots. They tell them that they need help assassinating the new Elector. They agree and June is set off to trick Anden into accepting a decoy plan. However, as June gets to know Anden, she realizes that h is NOT his evil father. In fact, Anden might be a new beginning! She tries to tell Day to quit this plan, but Day only realizes that Anden is a good leader halfway throughout the assassination attempt. Day tries to help the Elector escape, but June and day have no time. The Patriots chase after them, but luckily they are too slow. The pair escape into the Colonies, which they think is a place of refuge and freedom, but they find out that it is exactly like the Republic. They decide to return to the Republic and Day tells the people that the newElector is good and his advisors are the ones who are greedy and selfish. The people agree. After that, Day is taken to the hospital to mend some of his injuries. During the doctors' tests, they discover that Day's brain is dying. While Anden encourages June to be the Princeps, the view-Elector, June does't want to because this position would prohibit June from spending time with Day. However, Day convinces her to take the job because he secretly knows he's dying and it would be best for everyone.

This breathtaking book was full of surprises. Surprisingly, it was a fast paced sequel. Most sequels I've read have been slow. Prodigy is a roller coaster of love, hate, thrill, and conflict. This book kept me hooked the entire time. Marie Lu is an amazing author. I can't wait for the third and final book of the trilogy, Champion! ( )
  MeganS.B3 | Oct 4, 2014 |
so far this is a great book starting off where the first book left off. the two main character are on there way to Vegas to meet with the patriot but they run into some trouble on the way.
  ChristianJordan | Sep 25, 2014 |
After reading a lot of dystopia and being disappointed in some of them, Legend was a breath of fresh air. It was action packed, had a great plot, and the romance between June and Day never took over the story. I really enjoyed it.

So much so that I went and picked up Prodigy. So was it as good as Legend. Short answer: No. Long answer: It wasn’t better than Legend, but it was still enjoyable. I think some of the things I overlooked in the first novel, really manifested itself here. It was still a fun read though, just not as good as Legend.

Prodigy picks up right where Legend ends. June has just betrayed the Republic and helped free Day. In order to move forward, they’ll need the help of the Patriots, a group of rebels who want to bring change in the Republic. After a trip to Vegas, June and Day meet up with the Patriots and agree to work with them. The mission is simple. June will go back to the Republic and lead the new Elector to a certain spot and Day, who will be with the Patriots, will kill him. This will spark a revolution and the people will finally be free from their oppressive state. Both June and Day have their own reasons to destroy the Republic, but are they willing to kill someone for this change and are they even sure that change will even happen?

Like before, the plot is great. If you’ve read enough of these kinds of novels, or watched these kinds of shows, you’ll pretty much get an idea of where the plot is heading. However, I did enjoy the path that Lu took and the little details sprinkled throughout. The politics and history of the world was great to see and I finally got a clear picture of how the world really is.

I also liked Anden, the new 20yr old Elector. He’s great, a little naïve, but great. Sadly, due to how awesome he was, I start to not like Day a whole lot. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want June and Anden to hook up and I do like her with Day. But while Day was immature and annoying in some scenes, Anden was just likeable. Usually, the characters I like tend to get the shaft, so I expect him to die in the next book. I was kind of hoping that in the end of Prodigy, Anden would reveal himself to behind the Patriots and that he orchestrated his own assassination, in order to get June and Day on his side. I mean, there's still so much we don't know about him and even though he loves June, I think he's smart enough to know how he can retain his power. Sadly, it didn't happen.

We also got to see the Colonies here, which I also enjoyed. It was nice and shiny, but also pretty insane. Their territories have mixed capitalism mixed with the movie Idiocracy (only no one is stupid here). Product placement is everywhere and companies sponsor everything from health care to orphanages. It was crazy, but fascinating too.

The contrast between the Colonies, a government which is in bed with corporations, and the Republic, a government that is struggling and in need of international aid, but won’t get it because they’re a rogue state. So who are the good guys and who are the bad? Perhaps the world is a lot more gray than black and white.

I still don’t know the extent of the inner workings of the Republic and the Colonies, but I do like the direction Lu is going. What I didn’t enjoy, was the angst between Day and June. Even though they were both separated for the majority of the novel, the angst was still there. Not so much with June, who thankfully still used her head in her scenes. But Day, he just brought up June all the time. I get that they like each other and I do feel like there is definitely a connection there, but to the extent that they love each other. No. No…. Then again, they’re both fifteen, so I guess their angsty nature is a given?

The two are tested further, because it turns out that Tess loves Day and Anden loves June. Thankfully, nothing comes to fruition from this, but I did feel like the square ruined Tess’ character. She’s no longer the strong-willed girl who thought things through and had a clear head. Now she’s overtaken by jealousy and spends most of her time arguing with Day about June. Her entire purpose was to provide more angst for Day. And it’s clear he likes June way more than she likes him.

I also didn’t like the reveal of Metias and Thomas. It felt thrown in and didn’t really make sense considering what we’ve seen in the last novel. It may have been a bit hard to do, since Metias died so early on, but maybe if there was something there this plot point would have seemed more authentic. Instead, it feels more tacked on. Plus, we don’t see Thomas again after the reveal, so yea…what was the point?

I still have some questions though. Like, if Day did score a perfect on his test, then why was he disposed of? How many kids scored perfect as well? We were told that the Trials are used to get rid of the weak, but if someone who scored perfect on their test was left for dead, then what is the true purpose of the Trials? Is everyone who is killed someone who scored perfect, but grew up in the slums? And if this the case, why did they allow June to live? Was it because of her family, or something else? And what about the population? Clearly, there has to be some serious consequences that arise from this test and the disappearance of a lot of kids.

So many things unanswered, but this is only the second book. I’m sure everything will be answered in Champion. Hopefully. And even though the ending was a bit melodramatic, it still has me interested in seeing more from this story and seeing where Lu takes us. I do like the world she created, I just hope that the angst gets toned down a bit. And by a bit, I mean a lot.

Review can also be found at BookingRehab ( )
  pdbkwm | Sep 8, 2014 |
Day jolts awake beside me.

June and Day make their way to Las Vegas where they join the rebel Patriot group and become involved in an assassination plot against the Elector in hopes of saving the Republic.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,306,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible