Drama by Raina Telgemeier

Info:GRAPHIX (2012), Hardcover, 240 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:graphic

Drama by Raina Telgemeier

Raina Telgemeier’s graphic novel, Drama, follows Callie, a theater fanatic, who enjoys the production work at the theater in her middle school and gets the to be the set designer in her middle school’s production of Moon Over Mississippi. On top of her school play, Callie finds herself in the middle of boy drama from her best friend’s brother to two twins who signed up for the play.

I find it difficult to review graphic novels because I feel the need to talk about the art, which isn’t something I have much of an opinion on other than, “oh, pretty!”. I did enjoy the panels in Drama, they were fun and did well in portraying the story.

The story itself was not what I expected from the blurb. There was definitely drama all around, but I thought it would be focused more on the production of the play than on the sexuality of the characters - which, though not the focus, took up a major part of the story. It makes me wonder if the stereotype of the men involved in acting was the cause for this depiction.

Drama is a great book if you want to start the conversation about sexuality with your kids, but probably not the best book to read if you are looking for something centered around a Drama Club. Either way, I found the story enjoyable and funny all around.
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
A nice cure quick read about the behind the stages going ons in a middle school drama production. I really enjoyed the book and thought it was dramatically better than her last graphic novel , Smile ( )
  Hassanchop | Jul 4, 2016 |
Callie is in middle school she is a part of Moon over Missipi play since she can't sing good. She is bhind the sences where everything starts having her own life in middle school. I will recomend this book to people who really like comics and who like drama!
  AnikaU13 | Feb 24, 2016 |
Drama is an excellent read-alone book for middle schoolers, as they will be able to connect to and understand the characters in the story. Drama is all about finding out who you are, deciding what after-school activities you are interested in, crushes, awkwardness, and making new friends. Drama could also be used in lessons on social skills and how to treat others, as it deals with themes that can be hard to discuss in the classroom sometimes such as bullying, popularity, and sexuality. ( )
  AmandaJH | Feb 9, 2016 |
I really am a sucker for books about people participating in productions of the arts. I just enjoy the stories and the memories of my own experience. I liked these characters a lot—even if they were all a little too well-behaved for real teenagers—as well as the handling of awkward teen issues. I'd definitely read more about the same group.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |

Callie aime le théâtre. Elle n'hésitera pas à auditionner pour un role dans la comédie musicale La lune sur le Mississippi que présentera la troupe de son école ... si seulement elle savait chanter ! Des drames se préparent et pas seulement sur scène ! L'arrivée dans le décor de deux jumeaux n'arrangera sûrement pas les choses !

Raina Telgemeier, the NEW YORK TIMES bestselling author of the Eisner Award winner, SMILE, brings us her next full-color graphic novel . . . DRAMA!

Callie loves theater. And while she would totally try out for her middle school's production of Moon Over Mississippi, she's a terrible singer. Instead she's the set designer for the stage crew, and this year she's determined to create a set worthy of Broadway on a middle-school budget. But how can she, when she doesn't know much about carpentry, ticket sales are down, and the crew members are having trouble working together? Not to mention the onstage AND offstage drama that occurs once the actors are chosen, and when two cute brothers enter the picture, things get even crazier! Following the success of SMILE, Raina Telgemeier brings us another graphic novel featuring a diverse set of characters that humorously explores friendship, crushes, and all-around drama!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:21 -0400)

Callie rides an emotional roller coaster while serving on the stage crew for a middle school production of Moon over Mississippi as various relationships start and end, and others never quite get going.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,834,534 books! | Top bar: Always visible