Drama by Raina Telgemeier

Info:GRAPHIX (2012), Hardcover, 240 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:graphic

Drama by Raina Telgemeier

I started this book expecting to hate it. The panes in graphic novels are distracting to me, but I chose it in order to leap out of my comfort zone and try a genre I know my students enjoy.

I liked it! The main character was quirky and real. There were a couple of 2-dimensional characters, namely a stuck-up "villain" and a "jock", but they gave Callie, our protagonist, some more "Drama" to struggle with.

The story was filled with real teen issues like gender roles, sexuality, school anxiety and intrapersonal relationships. One character, Justin, has to deal with being a closeted gay to his parents while trying to live out at school. His frustration is evident when he says, "Well, my dad would probably flip out and i'm not sure if he's ready for that...I'm not sure if I'm ready...I'm sure he suspects but we don't discuss it." (Telgemeier 2012)

The colors in the panes are vibrant and the drawings are simple but evocative. The expressions on the characters' faces really conveyed their feelings.

If you check this book out to children under the age of about 13, you may get some phone calls. It looks like something Dork Diaries or Diary of a Wimpy Kid readers might love, but it deals with sexual preference in a very straightforward way. While I like the no-holds barred way it brings up sexuality, I would probably not keep this book in my elementary library. I'm really not sure if that's wrong or not. We do have Telgemeier's other book, Smile, on the shelves and no one has mentioned anything controversial about it so far.

However, sexuality discussions aside, it does deal with middle school themes and maybe it should be left for middle school libraries.
  kristennicoson | Nov 19, 2014 |
In this graphic novel, 7th grader Callie tells of her love for theater and set design. When her middle school prepares to put on a production of “Moon over Mississippi” she is thrilled at the chance to design the set.

Read the rest of my review at: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2012/08/19/drama-raina-telgemeier/ ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
This book is great! this girl has grat ideas of how to make a set for a play. she has boy trubbles and somtimes frend troubles.
  JSIS-Reviews | Jun 5, 2014 |
he-larious! Now I am all geared up to read her third book Smile, due out in August. ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 11, 2014 |
I really liked this one. Callie was fun, and I loved all the drama both on and off the stage. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Feb 13, 2014 |

Callie aime le théâtre. Elle n'hésitera pas à auditionner pour un role dans la comédie musicale La lune sur le Mississippi que présentera la troupe de son école ... si seulement elle savait chanter ! Des drames se préparent et pas seulement sur scène ! L'arrivée dans le décor de deux jumeaux n'arrangera sûrement pas les choses !

Raina Telgemeier, the NEW YORK TIMES bestselling author of the Eisner Award winner, SMILE, brings us her next full-color graphic novel . . . DRAMA!

Callie loves theater. And while she would totally try out for her middle school's production of Moon Over Mississippi, she's a terrible singer. Instead she's the set designer for the stage crew, and this year she's determined to create a set worthy of Broadway on a middle-school budget. But how can she, when she doesn't know much about carpentry, ticket sales are down, and the crew members are having trouble working together? Not to mention the onstage AND offstage drama that occurs once the actors are chosen, and when two cute brothers enter the picture, things get even crazier! Following the success of SMILE, Raina Telgemeier brings us another graphic novel featuring a diverse set of characters that humorously explores friendship, crushes, and all-around drama!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:19 -0400)

Callie rides an emotional roller coaster while serving on the stage crew for a middle school production of Moon over Mississippi as various relationships start and end, and others never quite get going.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,365,904 books! | Top bar: Always visible