The 9th Girl by Tami Hoag

The 9th Girl (2013)

by Tami Hoag

Series: Kovac & Liska (4)

Recently added bysmbseb01, private library, Monica91280, arena55, chellebuck79, Maydacat

Read from October 16 to 19, 2014

Suspense is the name of the game in this novel. What issues interest you? Bullying in schools? Second marriages? Divorce? Serial killers? Other kinds of murder? Abductions and torture? Homosexuality? Lying? Family relationships? Poetry? Zombies? Yes, and these things and more await you in the pages of this book. And somehow the author ties them together and brings the reader to a satisfying conclusion. Graphic in places (I could have done with less description from the autopsy), and tragically sad in others, it is nevertheless fascinating, seeing how the police reconstruct crime scenes to understand the mind of the killer. Or killers. This book will keep you turning pages. And looking over your shoulder at the shadows. ( )
  Maydacat | Nov 1, 2014 |
The 9th Girl. Tami Hoag. 2013. This is the second novel I have read by this popular author. It doesn’t take but a day or two to read these suspense novels. On a freezing New Year’s Eve night Detectives Kovac and Liska are called to investigate the homicide of a young woman that appears to be the work of a serial killer, Doc Holiday. As they become more involved in identifying the victim they realize she may be Penelope Gray a student at the same high school Liska’s son attends. The question becomes is she really a victim of the serial killer or was she brutalized by someone she knew and trusted. ( )
  judithrs | Jun 19, 2014 |
Kept me on the edge of my seat. Gerald Fitzpatrick is the serial killer who is working on his 9th kill. Unfortunately, a mentally disturbed mother takes away his press when she kills her daughter using the same MO. The serial killer then finds himself another victim who in turn kills him. Complex, the best Tami Hoag in a while. ( )
  MarkMeg | Mar 9, 2014 |
An all-around outstanding suspense/mystery story. Interesting throughout.
Mr. Colacci does a good job with his narration. ( )
  Conkie | Nov 4, 2013 |
full review from my blog:

The 9th Girl is a rollercoaster ride of emotions and easily one of the best books I will be lucky enough to read this year! We follow the detective team of Kovac and Liska, first brought to us in Ashes to Ashes in 1996, then again in Dust to Dust and Prior Bad Acts. It's been over ten years since Tami Hoag has written a book in this series, but this exciting story was well worth the wait. After the rather average Oak Knoll series from Ms. Hoag, I am so happy to see her back in her groove with this title! If you are a lover of suspenseful detective series, intense plots, carefully planted red herrings, and non-stop action in the last quarter, you are in for a big treat.

It's below freezing on New Year's Eve in Minnesota, and Nikki Liska and her mentor/ partner Sam Kovac have been called to a multiple car accident involving a stretch limo. As homicide detectives they are curious at to why they are requested, until they hear the limo driver's story and see the deceased for themselves. A young unidentified girl, with half her head shaved and most of her face melted away, was still alive when she fell from the trunk of the car in front of the limo and he accidentally hit and killed her. The teen-aged Jane Doe body was described by him as a zombie and thus the news picked up on the sensationalist nickname Zombie Doe and ran with it.

In actuality, she is an unclaimed victim of a heinous crime, and appears to be the work of the serial killer, Doc Holiday, who leaves dead girls like trash on the roadside, coinciding with different holidays. The murderer is always one step ahead of capture because he finds and leaves his victims along highways covering several states. Things would be bad enough for the overworked, stressed-out cops if they had another Doc Holiday visit in their jurisdiction, along with their other cases. But as they dig into the limited evidence, Liska is shocked to find out that there may be a connection between her son, his school, and the murder victim, and perhaps townspeople are not sharing everything they knew about the 9th girl killed by the infamous serial killer.

I truly enjoyed the heck out of this newest Tami Hoag book! While I was waiting for it to release I went back and reread Prior Bad Acts, the preceding story featuring the duo of Kovac and Liska. It has been a long time between books in this series while Ms. Hoag wrote other things, including the Oak Knoll series, which I read but didn't enjoy as much as this series and the Deer Lake one from about 15 years ago (the Night Sins series, which was made into a tv movie featuring Valerie Bertinelli-- a poor choice for that role, in my opinion). I have read all of Tami Hoag's suspense books, and a few of her earlier romance stories set in New Orleans, so I am familiar with her writing style, and she is in top form with this one. It was a bit confusing in the first few chapters concerning why she was sharing more than usual of Nikki Liska's home life with us. But shortly afterwards, it made perfect sense because they believed that the victim attended her son's school and that he knew her. While the story follows a gruesome serial killer, most of the violence is off-scene, so the squeamish need not worry.

I thought I had the ending figured out by the middle of the story, and was happy to find out I was wrong. The loose ends were tied up, but not the way I anticipated, which is always gratifying in a mystery novel. The story ended with a cliffhanger involving Kovac and Liska, but the murder storyline finished satisfactorily. Anyone who has ever read Tami Hoag before, or even Tess Gerritsen, Karin Slaughter, or Harlan Coben, should appreciate this book and put it on their TBR list right away. ( )
  Rita_h | Sep 27, 2013 |

Tami Hoagprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Colacci, DavidReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed

#1 New York Times bestselling author Tami Hoag brings back her fan-favorite Minneapolis investigators Sam Kovac and Nikki Liska in the haunting new thriller The 9th Girl.

The ninth unidentified body to turn up in Minneapolis in 2012 is nicknamed Jane Doe 9. Sam Kovac and Nikki Liska take on the case and discover a shocking fact: This victim has been found without any identifiable characteristics, except for those that peg her as an adolescent girl. Before the investigation is through, the case will take the two detectives deep into the life and death of a teenage girl who wanted nothing more than to be “normal.” They will come perilously close to the bullies who tormented her, the twisted family dynamics that may have contributed to her death, and ultimately to the haunting details of a young love that just may hide the secret of Jane Doe 9’s terrible fate.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:12 -0400)

Minneapolis investigators Sam Kovac and Nikki Liska find themselves in pursuit of a serial killer whose latest victim is a bullied adolescent who desperately sought a normal life.

139 wanted3 pay10 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,039,057 books! | Top bar: Always visible