Sailor Twain: Or: The Mermaid in the Hudson…

Sailor Twain: Or: The Mermaid in the Hudson (edition 2012)

by Mark Siegel

Title:Sailor Twain: Or: The Mermaid in the Hudson
Authors:Mark Siegel
Info:First Second (2012), Hardcover, 400 pages
Tags:Graphic novel/memoir and cartoons

Sailor Twain: Or: The Mermaid in the Hudson by Mark Siegel

Habibi by Craig Thompson (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: Similar artwork and storytelling
    Blankets by Craig Thompson (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: Similar storytelling and artwork

English (41)  French (1)  All languages (42)
I'm in love with the artwork in this book, a combination of realism and caricatures done in charcoal. The story is great too. A riverboat captain rescues an injured mermaid from the Hudson and falls in love. The ship's owner, taking over for his missing brother, is acting more and more strange. A notoriously reclusive but wildly popular writer agrees to announce his next book on a river cruise.
I'm reading slowly because I don't want it to end. ( )
  piemouth | Oct 26, 2015 |
Cool idea. Horrible ending. ( )
  yeremenko | Oct 3, 2015 |
Not entirely sure I understood the story, but the artwork was nice. ( )
  miyurose | Sep 3, 2015 |
I feel like I should have enjoyed this way more than I did. Part mystery, part fantasy, part myth, part horror, part love story, Sailor Twain is the tale of a riverboat captain, a reclusive author, and a nobleman, all whose paths eventually cross due to the discovery of a mermaid in the Hudson River. I'd like to say that I took something more away from the book, but really, that was it. The story didn't hold my attention like it should, and while the charcoal illustrations fit the mood of the setting well, I had a hard time with the fact that so many characters looked so stylistically different. Perhaps that was the whole point, but I didn't catch any meaning to it, other than to really make sure that each of the characters were distinguishable.

There were some shining moments in the book, however: the way the captain's quarters transformed from the influence of the mermaid, for example, or the mermaid's realm. Thinking back on it, the only times I was ever really impressed with the book was with the visuals that dealt with the mermaid.

While I'm a little ambivalent about this particular volume, I think I would pick up something by Mark Siegel again. Like I said, I feel that I should have enjoyed this way more than I did, so maybe it simply wasn't the right time for me to read this. ( )
  tapestry100 | Jul 30, 2015 |
Somehow I tripped along since I first put this on my wishlist thinking this graphic novel was about Mark Twain. Negative, Batman. A 19th century riverboat captain (you see?) rescues a wounded mermaid and becomes infatuated with her while keeping her a secret from everyone else on board. Meanwhile, the French owner of the riverboat (who lives on board) is acting mighty strangely. The artwork here is at turns stunning and comical (landscapes and cityscapes are done in a realistic style; people slightly more cartoonily--all in gorgeous charcoal), and I enjoyed the story, though it does lose a little coherency in the last section. Recommended for the artwork (I may, in fact, have to scare up a copy for myself for keepsies, as this one came from the library). ( )
  lycomayflower | Jul 25, 2015 |
Mon front est rouge encor du baiser de la Reine;

J'ai reve dans la grotte ou nage la sirene ...

Gerard de Nerval, El Desdichado
For Edward and Marie-Claire Siegel

"One hundred years ago. On the foggy Hudson River, a riverboat captain rescues an injured mermaid from the waters of the busiest port in the United States. A wildly popular--and notoriously reclusive--author makes a public debut. A French nobleman seeks a remedy for a curse. As three lives twine together and race to an unexpected collision, the mystery of the Mermaid of the Hudson deepens" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Sailor Twain by Mark Siegel was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,855,719 books! | Top bar: Always visible