Sailor Twain: Or: The Mermaid in the Hudson…

Sailor Twain: Or: The Mermaid in the Hudson (edition 2012)

by Mark Siegel

Member:msf59
Title:Sailor Twain: Or: The Mermaid in the Hudson
Authors:Mark Siegel
Info:First Second (2012), Hardcover, 400 pages
Tags:graphic

Sailor Twain: Or: The Mermaid in the Hudson by Mark Siegel

Habibi by Craig Thompson (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: Similar artwork and storytelling
    Blankets by Craig Thompson (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: Similar storytelling and artwork

English (38)  French (1)  All languages (39)
I feel like I should have enjoyed this way more than I did. Part mystery, part fantasy, part myth, part horror, part love story, Sailor Twain is the tale of a riverboat captain, a reclusive author, and a nobleman, all whose paths eventually cross due to the discovery of a mermaid in the Hudson River. I'd like to say that I took something more away from the book, but really, that was it. The story didn't hold my attention like it should, and while the charcoal illustrations fit the mood of the setting well, I had a hard time with the fact that so many characters looked so stylistically different. Perhaps that was the whole point, but I didn't catch any meaning to it, other than to really make sure that each of the characters were distinguishable.

There were some shining moments in the book, however: the way the captain's quarters transformed from the influence of the mermaid, for example, or the mermaid's realm. Thinking back on it, the only times I was ever really impressed with the book was with the visuals that dealt with the mermaid.

While I'm a little ambivalent about this particular volume, I think I would pick up something by Mark Siegel again. Like I said, I feel that I should have enjoyed this way more than I did, so maybe it simply wasn't the right time for me to read this. ( )
  tapestry100 | Jul 30, 2015 |
Somehow I tripped along since I first put this on my wishlist thinking this graphic novel was about Mark Twain. Negative, Batman. A 19th century riverboat captain (you see?) rescues a wounded mermaid and becomes infatuated with her while keeping her a secret from everyone else on board. Meanwhile, the French owner of the riverboat (who lives on board) is acting mighty strangely. The artwork here is at turns stunning and comical (landscapes and cityscapes are done in a realistic style; people slightly more cartoonily--all in gorgeous charcoal), and I enjoyed the story, though it does lose a little coherency in the last section. Recommended for the artwork (I may, in fact, have to scare up a copy for myself for keepsies, as this one came from the library). ( )
  lycomayflower | Jul 25, 2015 |
A really brilliant graphic novel, Sailor, Twain is set on a steamboat in the Hudson River in the late 1800s. It plays off the mythology of the Hudson River valley from Washington Irving, steamboat/river tales from Mark Twain, and a little Moby Dick, all fused together into a dark tale that centers around the captain of the steamboat and a mermaid trapped in the Hudson River. The black-and-white drawings are brilliant, the plot is interesting and moves along at a good pace, and the overall impression is powerful. ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy.
allthingsuf.com

SAILOR TWAIN is a sensuous experience, from the rough paper petting the finger tips to the soft, blurred images seducing the reader into it’s world. After the first, mysterious chapter, it was Captain Twain himself that was my anchor. Solid, loyal, hardworking… and so obviously drifting closer and closer to a maelstrom of seduction and magic.

It was just that haunting mix of romance and mythology that made SAILOR TWAIN impossible to put down. The every day disappointments and losses of life were all the more piercing in their grief against a backdrop of supernatural dangers and creatures. Despite the simplicity of the illustrations, I felt entirely immersed in Captain Twain’s world; I felt his dedication and lost dreams, his fascination and creative fire. Siegel spins a seductive tale that had me second guessing what a happy ending could even look like, amidst the trade offs and complex longings of these characters.

Despite imagining so many possible endings, I was still taken by surprise. I read the last chapter twice, then found myself back at the beginning, studying the opening with fresh eyes. A thought provoking, romantic tale, SAILOR TWAIN is a myth for our modern age.

Sexual Content: Sex scenes. ( )
  Capnrandm | May 9, 2014 |
Mon front est rouge encor du baiser de la Reine;

J'ai reve dans la grotte ou nage la sirene ...

Gerard de Nerval, El Desdichado
For Edward and Marie-Claire Siegel

"One hundred years ago. On the foggy Hudson River, a riverboat captain rescues an injured mermaid from the waters of the busiest port in the United States. A wildly popular--and notoriously reclusive--author makes a public debut. A French nobleman seeks a remedy for a curse. As three lives twine together and race to an unexpected collision, the mystery of the Mermaid of the Hudson deepens" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Sailor Twain by Mark Siegel was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,137,385 books! | Top bar: Always visible