Leadership and Self Deception: Getting Out…

Leadership and Self Deception: Getting Out of the Box

by The Arbinger Institute

Recently added byMarkCarlson, r4hulk, DeniseSelleck, private library, AndeeDeVore, Haik, didierelzinga, stezueger

amazing book that helps you take a critical look at your own attitudes ( )
  DelightedLibrarian | Jan 2, 2018 |
Some books do not seem overly compelling while you are reading them but then you find they resonate long after you've finished them. This is such a book. It's an easy read that at times feels a little to pat. However I continually find my self thinking about the concepts. The basic concept being to think of others as people and just vehicles to fill your needs. I strongly recommend taking a little time to read. ( )
  norinrad10 | Jun 26, 2016 |
I read this book for book club. It was a quick and thought provoking read. ( )
  lacey.tucker | Mar 10, 2016 |

This is the kind of book that has the potential to save relationships, teams and resolve conflicts if taken to heart, but I suspect most who read it feel a brief surge of inspiration (the same you feel after a one day leadership course of some description).

I see several ways this book can impact my relationship with my colleagues at work and even my personal relationships if I take the ideas to heart.

The book is told almost like a fable and would have been a better book with more examples from the main character actually testing out his new knowledge in the workplace.

Readers who are accustomed to reading philosophy or other complex non-fiction books might find the didactic tone in the book troublesome. ( )
  StigE | Sep 15, 2015 |
It is in the darkness of their eyes that men get lost. --Black Elk
It was two months ago to the day that I first entered the secluded campus-style headquarters of Zagrum Company to interview for a senior management position.

Leadership and Self-Deception has become an international word-of-mouth phenomenon. Rather than tapering off, it has sold more copies each year since 2004 than it did in any of the first four years after publication. The book’s central insight—that the key to leadership lays not in what we do, but in who we are—has proved to have powerful resonances not only for organizational leadership, but in readers’ personal lives as well.

Leadership and Self-Deception uses an entertaining story about an executive facing challenges at work and at home to expose the subtle psychological processes that conceal our true motivations and intentions from us and trap us in a “box” of endless self-justification—even when we’re convinced we’re doing the right thing. Most importantly, the book shows us the way out. Readers will discover what millions already have—how to consistently tap into and act on their innate sense of what’s right, dramatically improving all of their relationships.

This book uses an entertaining story to identify self-deception as the underlying cause of leadership failure, and show how any leader can overcome self-deception to become a consistent catalyst of success. The authors show that the key to successful leadership lies deeper than a particular technique, behavior or skill, and that most people problems in organizations are the result of self-deception--a problem that can be identified, isolated, and treated in a disciplined, results-oriented way. The book demonstrates how people can stop undermining themselves and what happens when they do--freely and fully putting to work all the behavioral skills, systems, and techniques that will bring success to them and their organizations.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,960,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible