Leadership and Self Deception: Getting Out…

Leadership and Self Deception: Getting Out of the Box (2006)

by The Arbinger Institute

1,0812011,326 (4.03)6

This book proposes to improve work, personal, and family relationships by treating others as people as opposed to objects and to examine self responsibility for conflict and problems. It is proposed that this change in mindset can improve productivity. I believe that the premise is correct while the concept is simplistic. I strongly recommend the book for management. ( )
  GlennBell | May 13, 2018 |
An engaging presentation in narrative format regarding the difficulties which stem from self-deception and the need for personal justification, blame of others, and the problems these cause. An appeal to find the humanity in others and treat others accordingly.

I will not try to unpack the entire presentation of the book because the reader will have a lot of reasons to want to try to avoid the material. It's not the most comfortable process to explore, but very beneficial to do so.

The book is presented as a narrative involving a few characters and a corporation, and the reader is invited to go with "Tom" on his journey, and, ideally, engaging in the same kind of self-reflection as "Tom" does.

The narrative gets campy at times; the self-aggrandization of the book is a bit much; the lack of personality behind the authorship seems at odds with the core message. Nevertheless, a very necessary even if uncomfortable exploration of the self so that one might live more profitably for him or herself and interact better with others. ( )
  deusvitae | Mar 28, 2018 |
amazing book that helps you take a critical look at your own attitudes ( )
  DelightedLibrarian | Jan 2, 2018 |
Some books do not seem overly compelling while you are reading them but then you find they resonate long after you've finished them. This is such a book. It's an easy read that at times feels a little to pat. However I continually find my self thinking about the concepts. The basic concept being to think of others as people and just vehicles to fill your needs. I strongly recommend taking a little time to read. ( )
  norinrad10 | Jun 26, 2016 |
I read this book for book club. It was a quick and thought provoking read. ( )
  lacey.tucker | Mar 10, 2016 |
It is in the darkness of their eyes that men get lost. --Black Elk
It was two months ago to the day that I first entered the secluded campus-style headquarters of Zagrum Company to interview for a senior management position.

Leadership and Self-Deception has become an international word-of-mouth phenomenon. Rather than tapering off, it has sold more copies each year since 2004 than it did in any of the first four years after publication. The book’s central insight—that the key to leadership lays not in what we do, but in who we are—has proved to have powerful resonances not only for organizational leadership, but in readers’ personal lives as well.

Leadership and Self-Deception uses an entertaining story about an executive facing challenges at work and at home to expose the subtle psychological processes that conceal our true motivations and intentions from us and trap us in a “box” of endless self-justification—even when we’re convinced we’re doing the right thing. Most importantly, the book shows us the way out. Readers will discover what millions already have—how to consistently tap into and act on their innate sense of what’s right, dramatically improving all of their relationships.

This book uses an entertaining story to identify self-deception as the underlying cause of leadership failure, and show how any leader can overcome self-deception to become a consistent catalyst of success. The authors show that the key to successful leadership lies deeper than a particular technique, behavior or skill, and that most people problems in organizations are the result of self-deception--a problem that can be identified, isolated, and treated in a disciplined, results-oriented way. The book demonstrates how people can stop undermining themselves and what happens when they do--freely and fully putting to work all the behavioral skills, systems, and techniques that will bring success to them and their organizations.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,726,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible