dismiss

Leadership and Self Deception: Getting Out…

Leadership and Self Deception: Getting Out of the Box (original 2006; edition 2002)

by The Arbinger Institute

Since its original publication in 2000, Leadership and Self-Deception has become a word-of-mouth phenomenon. Its sales continue to increase year after year, and the book's popularity has gone global, with editions now available in over twenty languages. Through a story everyone can relate to about a man facing challenges on the job and in his family, the authors expose the fascinating ways that we can blind ourselves to our true motivations and unwittingly sabotage the effectiveness of our own efforts to achieve success and increase happiness. This new edition has been revised throughout to make the story even more compelling. And drawing on the extensive correspondence the authors have received over the years, they have added a section that outlines the many ways that readers have been using Leadership and Self-Deception to improve their lives and workplaces--areas such as team building, conflict resolution, and personal growth and development, to name a few. Read this extraordinary book and discover what millions already have learned--how to consistently tap into an innate ability that dramatically improves both your results and your relationships.… (more)
Member:bren
Title:Leadership and Self Deception: Getting Out of the Box
Authors:The Arbinger Institute
Info:Berrett-Koehler Publishers (2002), Edition: 1st, Paperback
Tags:mastery, business, effectiveness

Leadership and Self Deception: Getting Out of the Box by The Arbinger Institute (2006)

An excellent book for business and outside of work as well. It has become popular to write some business books in a narrative style. Many times this feels artificial but this book makes it work. The questions that the protagonist asks are the same as I would be asking in that situation.

All that is well and good, but the information provided is really wonderful. Coming up with various strategies for both recognizing that change in needed and strategies for making those changes are provided.

So good that I bought the book. Well worth the read. ( )
  Skybalon | Mar 19, 2020 |
This book proposes to improve work, personal, and family relationships by treating others as people as opposed to objects and to examine self responsibility for conflict and problems. It is proposed that this change in mindset can improve productivity. I believe that the premise is correct while the concept is simplistic. I strongly recommend the book for management. ( )
  GlennBell | May 13, 2018 |
An engaging presentation in narrative format regarding the difficulties which stem from self-deception and the need for personal justification, blame of others, and the problems these cause. An appeal to find the humanity in others and treat others accordingly.

I will not try to unpack the entire presentation of the book because the reader will have a lot of reasons to want to try to avoid the material. It's not the most comfortable process to explore, but very beneficial to do so.

The book is presented as a narrative involving a few characters and a corporation, and the reader is invited to go with "Tom" on his journey, and, ideally, engaging in the same kind of self-reflection as "Tom" does.

The narrative gets campy at times; the self-aggrandization of the book is a bit much; the lack of personality behind the authorship seems at odds with the core message. Nevertheless, a very necessary even if uncomfortable exploration of the self so that one might live more profitably for him or herself and interact better with others. ( )
  deusvitae | Mar 28, 2018 |
amazing book that helps you take a critical look at your own attitudes ( )
  DelightedLibrarian | Jan 2, 2018 |
Some books do not seem overly compelling while you are reading them but then you find they resonate long after you've finished them. This is such a book. It's an easy read that at times feels a little to pat. However I continually find my self thinking about the concepts. The basic concept being to think of others as people and just vehicles to fill your needs. I strongly recommend taking a little time to read. ( )
  norinrad10 | Jun 26, 2016 |
It is in the darkness of their eyes that men get lost. --Black Elk
It was two months ago to the day that I first entered the secluded campus-style headquarters of Zagrum Company to interview for a senior management position.

Leadership and Self-Deception has become an international word-of-mouth phenomenon. Rather than tapering off, it has sold more copies each year since 2004 than it did in any of the first four years after publication. The book’s central insight—that the key to leadership lays not in what we do, but in who we are—has proved to have powerful resonances not only for organizational leadership, but in readers’ personal lives as well.

Leadership and Self-Deception uses an entertaining story about an executive facing challenges at work and at home to expose the subtle psychological processes that conceal our true motivations and intentions from us and trap us in a “box” of endless self-justification—even when we’re convinced we’re doing the right thing. Most importantly, the book shows us the way out. Readers will discover what millions already have—how to consistently tap into and act on their innate sense of what’s right, dramatically improving all of their relationships.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,652,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible