The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving by…

The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving

by Jonathan Evison

The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce (ReluctantTechie)
    ReluctantTechie: Both books deal with long-term issues of grief and the protagonists both come to closure following a journey. The situations presented are unusual but the human emotions ring true.
    This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Both feature main characters that don't have a lot left to lose.

There were parts of this book that were so difficult that I had to put it down and walk away. It was gut wrenching and funny and unforgettable. ( )
  NicoleTavitian | May 30, 2018 |
Listened to this while I painted my house. A nice story about a guy trying to get over a personal tragedy and the unravelling of his life by throwing himself into the care-giver role of a teen who is trapped inside his own failing body. They go on a road trip and encounter some interesting characters. Generally the book unfolds more or less as expected, but it's a nice story. The revelation of the backstory/tragedy is well done, giving out enough details each flashback to explain a bit and make the reader wonder what actually happened. I hear this was made into a movie, and I can understand why (it fits the criteria -- limited number of characters, heartbreak, drama, humour, limited but varied scenes). ( )
  LDVoorberg | Dec 3, 2017 |
Loved this book! Quirky but interesting characters make it a fun read but the book is not all sunshine and sparkles. Benjamin Benjamin was a stay at home dad until a tragic accident took away his family. He was basically living off his credit cards which were almost maxed out. He needs a job and takes a caregiver's class which leads to him taking care of a young adult male who has MD. The young man lives with his mom and is a bit of a homebody. Ben and Trev spark up a friendship and take on a road trip to visit Trev's dad who had an accident. The road trip is challenging but filled with offbeat humor as Ben and Trev have a knack for rescuing stranded travelers. Among the humor the reader gets the sense of some healing going on for both Ben and Trev.
The chapters of this book are fairly short which makes it a perfect read for busy people or beach days. ( )
  bostonterrio | Nov 21, 2017 |
Quirky & tender. Packed with vivid characters. Good pace. ( )
  dcmr | Jul 4, 2017 |
I just think I fell asleep reading this. I am not sure why this book failed to interest me - the characters just seemed rather 'weird' and I couldn't feel for them. ( )
  Soulmuser | May 30, 2017 |
For Case, a genius and an inspiration...
I was broke when duty called me to minister to those less fortunate than myself, so maybe I'm no Florence Nightingale.

After losing virtually everything meaningful in his life, Benjamin trains to be a caregiver, but his first client, a fiercely independent teen with muscular dystrophy, gives him more than he bargained for and soon the two embark on a road trip to visit the boy's ailing father.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jonathan Evison's book The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,222,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible