Pulse by John Lutz

Pulse

by John Lutz

This book had everything needed to make it a "can't put down " book. A serial killer was believed to be dead but Quinn and Pearl, former cops now private investigators, recognize the pattern of the new murders in New York City. To make matters worse Daniel/Danielle changes personas like a snake changes skins. Are they searching for a dead killer? ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Another good read - I love the Frank Quinn and Pearl association. However, one thing bothered me - did teenagers in the 80s send emails - indeed, did emails even exist back then? If not, then this is a big oversight on the part of the author and screws up the information gleaned by the computer "expert" who discovered this. ( )
  Persislee | Feb 15, 2016 |
This is the first novel that I’ve read by John Lutz but it definitely won’t be the last! It’s a psychological thriller that I could only compare to authors such as Gillian Flynn (“Dark Places”), Thomas Harris (“The Silence of the Lambs”), Lisa Gardner (“Touch & Go”). Retired police captain and ex-homicide cop Frank Quinn and his PI team are special consultants to the NYPD hunting serial killers. The serial killer to catch is Daniel Danielle and the descriptions of his victims seem to become tougher to read as the victim count continues to mount.

The novel is definitely not for the faint of heart or to quote Harlan Cohen, “John Lutz knows how to make you shiver.” It’s edge-of-your-seat suspenseful reading and in turning the pages you might begin to hear every inaudible tone and noise in the house as nerve-endings are alert and adrenaline is pumping on all cylinders.

I’ll definitely catch up with Frank Quinn and his team again but it will be a while as it’s definitely haunting reading about the ‘darker side’ of life. ( )
  Corduroy7 | Jun 13, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was the first novel that I have read by Lutz and I really enjoyed it until close to the end. The novel was quite long (almost 500 pages) and everything ties together in the last 30 pages. Unfortunately the author seems to have made a few historical errors as the book refers to an encrypted email that was sent by a 14 year old boy in 1986 and I found that incredibly hard to believe and it was hard to decipher how that information even came to light. There were a few parts in the book where the wrong word was used to describe something and that should have been caught by an editor.

All in all it was an entertaining read and I would give Lutz another shot. I would have given the novel a higher star rating if it hadn't of had errors in it. ( )
  ChelleBearss | Sep 29, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was the first book that I have read from John Lutz and was able to pick up on the characters quite easily being this was part of a series. Good story and good characters especially the killer (or killers). But for me it was a bit long and I lost interest in some of the characters. What I did find funny was that one of the characters was a Book Editor and talked about getting facts and language correct while in this book it includes a look back of a pair of teenagers in the mid 80's that talked about emailing and texting. Two things that didn't even exist at that point. ( )
  groundedforlife | Oct 30, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0786020288, Paperback)

The killer's depravity is insatiable. What he does to his victims is unthinkable. Homicide detective turned P.I. Frank Quinn has seen this M.O. before. A demented ritual, it's the work of Daniel Danielle - a notorious serial killer who blurs the line between male and female, human and monster. Danielle disappeared ten years ago. Is a copy cat repeating the crimes? Or has Danielle made a deadly return? Either way, this time the killing won't stop.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:10 -0400)

When a killer who blurs the line between male and female, human and monster returns with a vengeance after a 10-year hiatus, homicide detective turned P.I. Frank Morgan must stop the killing once and for all.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

John Lutz's book Pulse was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,757,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible