12.21 by Dustin Thomason

English (54)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (55)
I liked the connection made between medical (hard science research) and linguistic/anthropological (soft or human sciences research) ways of thinking. I also found the idea of each person getting an animal totel with which he/she completely identified at birth, an interesting one. It's like having your own personal role model from the day you are born. If it is the right one for you, and does not limit you, then it can be a good anti-dote to the conformism of modern society. Maybe.

Peace, ShiraDestinie
Universal Date: Tuesday, 7 November 12014 H.E. (Human/Holocene Era) ( )
  ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
Shortly before December 21, 2012, a CDC expert encounters a confounding medical mystery, and a talented Mayan scholar comes into possession of a priceless codex with terrifying implications for modern civilization. HARD
  JRCornell | Jan 29, 2019 |
This was a little different from what I usually go after. It is the story of the Mayan Calendar prediction of the end of times on 12.21.2012. The story begins around the 11th of December, 2012 in Los Angeles, California and we end up in the jungles of Guatamala. I found myself while reading this story asking "Could this really happen?" "Does that REALLY make sense?" etc...

The book seemed to have been researched well, although, since I know absolutely nothing about the Mayan culture or their calendar, I have no idea. There is also a lot of medical stuff that seems to be accurate, but again, I did not go to medical school, so I'm not sure. It read well.

If you have any interest in or thought that the world could come to an end this year than you may want to read this book. This book did make me think about 12-21-2012 in a different way and the possibility...

Thanks to Net Galley and Random House, Inc for this advanced readers copy. ( )
  PamV | Mar 27, 2018 |
While this was a quick read I found the ending unbelievable and disappointing. I had difficulty with some of the grammar and sentence structure. ( )
  kimkimkim | Aug 21, 2017 |
It isn't surprising that a doom and gloom novel is coming out this year, but what did surprise me was the imagination put into the cause of the demise of earth's inhabitants. The illness brought to LA by patient zero, has confounding symptoms that have doctors' at the hospital perplexed. They call in Dr Gabriel Stanton, an expert in rare diseases, to come take a look and try to diagnose the patient's illness and it's cause. In the meantime an expert in Mayan studies, Chel Manu, is given a rare antiquity, by a black market trader, and asked to keep it safe for him. She is flabbergasted at the priceless item she is given. When she joins forces with Stanton their combined fields of expertise, along with this rare antiquity, are needed to save the world.

This book was lacking the tension to make it a true page turner and it honestly became somewhat boring at times. So much so that I had to force myself to finish it. I never felt that the characters were fleshed out enough and seemed somewhat one dimensional. It was really hard to root for any of them. ( )
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |
To my sister, Heather, who helps me understand that blood really is thicker, and to Janet, the best mother in the world, our very own giving tree.
He stands quietly in the moonlight against the wall of the temple, the small bundle held tightly under his arm.

From the co-author of the two-million copy mega-bestseller The Rule of Four comes a riveting thriller with a brilliant premise based on the 2012 apocalypse phenomenon—perfect for readers of Steve Berry, Preston and Child, and Dan Brown.

For decades, December 21, 2012, has been a touchstone for doomsayers worldwide. It is the date, they claim, when the ancient Maya calendar predicts the world will end.

In Los Angeles, two weeks before, all is calm. Dr. Gabriel Stanton takes his usual morning bike ride, drops off the dog with his ex-wife, and heads to the lab where he studies incurable prion diseases for the CDC. His first phone call is from a hospital resident who has an urgent case she thinks he needs to see. Meanwhile, Chel Manu, a Guatemalan American researcher at the Getty Museum, is interrupted by a desperate, unwelcome visitor from the black market antiquities trade who thrusts a duffel bag into her hands.

By the end of the day, Stanton, the foremost expert on some of the rarest infections in the world, is grappling with a patient whose every symptom confounds and terrifies him. And Chel, the brightest young star in the field of Maya studies, has possession of an illegal artifact that has miraculously survived the centuries intact: a priceless codex from a lost city of her ancestors. This extraordinary record, written in secret by a royal scribe, seems to hold the answer to her life’s work and to one of history’s great riddles: why the Maya kingdoms vanished overnight. Suddenly it seems that our own civilization might suffer this same fate.

With only days remaining until December 21, 2012, Stanton and Chel must join forces before time runs out.

Advance praise for 12.21

“Dustin Thomason, M.D., will invariably be compared to Michael Crichton, M.D., and 12.21 will be favorably compared to The Andromeda Strain. Both authors have written first-rate medical thrillers, the kind of fact-based fiction that is very scary but also very entertaining. Thomason knows his stuff, and it shows on every page. I truly could not put this book down.”—Nelson DeMille

“The most exciting novel of its kind since the days of Michael Crichton, 12.21 takes us from the frontiers of modern neuroscience to the riddles of ancient Maya texts, with nothing less than the future of our civilization at stake.”—Vince Flynn

“A fast-moving tale . . . Thomason displays an impressive depth of knowledge of both science and the ancient Mayan way of life. Along the way, he skillfully ramps up the action, one notch at a time. A winning book.”—Kirkus Reviews

“Fascinating, terrifying for its potential realism. I loved how tightly everything fit together. I had to keep reading.”—Taylor Stevens, New York Times bestselling author of The Informationist

“Fast, suspenseful . . . Michael Crichton fans will find a lot to like.”—Publishers Weekly

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:50 -0400)

Two weeks before the end of the world predicted by the ancient, Maya calendar, Dr. Gabriel Stanton receives a call from a hospital resident alerting him to the presence of a patient whose every symptom confounds and terrifies him. Meanwhile, Chel Manu, a Guatemalan American researcher at the Getty Museum, finds herself in possession of an illegal ancient artifact: a priceless codex from a lost city of her ancestors. This record seems to hold the answer to why the Maya kingdoms vanished overnight. Suddenly it seems that our own civilization might suffer this same fate. Stanton and Manu join forces to find answers before time runs out.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Dustin Thomason's book 12.21 was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,115,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible