Speaking From Among the Bones by Alan…

Speaking From Among the Bones (2013)

by Alan Bradley

Series: Flavia de Luce (5)

The Case of the Missing Marquess by Nancy Springer (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Another historical with a young female genius...in this case the much younger (and somewhat neglected) sister of Sherlock Holmes. Has a lot of Flavia's spunk and determination to prove her worth although written for a younger audience.
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although I Capture the Castle is a coming-of-age story, not a mystery, both witty novels are narrated by precocious girls who, left to their own devices by their eccentric families, pursue adventures within the confines of quiet English villages.… (more)
    The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (Friederike.Geissler)

No spoilers. Read on without fear.

I've read five of Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce novels, and each and every one of them has done exactly what a fiction book should do: they have all entertained and enlightened me in the grandest fashion!

I'm not inspired to write more about these great little novels, but I want to let everyone know that they do not at all seem like they are written for children. There are no adult themes, but they read like good, clean fun with just enough ghoulishness to make them interesting. Fascinating, actually.

They are not big on suspense, but they are huge on interesting minutiae, and on depicting the world through a very smart little girl's unstoppably curious eyes.

Each one left me wanting more, more, more, and I had a very hard time finding another book to hold my interest as these did after I finished one.

Highly recommended. ( )
  chibitika | Jul 5, 2016 |
Love, love, love Flavia books. This one has a great cliff-hanger. Can't wait for the next installments. 5 Stars

Next two books are:

#7 The Nasty Light of Day
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |
Speaking From Among the Bones – Bradley

3 stars

I do love Flavia. She is precocious; intellectually, a genius. She is also a neglected, lonely child with one completely ineffectual parent. She’s funny, outrageous and not always a reliable narrator. She’s a character and a caricature, as are all of the other sitcom inhabitants of Bishop’s Lacy.

“The albumin contained in the eggshell has the property of collecting and binding the rubbish that floats in the dark liquid, which can then be removed and discarded in a single reeking clot: a perfect description of the writing process.”

This is the fifth book in Alan Bradley’s Flavia DeLuce series and I have enjoyed them all. I remember that I enjoyed them and I want to read the next one. I do not, however, remember the details of the plot or the solution of the mystery once I close the cover of the book. The murders are nothing more than a vehicle for Flavia’s antics and her frequent chemical sidebar comments. This book ended with another mystery solved and the portent of big changes to come in the DeLuce family. I will read the next one just to find out what Flavia does next.

If I were rating this book solely on how much I enjoyed it, I would give it 4 stars. Flavia makes me laugh out loud, and not many books do. But this book is a mystery and the mystery is forgettable. I rated it 3 stars so as not to mislead mystery fans.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
This is the fifth book in the Flavia de Luce mystery series. For those who enjoy the series, this one will not disappoint. Flavia's knowledge of chemistry once again helps her to figure out the mystery of how the organist's body was found in the crypt housing the bones of Saint Tancred. It is the 500th anniversary of the saint's death, and his bones are being removed from his tomb. Of course Flavia wormed her way in to be on site for the big reveal. While the mystery is pretty well done, it is the many characters that make these books so much fun to read. I will definitely keep going with the series.
  NanaCC | May 16, 2016 |

Bradley, Alanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Entwistle, JayneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montgomery, JoeCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moscowitz, OrliExecutive producersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perini, BenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thornburn, CathyDirectorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Shirley
Blood dripped from the neck of the severed head and fell in a drizzle of red raindrops, clotting into a ruby pool upon the black and white tiles.

It is almost Easter in Bishop's Lacey, and the villagers are holding their collective breath as the tomb of St Tancred in the church that bears his name is about to be opened after five hundred years. And as luck would have it, it's inveterate eleven-year-old sleuth Flavia de Luce who is first at the scene. But the body she finds lying there is clearly not that of a desiccated saint. For a start there's the pool of fresh blood, and then there's the gasmask, from under which an unmistakeable shock of golden hair identifies the corpse as that of Mr Collicutt, St Tancred's celebrated organist. Despite her tender years, Flavia is no stranger to murder - but even she is baffled by the peculiar circumstances of Collicutt's death. Especially when soon after, an effigy of St Tancred appears to be weeping blood onto the church floor. Determined to get to the bottom of the mystery, Flavia soon finds herself exploring a secret maze of underground passages beneath the church - and is drawn into the equally dark and fetid world of one of Bishop's Lacey's most peculiar families.

When the tomb of St. Tancred is opened at a village church in Bishop's Lacey, its shocking contents lead to another case for Flavia de Luce, where greed, pride and murder result in old secrets coming to light, along with a forgotten flower that hasn't been seen for half a thousand years.… (more)

343 wanted5 pay6 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Speaking From Among the Bones by Alan Bradley was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,221,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible