Speaking From Among the Bones by Alan…

Speaking From Among the Bones (2013)

by Alan Bradley

Series: Flavia de Luce (5)

The Case of the Missing Marquess by Nancy Springer (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Another historical with a young female genius...in this case the much younger (and somewhat neglected) sister of Sherlock Holmes. Has a lot of Flavia's spunk and determination to prove her worth although written for a younger audience.
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although I Capture the Castle is a coming-of-age story, not a mystery, both witty novels are narrated by precocious girls who, left to their own devices by their eccentric families, pursue adventures within the confines of quiet English villages.… (more)
    The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (Friederike.Geissler)

it is the best all the way to the end. ( )
  TracyKelley | Nov 23, 2016 |
The Precocious Flavia de Luce is back at it again. This time the organist of Saint Tancred's has gone missing. Her sister Ophelia has been named his replacement. Flavia's hunch about where the bat they'd seen might be hiding results in her finding the organist's corpse. The church plans to exhume Saint Tancred for an anniversary celebration but plans are thwarted by the bishop. Flavia finds a couple of other people also trying to play detective on this latest case. A lot is going on in this installment, and I don't want to give it all away. I will say, "What a cliffhanger!" I listened to the Overdrive audiobook for this, and I wish I'd downloaded the next installment before I left on my trip. I'm sure I'll be getting to it soon though. ( )
  thornton37814 | Oct 15, 2016 |
No spoilers. Read on without fear.

I've read five of Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce novels, and each and every one of them has done exactly what a fiction book should do: they have all entertained and enlightened me in the grandest fashion!

I'm not inspired to write more about these great little novels, but I want to let everyone know that they do not at all seem like they are written for children. There are no adult themes, but they read like good, clean fun with just enough ghoulishness to make them interesting. Fascinating, actually.

They are not big on suspense, but they are huge on interesting minutiae, and on depicting the world through a very smart little girl's unstoppably curious eyes.

Each one left me wanting more, more, more, and I had a very hard time finding another book to hold my interest as these did after I finished one.

Highly recommended. ( )
  chibitika | Jul 5, 2016 |
Love, love, love Flavia books. This one has a great cliff-hanger. Can't wait for the next installments. 5 Stars

Next two books are:

Moscowitz, OrliExecutive producersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perini, BenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thornburn, CathyDirectorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Shirley
Blood dripped from the neck of the severed head and fell in a drizzle of red raindrops, clotting into a ruby pool upon the black and white tiles.

It is almost Easter in Bishop's Lacey, and the villagers are holding their collective breath as the tomb of St Tancred in the church that bears his name is about to be opened after five hundred years. And as luck would have it, it's inveterate eleven-year-old sleuth Flavia de Luce who is first at the scene. But the body she finds lying there is clearly not that of a desiccated saint. For a start there's the pool of fresh blood, and then there's the gasmask, from under which an unmistakeable shock of golden hair identifies the corpse as that of Mr Collicutt, St Tancred's celebrated organist. Despite her tender years, Flavia is no stranger to murder - but even she is baffled by the peculiar circumstances of Collicutt's death. Especially when soon after, an effigy of St Tancred appears to be weeping blood onto the church floor. Determined to get to the bottom of the mystery, Flavia soon finds herself exploring a secret maze of underground passages beneath the church - and is drawn into the equally dark and fetid world of one of Bishop's Lacey's most peculiar families.

When the tomb of St. Tancred is opened at a village church in Bishop's Lacey, its shocking contents lead to another case for Flavia de Luce, where greed, pride and murder result in old secrets coming to light, along with a forgotten flower that hasn't been seen for half a thousand years.… (more)

343 wanted5 pay7 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Speaking From Among the Bones by Alan Bradley was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,742,052 books! | Top bar: Always visible