Speaking from Among the Bones: A Flavia de…

Speaking from Among the Bones: A Flavia de Luce Novel (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Alan Bradley

Member:VioletBramble
Title:Speaking from Among the Bones: A Flavia de Luce Novel
Authors:Alan Bradley
Info:Delacorte Press (2013), Hardcover, 400 pages
Tags:Early Reviewers, Fiction, Mystery, Series, Read in 2012

Speaking From Among the Bones by Alan Bradley (2013)

The Case of the Missing Marquess by Nancy Springer (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Another historical with a young female genius...in this case the much younger (and somewhat neglected) sister of Sherlock Holmes. Has a lot of Flavia's spunk and determination to prove her worth although written for a younger audience.
    The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (Friederike.Geissler)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Set in the English Countryside post WW 2, young Flavea Du Luse has grand adventures solving crimes. She travels around on her beloved bike Gladys. She lives in a crumbling manor houses and has an extensive laboratory at her disposal to do her experiments. She is always a couple of steps ahead of the police. ( )
  kresslya | Jul 27, 2014 |
Love Flavia DeLuce and her family. I can't wait to read the next one in the series! ( )
  rtevels | Jun 20, 2014 |
3.5 stars

The town is planning to open up the tomb of St. Tancred. But when the tomb is opened, they find the body of the organist at Flavia's church, who had gone missing. Flavia can't resist but to try to figure out what happened.

Jayne Entwhistle continues to do an amazing job of voicing the likeable Flavia for the audio books. At the same time, the novelty is starting to wear off for me, I think. My mind does tend to wander at times while I listen. At the same time, I am quite amazed at how much of these books don't focus on the murder mystery at hand, yet there still comes an entire book out of it. I had been debating about giving up the series... until the cliffhanger ending on this one! I will be continuing with the next book, after all. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jun 20, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Another great Flavia de Luce book. Once again our young sleuth with the help of Gladys her bicycle gathers the clues to uncover who killed poor Mr. Collicutt. An absolute delight! ( )
  Brenda63 | May 7, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
More shenanigans involving the intrepid Flavia de Luce.

Having fallen head-over-heels in love with young Flavia in the debut novel of this series, [title:The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie], and thoroughly enjoying the second of the series, [title:The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag], I was a little disappointed by the third and fourth volumes, which failed to live up to the high standards set by their predecessors. That isn't to say they weren't good stories, just not the stellar achievements I had come to expect. This, the fifth installment, however, restored my faith in Flavia (and Bradley) and made for a most entertaining few hours.

The opening of St. Tancred's tomb in the village of Bishop's Lacey is a rather odd way to celebrate the 500-year anniversary of the local church, to my way of thinking, but that's what's going on when the body of Crispin Collicutt, the church organist, is found in the crypt. Flavia, naturally, is Johnny-on-the-spot with her investigation, in part because of her natural inquisitiveness, but also, I believe, as a way of distracting herself from the distressing circumstances of her home life. The de Luces are inches away from losing their ancestral home forever, and Flavia is avoiding that reality by plunging headlong into another murder investigation. (Come to think of it, an awful lot of people end up dead for such a small English village. If I were among the townsfolk, I'd be giving serious consideration to moving house.)

As always, Flavia runs headlong into trouble: with the local constabulary, with a mysterious paleobotanist, and with her sisters, of course. Somehow it all works out, as you knew it would, but at the very last minute, there's that humdinger of a cliffhanger to whet your appetite for the next book!

Well done, Mr. Bradley. And curse you for leaving me hanging like this!

Thank you to LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program for the opportunity to read this book. ( )
  avanta7 | May 6, 2014 |

Alan Bradleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Entwistle, JayneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Shirley
Blood dripped from the neck of the severed head and fell in a drizzle of red raindrops, clotting into a ruby pool upon the black and white tiles.

It is almost Easter in Bishop's Lacey, and the villagers are holding their collective breath as the tomb of St Tancred in the church that bears his name is about to be opened after five hundred years. And as luck would have it, it's inveterate eleven-year-old sleuth Flavia de Luce who is first at the scene. But the body she finds lying there is clearly not that of a desiccated saint. For a start there's the pool of fresh blood, and then there's the gasmask, from under which an unmistakeable shock of golden hair identifies the corpse as that of Mr Collicutt, St Tancred's celebrated organist. Despite her tender years, Flavia is no stranger to murder - but even she is baffled by the peculiar circumstances of Collicutt's death. Especially when soon after, an effigy of St Tancred appears to be weeping blood onto the church floor. Determined to get to the bottom of the mystery, Flavia soon finds herself exploring a secret maze of underground passages beneath the church - and is drawn into the equally dark and fetid world of one of Bishop's Lacey's most peculiar families.

When the tomb of St. Tancred is opened at a village church in Bishop's Lacey, its shocking contents lead to another case for Flavia de Luce, where greed, pride and murder result in old secrets coming to light, along with a forgotten flower that hasn't been seen for half a thousand years.… (more)

114 wanted4 pay4 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Speaking From Among the Bones by Alan Bradley was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,699,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible