Speaking from Among the Bones: A Flavia de…

Speaking from Among the Bones: A Flavia de Luce Novel (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Alan Bradley

Member:VioletBramble
Title:Speaking from Among the Bones: A Flavia de Luce Novel
Authors:Alan Bradley
Info:Delacorte Press (2013), Hardcover, 400 pages
Tags:Early Reviewers, Fiction, Mystery, Series, Read in 2012

Speaking From Among the Bones by Alan Bradley (2013)

The Case of the Missing Marquess by Nancy Springer (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Another historical with a young female genius...in this case the much younger (and somewhat neglected) sister of Sherlock Holmes. Has a lot of Flavia's spunk and determination to prove her worth although written for a younger audience.
    The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (Friederike.Geissler)

I found the mystery here harder to follow but the twist at the end more than made up for it! Can't wait to read the new book, coming out tomorrow! ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
Oh, I love Flavia! I hadn't heard of her at all until this book popped up a few times in various threads on LT. I couldn't get hold of the first in the series, so I've started here, and now I'll have to go and read the rest. Really, I love her on behalf of my precocious childhood self, who would have adored Flavia, and had much the same attitude towards adults and the rest of the world that she does. I was however, no chemistry genius. And it does feel a little, that after a run of young Flavia books we may end up with either 'Flavia as an adult embittered with the system takes justice into her own hands with a series of vigilante poison-based murders, and is never caught because she's so good', or 'Flavia loses her grip on sanity and starts poisoning everyone'. (I'd still read those books too) ( )
  evilmoose | Nov 30, 2014 |
Another brilliant Flavia to savour. These books, while being neither Great Literature, nor one of those series that gather in momentum to a grand crescendo of heightened complexity, are nevertheless cracking great reads. Flavia has become one of my favourite literary heroines, along with Elizabeth Bennet (Austen), Margaret Schliegl (Forster) and Ottoline (Riddel). This one ends on a real cliffhanger, something the others have not.... I impatiently wait the further adventures, if adventures is the word I want, of Flavia de Luce. ( )
  atuson | Sep 7, 2014 |
Flavia is back in this fifth installment of the most charming series I've read in a long time. It's almost Easter and for the 500th anniversary of Saint Tancred's death the village is preparing to open his tomb. Of course Flavia manages to insert herself in the right place at exactly the right moment, making herself the first person to peak inside. But when Mr. Collicutt, the church organist, is found dead inside Flavia can't help but investigate. This time, however, she has some competition and soon the wooden statue of St. Tancred is dripping blood and her travels with Gladys bring her even more knowledge of her long-dead mother.

I've always felt the Flavia de Luce books were best read slowly and deliberately, the better to savor the wonderfully clever writing of Mr. Bradley. I did pretty good with this one for a while, but the closer I got to the end I lapsed into my familiar pattern of not being able to put it down until I finished. And what an ending! This book isn't even out yet (I got an advance copy) and I'm already eagerly awaiting the next book. Thank you Mr. Bradley and Flavia! ( )
  J.Green | Aug 26, 2014 |

Alan Bradleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Entwistle, JayneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Shirley
Blood dripped from the neck of the severed head and fell in a drizzle of red raindrops, clotting into a ruby pool upon the black and white tiles.

It is almost Easter in Bishop's Lacey, and the villagers are holding their collective breath as the tomb of St Tancred in the church that bears his name is about to be opened after five hundred years. And as luck would have it, it's inveterate eleven-year-old sleuth Flavia de Luce who is first at the scene. But the body she finds lying there is clearly not that of a desiccated saint. For a start there's the pool of fresh blood, and then there's the gasmask, from under which an unmistakeable shock of golden hair identifies the corpse as that of Mr Collicutt, St Tancred's celebrated organist. Despite her tender years, Flavia is no stranger to murder - but even she is baffled by the peculiar circumstances of Collicutt's death. Especially when soon after, an effigy of St Tancred appears to be weeping blood onto the church floor. Determined to get to the bottom of the mystery, Flavia soon finds herself exploring a secret maze of underground passages beneath the church - and is drawn into the equally dark and fetid world of one of Bishop's Lacey's most peculiar families.

When the tomb of St. Tancred is opened at a village church in Bishop's Lacey, its shocking contents lead to another case for Flavia de Luce, where greed, pride and murder result in old secrets coming to light, along with a forgotten flower that hasn't been seen for half a thousand years.… (more)

114 wanted5 pay4 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Speaking From Among the Bones by Alan Bradley was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,323,937 books! | Top bar: Always visible