Speaking From Among the Bones by Alan…

Speaking From Among the Bones (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Alan Bradley

Member:vancouverdeb
Title:Speaking From Among the Bones
Authors:Alan Bradley
Info:Doubleday Canada (2013), Hardcover, 384 pages
Tags:fiction, mystery, Canadian author, England, Flavia de Luce, historical fiction

Speaking From Among the Bones by Alan Bradley (2013)

The Case of the Missing Marquess by Nancy Springer (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Another historical with a young female genius...in this case the much younger (and somewhat neglected) sister of Sherlock Holmes. Has a lot of Flavia's spunk and determination to prove her worth although written for a younger audience.
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although I Capture the Castle is a coming-of-age story, not a mystery, both witty novels are narrated by precocious girls who, left to their own devices by their eccentric families, pursue adventures within the confines of quiet English villages.… (more)
    The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (Friederike.Geissler)

English (168)  German (1)  All (169)
My favorite so far! I was going to rate it with 4 stars, but the interactions with the sisters and that OHMYGOD cliffhanger at the end made me give it a solid 5 :) ( )
  Danyspike | Jan 13, 2017 |
The church's organist has done a bunk, and Flavia's eldest sister "Feely" (Ophelia) has taken his place.... Something is wrong with the pipe organ and when Feely & Flavia go up to invetigate they find a bat....

Meanwhile the remains of the local saint are about to be disinterred and in doing so the body of the organist is found above the crypt....

It is really important that I like the characters and I find that more & more I detest Flavia's sisters, especially the eldest.... their cruelty could be well done away with. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 8, 2017 |
Another clever and engrossing installment in the series starring Flavia de Luce, eleven year old chemistry prodigy and sleuth. ( )
  kaitanya64 | Jan 3, 2017 |
Lots of fun to read, though easy enough to solve. The ending was a true surprise and now I have to find the next book! ( )
  aurelas | Dec 23, 2016 |
She's baaaack! I really enjoy this series and I'm so happy that Alan Bradley has managed to keep us entertained and interested with each new installment. Our 'old beyond her years' Flavia has again stumbled across a body and managed to pester and annoy a lot of people in her pursuit of the truth. I don't know why I enjoy her so much but I just do! This book advances the story a long and sets us up perfectly for the next one. I can't wait! ( )
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |

Bradley, Alanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Entwistle, JayneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montgomery, JoeCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moscowitz, OrliExecutive producersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perini, BenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thornburn, CathyDirectorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Shirley
Blood dripped from the neck of the severed head and fell in a drizzle of red raindrops, clotting into a ruby pool upon the black and white tiles.

It is almost Easter in Bishop's Lacey, and the villagers are holding their collective breath as the tomb of St Tancred in the church that bears his name is about to be opened after five hundred years. And as luck would have it, it's inveterate eleven-year-old sleuth Flavia de Luce who is first at the scene. But the body she finds lying there is clearly not that of a desiccated saint. For a start there's the pool of fresh blood, and then there's the gasmask, from under which an unmistakeable shock of golden hair identifies the corpse as that of Mr Collicutt, St Tancred's celebrated organist. Despite her tender years, Flavia is no stranger to murder - but even she is baffled by the peculiar circumstances of Collicutt's death. Especially when soon after, an effigy of St Tancred appears to be weeping blood onto the church floor. Determined to get to the bottom of the mystery, Flavia soon finds herself exploring a secret maze of underground passages beneath the church - and is drawn into the equally dark and fetid world of one of Bishop's Lacey's most peculiar families.

When the tomb of St. Tancred is opened at a village church in Bishop's Lacey, its shocking contents lead to another case for Flavia de Luce, where greed, pride and murder result in old secrets coming to light, along with a forgotten flower that hasn't been seen for half a thousand years.… (more)

343 wanted5 pay8 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Speaking From Among the Bones by Alan Bradley was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,621,845 books! | Top bar: Always visible