Speaking from Among the Bones: A Flavia de…

Speaking from Among the Bones: A Flavia de Luce Novel (edition 2013)

by Alan Bradley

697None13,605 (4.21)158
Member:EscritoraSarita
Title:Speaking from Among the Bones: A Flavia de Luce Novel
Authors:Alan Bradley
Info:Delacorte Press (2013), Hardcover, 400 pages
Tags:read in 2012, mystery, historical fiction, england, science, smart girl, post-war, world war ii

Speaking From Among the Bones by Alan Bradley

The Case of the Missing Marquess by Nancy Springer (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Another historical with a young female genius...in this case the much younger (and somewhat neglected) sister of Sherlock Holmes. Has a lot of Flavia's spunk and determination to prove her worth although written for a younger audience.
    The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (Friederike.Geissler)

Flavia de Luce, my favorite young detective, solves another murder-mystery in her small English village. Whether she's astride her trusty bike Gladys, plotting poisonous revenge on her sisters, or assisting Inspector Hewitt Flavia goes boldly and leaves a trail of wreckage behind her! I adore her and can't wait for the next book, as this one ends with a cliffhanger! ( )
  obedah | Mar 26, 2014 |
Another great Flavia de Luce mystery full of twists and turns, plus one hell of an ending. Full review to come. ( )
  Tahleen | Feb 16, 2014 |
The Flavia de Luce series is one of my favorite book series that I have ever read. I love the quirky inquisitiveness of Flavia and her great love of poisons. the development of the characters throughout the series just makes me more curious to read to the conclusion of the series to see what is in store for them all.
As is usual a murder mystery is presented and Flavia goes about solving this mystery in her own way and gets herself into much mischief and danger along the way.
This novel is an excellent addition to the Flavia series, introducing more pieces to the overarching saga of the family and their situation and ends in a spectacular cliff-hanger. ( )
  kgthor | Feb 9, 2014 |
This whole series is entertaining, though I'd like to see Flavia age a little bit, go to school, something. She's a little too evil genius to no good purpose. One assumes that if she grew up a little, she'd be more helpful and less annoying.

However, she seems to be making progress with getting along with their sisters, even as they're about to lose the family's historic property. And then there's the little cliffhanger at the end, leaving the reader dying for more. Was wondering whether that would happen, but I shall say no more.

Fun enough reads. Not deep. I can probably be done after the next book. ( )
  mbmeadow | Feb 6, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have grudgingly given this book five 5 stars - grudgingly because they will make us wait for the next one! Flavia is brilliant as always in Speaking from Among the Bones. Her unapologetic intelligence, perceptiveness and wit make her one of my favorite characters of all time. Without giving anything away, I will simply say I don't ever recall a cliffhanger -literary or cinematic - that ever had me waiting as breathlessly for the next installment as the five words that close this book. Hurry up Mr Bradley and bring the next Flavia de Luce into the light ( )
  julie.billing | Feb 5, 2014 |

Alan Bradleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Entwistle, JayneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Shirley
Blood dripped from the neck of the severed head and fell in a drizzle of red raindrops, clotting into a ruby pool upon the black and white tiles.

It is almost Easter in Bishop's Lacey, and the villagers are holding their collective breath as the tomb of St Tancred in the church that bears his name is about to be opened after five hundred years. And as luck would have it, it's inveterate eleven-year-old sleuth Flavia de Luce who is first at the scene. But the body she finds lying there is clearly not that of a desiccated saint. For a start there's the pool of fresh blood, and then there's the gasmask, from under which an unmistakeable shock of golden hair identifies the corpse as that of Mr Collicutt, St Tancred's celebrated organist. Despite her tender years, Flavia is no stranger to murder - but even she is baffled by the peculiar circumstances of Collicutt's death. Especially when soon after, an effigy of St Tancred appears to be weeping blood onto the church floor. Determined to get to the bottom of the mystery, Flavia soon finds herself exploring a secret maze of underground passages beneath the church - and is drawn into the equally dark and fetid world of one of Bishop's Lacey's most peculiar families.

When the tomb of St. Tancred is opened at a village church in Bishop's Lacey, its shocking contents lead to another case for Flavia de Luce, where greed, pride and murder result in old secrets coming to light, along with a forgotten flower that hasn't been seen for half a thousand years.… (more)

114 wanted4 pay3 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Speaking From Among the Bones by Alan Bradley was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,430,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible