Speaking from Among the Bones: A Flavia de…

Speaking from Among the Bones: A Flavia de Luce Novel (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Alan Bradley

Member:EscritoraSarita
Title:Speaking from Among the Bones: A Flavia de Luce Novel
Authors:Alan Bradley
Info:Delacorte Press (2013), Hardcover, 400 pages
Tags:read in 2012, mystery, historical fiction, england, science, smart girl, post-war, world war ii

Speaking From Among the Bones by Alan Bradley (2013)

Recently added byRegyWurm, Willoyd, BondLamberty, alessvi, J.Green, HancockPoint, private library, DTChantel
    The Case of the Missing Marquess by Nancy Springer (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Another historical with a young female genius...in this case the much younger (and somewhat neglected) sister of Sherlock Holmes. Has a lot of Flavia's spunk and determination to prove her worth although written for a younger audience.
    The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (Friederike.Geissler)

Flavia is back in this fifth installment of the most charming series I've read in a long time. It's almost Easter and for the 500th anniversary of Saint Tancred's death the village is preparing to open his tomb. Of course Flavia manages to insert herself in the right place at exactly the right moment, making herself the first person to peak inside. But when Mr. Collicutt, the church organist, is found dead inside Flavia can't help but investigate. This time, however, she has some competition and soon the wooden statue of St. Tancred is dripping blood and her travels with Gladys bring her even more knowledge of her long-dead mother.

I've always felt the Flavia de Luce books were best read slowly and deliberately, the better to savor the wonderfully clever writing of Mr. Bradley. I did pretty good with this one for a while, but the closer I got to the end I lapsed into my familiar pattern of not being able to put it down until I finished. And what an ending! This book isn't even out yet (I got an advance copy) and I'm already eagerly awaiting the next book. Thank you Mr. Bradley and Flavia! ( )

J.Green | Aug 26, 2014 |
Ahhhhhhh!!!!! Really?!?! How long do we have to wait to find out what that means?

That was my first reaction to the last line of the book. The Flavia books are quickly becoming some of my favorites of all time, and the series is definitely at the top of my list. The tangle of mystery, murder, and normal family life make these a great read for all ages. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
By the fifth installment in the Flavia de Luce series, the formula is well-established. The non-mystery subplot elements (in this case, continuing financial troubles with Buckshaw, more serious than before, and a major spoiler cliffhanger ending) play a more significant role than in some of the earlier books, and with the cliffhanger this book is also somewhat less self-contained than the earlier episodes.

The village is celebrating the 500th anniversary of the death of the local saint, St. Tancred, and in celebration they open the crypt to find a significantly younger corpse, that of the church organist. Flavia, of course, is on hand and soon involved in the mystery in what is by now a familiar fashion, and supporting characters old and new are as usual well-realized and entertaining (though Daffy and Feely are by now a bit tiresome).

The fresh joy of the first couple Flavia novels is gone by now, but this is still an entertaining read. ( )
  lorax | Aug 5, 2014 |

Alan Bradleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Entwistle, JayneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Shirley
Blood dripped from the neck of the severed head and fell in a drizzle of red raindrops, clotting into a ruby pool upon the black and white tiles.

It is almost Easter in Bishop's Lacey, and the villagers are holding their collective breath as the tomb of St Tancred in the church that bears his name is about to be opened after five hundred years. And as luck would have it, it's inveterate eleven-year-old sleuth Flavia de Luce who is first at the scene. But the body she finds lying there is clearly not that of a desiccated saint. For a start there's the pool of fresh blood, and then there's the gasmask, from under which an unmistakeable shock of golden hair identifies the corpse as that of Mr Collicutt, St Tancred's celebrated organist. Despite her tender years, Flavia is no stranger to murder - but even she is baffled by the peculiar circumstances of Collicutt's death. Especially when soon after, an effigy of St Tancred appears to be weeping blood onto the church floor. Determined to get to the bottom of the mystery, Flavia soon finds herself exploring a secret maze of underground passages beneath the church - and is drawn into the equally dark and fetid world of one of Bishop's Lacey's most peculiar families.

When the tomb of St. Tancred is opened at a village church in Bishop's Lacey, its shocking contents lead to another case for Flavia de Luce, where greed, pride and murder result in old secrets coming to light, along with a forgotten flower that hasn't been seen for half a thousand years.… (more)

114 wanted5 pay4 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Speaking From Among the Bones by Alan Bradley was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,339,298 books! | Top bar: Always visible