Rape Girl by Alina Klein

Authors:Alina Klein
Info:namelos (2012), Hardcover, 132 pages

Rape Girl by Alina Klein

See the full review on Short & Sweet Reviews

Rape Girl was difficult to read, not because it was graphic -- it's a YA book so little more than kissing is actually depicted -- but because it very plainly shows the aftermath of an assault and the way victims are sadly often blamed for what happened to them, and how the victims themselves internalize that blame. Valerie's entire life changes after the incident, and she's left adrift by a system that's supposed to be supporting her. It's shocking and disturbing to see the way people turn on her. While she has some supportive people in her life -- her mother, a guidance counselor, the people in her support group -- many more are quick to turn their backs on her, blaming her for ruining her attacker's life.

The book really explores and challenges the expectations stereotypes that people may have about assault. More women are assaulted by someone they know than by the Law & Order-type criminal skulking in dark alleyways. I think this is an important book to read, perhaps as a discussion starter with your teenaged child, or a teenager in your life. ( )
  goorgoahead | Dec 4, 2013 |
3.5 stars.

I finished it in just 2hours. It's a fast read book since it only has 129 pages. And it's too short to my liking. I mean, the idea is good. But I wish Alina Klein elaborated more. Cause it's like the author's cramming it all up in a 100page something book. I thought that there're more pages left, I didn't expect to the story would end just like that. I feel like there's still a lot of potential for this book.

Valerie could still grow, develops her character. But it just, BAM! That's it. And there were times that I was confused. I can't fully understand Valerie. I mean, yes, I know she's traumatized because she was raped. She lost all her friends, she was accused as a liar and all that. But still I don't see enough emotions in her. She's like, dead, flat or something. Cause in the first pages, she's not really, you know, horrified like a rape victim. She lacked emotions, as Katy said to her review. I think the mother horded all the emotions she should feel.

Oh, yeah. I think that's it. The mother was much more heartbroken (which is of course, understandable, who's mom would just let it happen, anyway?), her mom has it more emotions than Valerie.

I like how Valerie's family been very supportive of her and how she told her mom about it. Not all could admit that they were raped. And mostly girls just keeps it to themselves cause they are afraid of what the society and their peers would think. How it would ruin their image. But you must know that we shouldn't really keep it to ourselves cause it could happen again to anyone. What if it's your sister was next? You'll just blame yourself that you kept it all by yourselves. So better man it up! Remember, YOU. ARE. NOT. ALONE. ( )
  lexiechan | Sep 10, 2013 |
Went to a writing conference where the author presented. She spoke about the process of writing Rape Girl and how she blended fact and fiction. I think the obstacles that Valerie faces are well-presented and easily accessible. This book will be helpful for girls going through similar situations. ( )
  luvlylibrarian | May 13, 2013 |
I've seen a lot of great buzz about this novel but I was disappointed. Valerie's emotional pain as a rape victim rings true enough, but the Wesley and Sandrina characters seem contrived. The principal insisting Valerie meet with Adam seems implausible as does her friend Mimi's complete abandoning of her. I also didn't understand the significance of Adam's desire to be a Mormon missionary. His attitude and behavior is certainly not reflective of someone with a deep-felt religious faith. I've read much better rape survivor stories, Laurie Anderson's Speak towering above them all. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
Cover Impressions: I will be honest, the cover didn't wow me. It was the title and synopsis that got me interested. Perhaps it looks different on the physical copy, or perhaps there is some symbolism behind the cover image that I missed. Either way - do not judge this one by it's cover!

The Gist: Valerie wanted to throw a fun party and maybe flirt with her crush. She didn't know that within 24 hrs she would be labeled as The Rape Girl and that she would lose her friends, her reputation and her sense of self.

Review: Rape Girl is one of those rare books that wraps it's tendrils around my heart and refuses to let go. I read it in pretty much one sitting, over a few hours and am still left with an overwhelming need to re-examine and discuss it. I want to make my friends read it, I want to bombard the author with my questions and, more than any of those, I want to get multiple copies for my classroom.

The first few chapters of this book are divided into Before and After. This is incredibly effective and reflects the way that many victims will always structure their memories. While we follow Valerie's rape and the aftermath, we do not get the graphic descriptions that can be common in other books on this subject and this allows it to maintain appropriateness for teens. Throughout this novel, we are privy to Valerie's inner thoughts and feelings as her friends desert her and her family struggles to deal with their own sense of guilt. The pain from each of these people is palpable and poignant.

The actions on the part of Valerie, her mother, best friend and even her rapist feel incredibly realistic. At one point, we hear from this young man and my stomach turned to ice simply reading his justifications for his crimes, knowing that a person with this deluded sense of entitlement as a man will most certainly assault another woman. While his words are chilling, they seem typical of a person who has convinced himself that he has done nothing wrong. I was also seriously disturbed at the actions of the principal. As a teacher, the thought that a man in that position could so blatantly side with the perpetrator of a rape makes me ill.

Rape Girl has easily made my list of top books for 2012 and is one that I highly recommend to both teens and adults.

Teaching/Parental Notes:

Age: 13 and up
Gender: Female
Sex: Kissing, Talk of Sex
Violence: Rape - No Graphic Descriptions
Inappropriate Language: Bitch, Fuck, Ho, Dildo, Ass, Whore, Shit, Bastard
Substance Use/Abuse: Underage Drinking ( )
  ZabetReading | Mar 31, 2013 |

Everyone thinks they know what happened between Valerie and Adam that night at the party, so they start calling her "Rape Girl" and many of her friends start to vanish. Will life ever return to normal? One thing is for sure: nothing will ever be the same.… (more)

Alina Klein is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,466,519 books! | Top bar: Always visible