Rape Girl by Alina Klein

Title:Rape Girl
Authors:Alina Klein
Info:namelos (2012), Hardcover, 132 pages

Rape Girl by Alina Klein

A short but powerful story about a sixteen-year-old girl who is raped by a boy she has a crush on. The story and characters are incredibly real, so this story, while never graphic, is emotionally gripping. ( )
  LynnB | Jul 18, 2014 |
See the full review on Short & Sweet Reviews

Rape Girl was difficult to read, not because it was graphic -- it's a YA book so little more than kissing is actually depicted -- but because it very plainly shows the aftermath of an assault and the way victims are sadly often blamed for what happened to them, and how the victims themselves internalize that blame. Valerie's entire life changes after the incident, and she's left adrift by a system that's supposed to be supporting her. It's shocking and disturbing to see the way people turn on her. While she has some supportive people in her life -- her mother, a guidance counselor, the people in her support group -- many more are quick to turn their backs on her, blaming her for ruining her attacker's life.

The book really explores and challenges the expectations stereotypes that people may have about assault. More women are assaulted by someone they know than by the Law & Order-type criminal skulking in dark alleyways. I think this is an important book to read, perhaps as a discussion starter with your teenaged child, or a teenager in your life. ( )
  goorgoahead | Dec 4, 2013 |
3.5 stars.

I finished it in just 2hours. It's a fast read book since it only has 129 pages. And it's too short to my liking. I mean, the idea is good. But I wish Alina Klein elaborated more. Cause it's like the author's cramming it all up in a 100page something book. I thought that there're more pages left, I didn't expect to the story would end just like that. I feel like there's still a lot of potential for this book.

Valerie could still grow, develops her character. But it just, BAM! That's it. And there were times that I was confused. I can't fully understand Valerie. I mean, yes, I know she's traumatized because she was raped. She lost all her friends, she was accused as a liar and all that. But still I don't see enough emotions in her. She's like, dead, flat or something. Cause in the first pages, she's not really, you know, horrified like a rape victim. She lacked emotions, as Katy said to her review. I think the mother horded all the emotions she should feel.

Oh, yeah. I think that's it. The mother was much more heartbroken (which is of course, understandable, who's mom would just let it happen, anyway?), her mom has it more emotions than Valerie.

I like how Valerie's family been very supportive of her and how she told her mom about it. Not all could admit that they were raped. And mostly girls just keeps it to themselves cause they are afraid of what the society and their peers would think. How it would ruin their image. But you must know that we shouldn't really keep it to ourselves cause it could happen again to anyone. What if it's your sister was next? You'll just blame yourself that you kept it all by yourselves. So better man it up! Remember, YOU. ARE. NOT. ALONE. ( )
  lexiechan | Sep 10, 2013 |
Went to a writing conference where the author presented. She spoke about the process of writing Rape Girl and how she blended fact and fiction. I think the obstacles that Valerie faces are well-presented and easily accessible. This book will be helpful for girls going through similar situations. ( )
  luvlylibrarian | May 13, 2013 |
I've seen a lot of great buzz about this novel but I was disappointed. Valerie's emotional pain as a rape victim rings true enough, but the Wesley and Sandrina characters seem contrived. The principal insisting Valerie meet with Adam seems implausible as does her friend Mimi's complete abandoning of her. I also didn't understand the significance of Adam's desire to be a Mormon missionary. His attitude and behavior is certainly not reflective of someone with a deep-felt religious faith. I've read much better rape survivor stories, Laurie Anderson's Speak towering above them all. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
For Pat
The police already knew about the party.

Everyone thinks they know what happened between Valerie and Adam that night at the party, so they start calling her "Rape Girl" and many of her friends start to vanish. Will life ever return to normal? One thing is for sure: nothing will ever be the same.… (more)

Alina Klein is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

namelos

An edition of this book was published by namelos.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,344,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible