Doctor Sleep: A Novel by Stephen King

Doctor Sleep: A Novel (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Stephen King

Member:clamairy
Title:Doctor Sleep: A Novel
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Scribner (2013), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 544 pages
Collections:To read
Tags:Pete's bday

Doctor Sleep by Stephen King (2013)

English (226)  Italian (2)  German (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (237)
Another amazing Stephen King book. There is a reason he is one of my favorite authors. I had some mixed feelings about this book. After reading The Shining, I half expected Dan's life to be different. But once I thought about it, it made sense for Dan to take the path he did. After everything he endured as a child, it made sense. We all have our own demons to face. Sometimes we conquer them and sometimes we dont. The last chapter made me want to cry. This is one I would definitely read again! ( )
  kkranig | Sep 4, 2018 |
On my third read through one of my all time favorite King novels I have to ask myself "Why does this story make me so emotional?" I can answer that question for the two times prior and it is because I was witnessing Danny's journey, while watching someone (at the time) very close to me in my actual life fall deeper and deeper into alcoholism. Doctor Sleep revisits Danny Torrance, the son of Jack and Wendy from The Shining, and his very own struggles with alcoholism. The apple didn't fall far from the tree, apparently. But now, on the other side of a bad situation I find myself really wondering what it is about the novel that hits me dead in the feels. I could focus on the supernatural aspects, sure, but what's most beautiful to me about Doctor Sleep is to see this character that we knew since childhood hit his absolute bottom and then find strength in purpose brought to him from the amazing people he meets along the way. Most memorable (and my favorite) being Abra Stone, a 13 year old little girl with special talents even greater than Dan's. This truly is one of the most beautiful and meaningful novels I've ever read. King, being a former alcoholic himself, did an amazing job at conveying what an addict goes through before, during, and long after becoming sober. So.. all in all I think it's how real everything comes off. The nastiness that is addiction was far scarier than a certain band of RV driving child murderers and will never fail to hit so close to home. ( )
  heyitsbrandysbooks | Jul 24, 2018 |
Although I enjoyed this book, and it kept me interested, it wasn't quite as brilliant, or scary, as I'd hoped. ( )
  AngelaJMaher | Jun 19, 2018 |
I love Stephen King. He's been one of my favourite authors for a long time now. It all began with It. Sadly, me and Doctor Sleep did not get along as much as I would have liked.

If you've ever wondered what happened to Danny Torrance after he and his mother escaped the hotel and are curious to find out what kind of an adult he becomes, then this is for you.

Nobody that has read or watched The Shining will be surprised to hear that Danny did not turn into a functioning adult but rather into a huge alcoholic mess.

The characters are fleshed out in ways only King can flesh out characters. However, the book lacked punch, and I struggled with the pacing throughout the first half. It starts out in an intriguing way, then loses momentum and doesn't regain it until far later in the book.

For once the villains weren't as scary as they ought to be. In fact, I think alcoholism and Danny's eternal demons were much scarier than the actual vampire like creatures who feed on children with the Shining. I really liked the character of Abra Stone, though. She was definitely a great addition to this book.

All in all, definitely worth a read but not one of King's best. ( )
  Vinjii | Jun 18, 2018 |
Loved it. It was great to find out what happened to Danny Torrance after the events at the Overlook. Some good twists that I didn't see coming and a great read. ( )
  skgregory | May 25, 2018 |
What are those virtues? First, King is a well-trusted guide to the underworld. His readers will follow him through any door marked “Danger: Keep Out” (or, in more literary terms, “Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here”), because they know that not only will he give them a thorough tour of the inferno — no gore left unspilled, no shriek left unshrieked — he will also get them out alive. As the Sibyl of Cumae puts it to Aeneas, it’s easy to go to hell, but returning from it is the hard part. She can say that because she’s been there; and, in a manner of speaking — our intuition tells us — so has King.

Second, King is right at the center of an American literary taproot that goes all the way down: to the Puritans and their belief in witches, to Hawthorne, to Poe, to Melville, to the Henry James of “The Turn of the Screw,” and then to later exemplars like Ray Bradbury. In the future, I predict, theses will be written on such subjects as “American Puritan Neo-Surrealism in ‘The Scarlet Letter’ and ‘The Shining,’ ” and “Melville’s Pequod and King’s Overlook Hotel as Structures That Encapsulate American History.”
added by ozzer | editNew York Times, Margaret Atwood (Sep 19, 2013)

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Levinsen, JakobTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We stood at the turning point. Half-measures availed us nothing.
- The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous
If we were to live, we had to be free of anger. [It is] the dubious luxury of normal men and women.
- The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous
When I was playing my primitive band of rhythm guitar with a group called the Rock Bottom Remainders, Warren Zevon used to gig with us. Warren loved gray t-shirts and movies like Kingdom of the Spiders. He insisted I sing lead on his signature tune, "Werewolves of London", during the encore portion of our shows. I said I was not worthy. He insisted that I was. "Key of G", Warren told me, "and howl like you mean it. Most important of all, play like Keith."
I'll never be able to play like Keith Richards, but I always did my best, and with Warren beside me, matching me note for note and laughing his fool head off, I always had a blast.
Warren, this howl is for you, wherever you are. I miss you, buddy.
On the second day of December in a year when a Georgia peanut farmer was doing business in the White House, one of Colorado's great resort hotels burned to the ground.
The True's towns, with colorful names like Dry Bend, Jerusalem's Lot, Oree, and Sidewinder, were safe havens, but they never stayed in those places for long; mostly they were migratory.
"There are other worlds than these."
The one thing of which Dan was sure was that there were no coincidences.
Life was a wheel, its only job was to turn, and it always came back to where it had started.

The now middle-aged Dan Torrance (the boy protagonist of The Shining) must save a very special twelve-year-old girl from a tribe of murderous paranormals.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,966,611 books! | Top bar: Always visible