Scrolling Forward: Making Sense of Documents…

Scrolling Forward: Making Sense of Documents in the Digital Age (edition 2003)

by David M. Levy

Member:agbram
Title:Scrolling Forward: Making Sense of Documents in the Digital Age
Authors:David M. Levy
Info:Arcade Publishing (2003), Paperback, 240 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:mlis, nonfiction, autographed,

Scrolling Forward: Making Sense of Documents in the Digital Age by David M. Levy

This book explores changes in written communications, now that the digital age is upon us. Levy first has a mediation on the uses of a simple retail store receipt to information only available on the computer or via the internet. Although the book was written ten years ago, it well worth reading today. David Levy can wax philosophical but nevers wallows in that space, keeping grounded in the reality of how we have changed over the years. The word document has a far wider meaning now that computer files are called documents, some change from the day when every document seemed official, if not officious. Levy has spent some years doing calligraphy, so understands the physicality of the book and of writing itself with specialized instruments. ( )
  vpfluke | Feb 17, 2011 |
A highly accessible overview of the changing meaning of texts. The author engages in a wide-ranging discussion of cash register receipts, printed books, postcards, digital documents, and business technology in an attempt to create a framework for understanding how to read, enjoy, profit from, and preserve written knowledge when that knowledge is increasingly manifested solely in bits and bytes. He brings to the discussion his background as computer scientist, calligrapher, and reader, and since he's not a librarian, there's no library-jargon. He has an abiding concern with libraries, however, and with their mission and future. A bonus for me: he includes an interesting discussion of a book about digital libraries by my former professor, Fran Miksa. ( )
  karenmerguerian | Aug 7, 2008 |
Not an especially deep book, but it had its moments. His concept of 'Documentation' is essentially what I've been trying to capture in my book on 'Information', being that stuff that is captured.

Good material on publishing industry providing a vettin ( )
  jaygheiser | Jul 23, 2008 |
Why should i wish to see God better than this day?
I see something of God each hour of the twenty-four, and each moment then,
In the faces of men and women I see God,
and in my own face in the glass,
I find letter from God dropt in the street,
and every one is sign'd by God's name,
And I leave them wheresoe'er I go,
Others will punctually come for ever and ever.
—Walt Whitman, "Song of Myself"
as reproduced in the Peter Pauper edition of Leaves of Grass
For Zari
Toward the beginning of of Woody Allen's 1977 movie Anni Hall, little Woody (called Alvy in the movie) is sitting in the doctor's office with his mother.

We are surrounded by documents of all kinds, from receipts to letters, business memos to books, yet we rarely stop to reflect on their significance. Now, in this period of digital transition, our written forms as well as out reading and writing habits are being questioned and transformed by new technologies ad practices. What is the future of the book? Is paper about to disappear? With the Internet and World Wide Web, what will happen to libraries, copyright and education? Starting with a simple deli lunch receipt, SCROLLING FORWARD examines documents of all kinds from the perspectives of culture, history, and technology in order to show how they can work and what they say about us and the values we carry into the new age.… (more)

Arcade Publishing

2 editions of this book were published by Arcade Publishing.

Editions: 161145221X, 1628723270

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,009,316 books! | Top bar: Always visible