Gun Machine by Warren Ellis

Gun Machine (edition 2013)

by Warren Ellis

Member:collingsruth
Title:Gun Machine
Authors:Warren Ellis
Info:Mulholland Books (2013)
Collections:Hampton, Your library (inactive)
Rating:*****
Tags:crime, New York City, history

Gun Machine by Warren Ellis

Love is the Law by Nick Mamatas (Longshanks)
    Longshanks: An unconventional detective story with a dry, perceptive sense of humor.

English (29)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (32)
A book full of action that is a quick read to boot! Nice, strong characters, like The Hunter, Detective John Tallow, and CSU agents, Bat and Scarly. The story is that three men turn a crazy killer on the loose in Manhattan, but the killer views it as both the modern Manhattan, and the older Mannahatta. And, the killer likes to keep the guns too - one gun for one kill that he carries out. When Detective Tallow accidentally stumbles upon the weapons cache in apartment 3A, arranged in a wampum pattern, all heck breaks loose! Fast and furious, the chase between Tallow and The Hunter burns up the pages right until the end! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jan 22, 2016 |
Serial killer in New York ( )
  mgriel | Jan 18, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book. It has good pacing and interesting ideas. I've read some of Warren Ellis' comic book works so I was familiar with his pacing. The only thing is since I am familiar with his work I couldn't help but notice something about the main characters. After I finished the book I thought about how this compares to his previous comics work. I realized that Tallow, Scarly and Bat were very similar to the main characters in Planetary. Snow, Jakita Wagner, and the Drummer seem to be the faces that I had in my mind when thinking about the characters in this book. The Lieutenant seemed very Jenny Sparks like. And the antagonist had some Spider Jerusalem elements to him. I don't mind any of this as I think Planetary is the best comic series since Watchman. Better than Watchman in some ways. But still it's something to keep in mind should you want to read his comics works. ( )
  Kurt.Rocourt | May 22, 2015 |
I bought this novel without reading anything about it, simply because it was written by Warren Ellis. I was not disappointed. ( )
  FourOfFiveWits | Feb 23, 2015 |
Gun Machine has an awesome premise; an NYPD detective stumbles upon a bizarre apartments lined with guns from floor to ceiling, arranged in intricate patterns. Each gun is not only linked to a famous murder, the entire collection also seems to correspond to a seemingly unrelated homicide from the past 20 years. When the entire case is dumped on his shoulders, Tallow finds himself tracking a killer who may have connections to the most powerful people in New York City.

Unfortunately, the actual story ends up seeming smaller than initial premise suggests. While the initial set up suggests something much larger and possibly supernatural, the actual solution to the case is smaller and more mundane. The guns and their overall meaning is more incidental to the conspiracy backing the killer.

While the killer ultimately remains an enigma, his identity is never a mystery. The story is instead more of a cat and mouse game, where Tallow and two eccentric CSU officers must ultimately outwit not only the murderer but his wealthy and powerful connections. It’s definitely enjoyable, and I’m glad I read it, but I still came out a bit disappointed. ( )
  lisally | Feb 15, 2015 |
For Ariana and Molly and Lydia and Angela and Niki and Lili
On playing back 911 recording, it'd seem that Mrs. Stegman was more concerned that the man outside her apartment door was naked than that he had a big shotgun.
This, he knew, was what he'd been avoiding. Seeing other people live lives. Something as mundane and utterly dull and ubiquitous in the world as watching one person cook for a loved one was crushing his heart in its plain little fist.
In my own defense, I was completely insane.

After losing his partner in a shootout, Detective John Tallow discovers an apartment filled with guns that were each used in an unsolved murder stretching back over twenty years.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Gun Machine by Warren Ellis was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,875,106 books! | Top bar: Always visible