Gun Machine by Warren Ellis

Gun Machine (edition 2013)

by Warren Ellis

Title:Gun Machine
Authors:Warren Ellis
Info:Mulholland Books (2013), Hardcover, 320 pages
Tags:Fiction, Crime Fiction, Serial Killer, English Literature, England, New York, 2013

Gun Machine by Warren Ellis

Love is the Law by Nick Mamatas (Longshanks)
    Longshanks: An unconventional detective story with a dry, perceptive sense of humor.

English (30)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (33)
This is one of the grittyiest, graphic crime novels I've read in a long time. It sets the tone almost from teh opening sentence. Detective John Tallow and his partner are responding to a disturbance in a tenement building that leads to a violent exchange of gunfire that leaves his partner and the criminal dead on the stairs. A hole in the wall from a stray bullet leads the police into a whole different kettle of fish. They find a highly secured apartment that is covered floor to ceiling with guns (lots of guns). Tallow and a CSI tem starts to research the trove and find that each gun was used in an unsolved murder. There are blanks in the mosaic, which means the killer isn't done yet.

The story style jumps points of view between Tallow, as he discovers a conspiracy that that threatens to undo his investigation, to the killer (only known as The Hunter) on the trail of his snext kill. Its graphic and it has an almost paranormal feel that kept engaged to see where the story was going to go. One thing that Ellis did that was interesting and different, was that every time Tallow was in his car, he turned on the police radio and we got to "hear" snippets of radio chatter about the most extreme crimes that were being reported throughout the city. It was almost like he had a file of all these wild, crazy scenarios that he wanted to get into the novel somehow. Pretty interesting technique that gave me the sense of a larger world that Tallow and his story were just running thru.

All in all, a very "enjoyable" story.

"The Hunter had time to kill. He was experiencing a thing that he'd come to think of as the exhaustion of revulsion"

S: 8/24/16 - F: 8/28/16 (5 Days) ( )
1 vote mahsdad | Sep 8, 2016 |
This was a fun quick read but I felt it would make a better movie than book ( )
  Hassanchop | Jul 4, 2016 |
A book full of action that is a quick read to boot! Nice, strong characters, like The Hunter, Detective John Tallow, and CSU agents, Bat and Scarly. The story is that three men turn a crazy killer on the loose in Manhattan, but the killer views it as both the modern Manhattan, and the older Mannahatta. And, the killer likes to keep the guns too - one gun for one kill that he carries out. When Detective Tallow accidentally stumbles upon the weapons cache in apartment 3A, arranged in a wampum pattern, all heck breaks loose! Fast and furious, the chase between Tallow and The Hunter burns up the pages right until the end! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jan 22, 2016 |
Serial killer in New York ( )
  mgriel | Jan 18, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book. It has good pacing and interesting ideas. I've read some of Warren Ellis' comic book works so I was familiar with his pacing. The only thing is since I am familiar with his work I couldn't help but notice something about the main characters. After I finished the book I thought about how this compares to his previous comics work. I realized that Tallow, Scarly and Bat were very similar to the main characters in Planetary. Snow, Jakita Wagner, and the Drummer seem to be the faces that I had in my mind when thinking about the characters in this book. The Lieutenant seemed very Jenny Sparks like. And the antagonist had some Spider Jerusalem elements to him. I don't mind any of this as I think Planetary is the best comic series since Watchman. Better than Watchman in some ways. But still it's something to keep in mind should you want to read his comics works. ( )
  Kurt.Rocourt | May 22, 2015 |
For Ariana and Molly and Lydia and Angela and Niki and Lili
On playing back 911 recording, it'd seem that Mrs. Stegman was more concerned that the man outside her apartment door was naked than that he had a big shotgun.
This, he knew, was what he'd been avoiding. Seeing other people live lives. Something as mundane and utterly dull and ubiquitous in the world as watching one person cook for a loved one was crushing his heart in its plain little fist.
In my own defense, I was completely insane.

After losing his partner in a shootout, Detective John Tallow discovers an apartment filled with guns that were each used in an unsolved murder stretching back over twenty years.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Gun Machine by Warren Ellis was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,758,979 books! | Top bar: Always visible