Splintered by A. G. Howard

Info:Amulet Books (2013), Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:*****

Splintered by A. G. Howard

English (121)  Swedish (1)  All (122)
This book was about a girl named Alyssa, who's great great grandmother was Alice from "Alice in wonderland", and people made fun of her for that. Then one day, she started hearing voices from bugs and plants. She didn't want to tell anyone because she didn't want to end up like her mother, who is in the asylum. Then when she went to visit her mother, Alyssa found out that her family was cursed by Alice, and has to go to wonderland to fix Alice's mistakes. Alyssa also brought her real word crush, Jeb, into wonderland by mistake. But together, they faced challenges and found the wise one, Morpheus (who was Alyssa's childhood friend), who helped Alyssa and Jeb on the mission. Alyssa then figured out that Morpheus wanted her queen. When Morpheus was about to crown her queen, Red comes, the queen who cursed her family. Alyssa then defeats Red, and both Alyssa and Jeb return to the human realm, while Morpheus stays in wonderland.
I thought this book was very clever and interesting. I couldn't put it down because I wanted to see what was going to happen next.I would highly recommend this book for kids who like a book that's adventurous. This book would really catch their interest as much as it did to me. This book was very creative with the characters and plot. It also changed how I see wonderland. There was so much stuff going on in this book, that I can't fit everything on this page. ( )
  AmandaU.B4 | Mar 25, 2017 |
Notes:

1. The actor who played in 'The Crow' movie in the poster at the store where Alyssa works was Brandon Lee, son of famed martial arts movie star Bruce Lee. I remember when I read that he was killed by a blank bullet during the filming. It was a shock to realized that was long enough ago for a high school student to think of him as a story she vaguely knows.

2. 'Jabberwocky,' the poem with the verse about the mome raths, is not in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, but its sequel, Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There.

3. You may see a picture of the boy and sundial statue here: http://www.sundials.co.uk/~thames.htm ( )
  JalenV | Feb 10, 2017 |
I quite liked this version of Alice in Wonderland. I thought it was unique and interesting. ( )
  MinDea | Jan 25, 2017 |
Such a fascinating take on Wonderland...because what is madness but dark, twisted, and instinctual? ( )
  KendraJ. | Dec 29, 2016 |
33/2014 ( )
  moonlight_reads | Dec 11, 2016 |

A. G. Howardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gibel, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Middleton, Maria T.Designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Suellen, NatháliaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

A descendant of the inspiration for Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, sixteen-year-old Alyssa Gardner fears she is mentally ill like her mother until she finds that Wonderland is real and, if she passes a series of tests to fix Alice's mistakes, she may save her family from their curse.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,283,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible