Splintered by A. G. Howard

Info:
Collections:Read
Rating:*****

Splintered by A. G. Howard

Recently added bydchaves, private library, Pigletto, kbarber, trishaj, slothybooks, arena50, strongasanoak

English (89)  Swedish (1)  All languages (90)
Splintered is a vivid re-imagining of the Lewis Carroll classic Alice in Wonderland. Mixed with modern YA fantasy and a young girl's determination to break free from her family's (seeming) insanity. Alyssa ventures into Wonderland (a much darker Wonderland than in the original tale) in an attempt to save her mother (who has been institutionalized for years) and break a family curse that dooms the women in her family to madness and premature death. A compelling tale, one that (I daresay) I enjoyed more than the original Alice in Wonderland. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Sep 14, 2014 |
Splintered is based upon real life Alice Liddell's story as created by Lewis Carroll. Little Alice pictured here.

The females in her line all are inheriting madness. They here bugs and plants talking. Refuse to eat off of plates (teacups please). Until we come across Alyssa-she does not want to end up in the mental hospital and will venture down the rabbit's hole in order to stop it.

This author did an amazing job on bringing a fairy tale to life. Creepy and so very easy pictured in your mind, Wonderland comes to glorious life in the book.
Splintered vs the Disney version is more like this:

OH and Morpheus...yes I do want you. ( )
  bookqueenshelby | Sep 9, 2014 |
This is not a book I would normally pick. I saw a review written of this book in a magazine and decided to read it myself. I'm glad I did! It only took me 2 days to read this book! I could not put it down! A twisted take on the Alice in Wonderland story that we are so familiar with, Splintered is an absolute breath of fresh air!! I thoroughly enjoyed this book from cover to cover! ( )
  sadiekaycarver | Sep 4, 2014 |
For those who like retold fairy tales, this is a great read. It takes Alice in Wonderland and turns in on its head, along with adding a great dark side to the story. And I love the cover. Awesomeness all over the place. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Review from Elysian Fields Book Reviews.
4.3 out of 5 stars
By A.G. Howard
Book 1: Splintered ~ Book 2: Unhinged ~ Book 3: Ensnared (TBR)
The series had me from the very first chapter thinking numerous times, "what the hell is going on here and why is this girl talking to bugs"? Alyssa believes herself to be insane, a 17 year old girl that can hear the whispers of bugs and flowers. Her own mother resides in an institution for the same disability, and in her heart, Alyssa knows that she will end up there eventually as well. It seems this is the curse of the women in her family, following the line back to her ancestor, Alice Liddell that inspired the original Alice in Wonderland novel. But for now, Alyssa is keeping it together. Until her mother's mental stability suddenly declines, and the only option is electroshock therapy. She is forced to come to terms with her illness and dive into the rabbit hole. Literally. With her best friend and the love of her life, Jeb at her side, Alyssa discovers the secret and not so wonderful world of Wonderland. Seriously. The real Wonderland is far more dark and twisted than the carefree world Carroll's original book portrays it to be. Upon reuniting with her long last childhood friend, Morpheus- who ends up being the hookah smoking caterpillar, Alyssa must pass a number of tests to have the family curse of insanity removed. The only way to help her mother is to set out on a crazy, danger filled trek through the depths of this terrifying world. From draining an ocean of Alice's tears, to waking the Mad Hatter from his slumber and defeating a rabid bandersnatch- can Alyssa fix Alice's mistakes and free her family?

Mad. That is my first thought upon reading the first two books in this series. Reading felt similar to eating a few too many mushrooms and getting lost in the forest. This is one of the most twisted stories that I've had the pleasure of reading, so thank you A.G. Howard. A modernized version of Alice in Wonderland, with far more romance and creep factors going on throughout the story. I can't recommend this series enough, even if you weren't a fan of the original. The writing is almost lyrical and very polished. The characters are well written, and almost take on a life of their own. Alyssa tends to be a bit on the whiny side at the start of her adventure, but definitely grows into her role by the end of Splintered. Jeb is a selfless, and may I add, sexy grungy character that is deeply in love with Alyssa. Morpheus.. ah, Morpheus. The author compares him to Brandon Lee in The Crow but I cannot help but picture him as Johnny Depp in the Alice movie. He is wonderfully written- gentle yet powerful, mad yet perfectly sane in his logic. I don't want to give everything away because honestly, this is a must read for every urban fantasy nerd out there! The final installment in this series, Ensnared is set to release in the States in January 2015. ( )
  MorrighanRose | Aug 10, 2014 |

A descendant of the inspiration for Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, sixteen-year-old Alyssa Gardner fears she is mentally ill like her mother until she finds that Wonderland is real and, if she passes a series of tests to fix Alice's mistakes, she may save her family from their curse.… (more)

43 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,354,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible