Splintered by A. G. Howard

Info:Amulet Books (2013), Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:*****

Splintered by A. G. Howard

English (96)  Swedish (1)  All languages (97)
I had mixed feeling going into this. I have been curious about it for some time but the feedback I kept hearing was very mixed. I ended up on the side to enjoy this twisted retelling, as additional telling to the story of Alice in Wonderland.

We should, by now, all know the story of Alice in Wonderland (if you do not go read the book or watch one of the many renditions of the movie). What we do not know is how some of the points are a bit...skewed, to say the least. There is no White Rabbit. There is a Rabid White. Yes, I said Rabid..you know the crazy, foaming at the mouth, don't let it bite you... Yep. and that is only the beginning as Alyssa finds herself traveling further into Wonderland.

She goes there to save her mother from a curse of madness laid upon their family. She is the descendant of the original Alice and her childhood friend Morpheus has beckoned her to his world. Her friend, and romantic interest, Jeb travels after her.

It was quick to see Alyssa is going to have guy trouble. On one hand we have Jeb. He is sweet, friend to the family and all around good guy. However he is also possessive and has a girlfriend even though he wants Alyssa more. Then there is Morpheus. Hot mothman of wonderland, childhood playmate of her dreams. He is the enigma of this book. And, like Alyssa, my feelings toward him are of hate and love. To understand this you will have to read the story. Regardless, he is a very interesting character and I cannot wait to read more about him in the next book.

Alyssa must set right the wrongs of the original Alice to save her mother. She meets many wild, crazy characters. if you thought the original story was wacky, you have read nothing yet.

At times this book read a bit slow and at others a bit fast but the adventure was fascinating! AG Howard has a unique voice and I have never read things described in a similar manner to how she pulls things off. A couple of my favorite short descriptions she has are:

"We turn to find Morpheus standing there with enough rage to send the Devil packing for heaven."

"I feel lost yet strangely at home, like a flea who has taken up residence on a zebra."

Some amusing, others bizarre, but they are all entertaining.

Last thing to discuss is the cover. This is what first drew me to the book. I love it. And when I took it off the hardback copy I have I found a lovely surprise! this inside is etched beautifully too in a title design! So either way, it is appealing to look at.

Overall I am pleased with this first book. While not the greatest writing in a literary sense, the story is twisted an draws you into the madness of it all. I am eager to read book two very soon. ( )
  jljaina | May 16, 2015 |
Splintered was one of my favorite reads of 2013. It was just so exciting and wondrous. Howard is an extremely talented writer and has captured the world of Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland in a way that I hadn't thought possible. I feel like I could check off all of the things that I need in a novel- background story, exciting/complicated plot, visuals, likable & hate-able characters, engaging writing style, realistic dialogue, and so on. I really hope Howard writes more books with the same integrity.

Howard's Wonderland:
I feel like if I were to walk into a Hot Topic store and it changed into an Alice in Wonderland paradise, it would be how I imagined the Splintered universe. With skater/grunge appeal and over the top dark clothing and the zombie netherling flowers... it is not a stretch of imagination. It's as if Plants vs Zombies cracked out all over the shop.

Before reading this I hadn't come across a book where I wasn't constantly finding plot-holes or asking major questions about the story since I read Libba Bray's Gemma Doyle trilogy or Allie Condie's Matched trilogy. (For the most part of the series, *cough* Reached *cough*) I was left feeling bitter for wasting my time with Lewis Caroll's originals right before I started Splintered. But I was so sucked into Splintered that I felt completely glad I did. The comparisons were great. Howard embellished pretty much every scene from those books.

The story & characters:
Splintered is a wildly entertaining re-telling of Lewis Caroll's Adventures of Alice in Wonderland. Alyssa is a 17-year old girl who is worried about facing mental issues like her mother and grandmother before her. She feels alone in her thoughts and has a unique ability to communicate with insects. As the story progresses we find out more about Alyssa; her relationship with her best friend Jeb, her mother's insanity, and where her obsession on her own mental health will take her in the future.

Alyssa was likable- she was intelligent and thoughtful. But her rash decisions sometimes got the better of her.

I hated Morpheus. I know there is a pretty sizable fan-base for him and Jeb, but I thought the romantic feelings for Morpheus were unnecessary. He is supposed to be the caterpillar from the original Alice's trip to Wonderland. To me, he doesn't seem like the real caterpillar at all. I didn't see the appeal behind their creepy relationship they shared in childhood. It could just be my hatred for moths. I at least tolerated him because he fit into the overall story. He follows her/visits her in the "real world" but attempts to keep his distance. I liked that he had a relationship with Alyssa but I thought the romantic feelings were disturbing.

I am patiently awaiting the arrival of the sequel, Unhinged from my local library! Not really! I am constantly checking their website... ahh!

It would be so great if Howard wrote another series based on a re-telling. Or anything for that matter. I really enjoyed her writing! (She does have a pretty epic collaboration coming up.) ( )
  theindigoshelf | Mar 22, 2015 |
Splintered is such an exciting and imaginative look into the dark side of Wonderland. The author has created this whole world that is so outrageous and so intriguing. In this first book of a planned trilogy Alyssa is trying to break the curse that has put a dark cloud over her family's existence. Raised by her Dad because her mother has what appear to be mental health issues, Alyssa is a quiet girl, with quirky interests and few friends. She has a crush on her longtime friend, neighbor and protector, Jeb but hasn't had the courage to act on her feelings. However, that all changes when Jeb ends up accompanying Alyssa to Wonderland to keep her safe. This book is amazing! I loved the chemistry between Jeb and Alyssa and hope they end up together. Looking forward to reading Unhinged! ( )
  68papyrus | Mar 9, 2015 |
So, here is my guilty confession. I basically requested this book on Netgalley because of the cover. Yep, I can occasionally be "one of those people." But, really, look at it? Do you see the awesome artwork there? It is absolutely gorgeous. Now, sometimes, this practice will let me down. Sometimes there will be an amazingly beautiful cover, but a very poorly written book. That was not the case here. For Splintered, my only regret is that I don't have a paper copy so that I can sit and stare at the cover all day, and then pass it on to a lady who would probably love the book, but is legally blind so needs a paper copy and a magnifier to read.

I really enjoyed the spin on the classic tale of "Alice in Wonderland," having grown up with the traditional story. I am finding that I really enjoy when someone takes a classic and puts a bit of a spin on it (unless it is Shakespeare; you really shouldn't mess with the man).

I found this story heartbreaking at some points and exhilarating at others, keeping you on your toes and making your mind work through things as you read, trying to figure out what is to come only to be left shocked and awed because you were not even close!

Alyssa's circumstances and life situations are instantly relatable at least on some level to every reader. Everyone has that ONE family member that you really just don't talk about. From the author's descriptions, you find yourself drawn to Jeb, ever the knight in shining armor, but with the hint of the bad boy on the surface.

I found myself unable to walk away from the story, setting aside other reading obligations to be able to finish the story because I had to know what happened. I was not disappointed.

I did feel, however, that the way the story ended left it open for a sequel and I harbor the secret hope that the author will write more, but I also recognize that the fantastical elements just probably would not be the same, so I suppose I won't be too upset if the story ends here. I feel that we are going to see great things from A.G. Howard, and cannot wait to see what this thrilling debut author has up their sleeves next! ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

A descendant of the inspiration for Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, sixteen-year-old Alyssa Gardner fears she is mentally ill like her mother until she finds that Wonderland is real and, if she passes a series of tests to fix Alice's mistakes, she may save her family from their curse.… (more)

43 wanted1 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,174,866 books! | Top bar: Always visible