Splintered by A. G. Howard

Info:Amulet Books (2013), Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:*****

Splintered by A. G. Howard

Recently added byMags_Standi, gilmore, private library, Kaitlin_Michelle, Danny10, AnnRushing, MABoone, MCHBurke

English (80)  Swedish (1)  All languages (81)
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is one of my favourite works of literature. And I love most movies and books based on these books. And, this is the first one that left me thinking, "This might be more creative than the original on which it's based". Though there are instances where it delves a bit too much into teenaged romance, that's more my taste than the fault of the author. ( )
  Mags_Standi | Jul 19, 2014 |
Plot: 3 1/2 stars
Characters: 3 stars
Style: 3 stars
Pace: 3 stars

I'm a bit of a sucker for Alice in Wonderland twists. It'd been on my TBR list for a while, but hadn't really grabbed my attention again until it showed up on the GoodReads Choice lists. I figured, if others think it's that fantastic, I might as well give it a shot. It wasn't bad, don't get me wrong, but I've read better. The descriptions were uneven, and while I like the darker tones carried throughout, it felt rather flat, like it was going for shock value more than anything else. I was left with a feeling that the author saw the Johnny Depp version of Alice in Wonderland, possibly watched clips of the old animated disney version on youtube, and then threw it in a blender with Ya Fantasy Tropes 101. It left me underwhelmed, ultimately. ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Jun 22, 2014 |

My review can be found ^^^^^

Absolutely loved this book! ( )
  Courtney_Chance | Jun 19, 2014 |

My review can be found ^^^^^

Absolutely loved this book! ( )
  Courtney_Chance | Jun 19, 2014 |
The book is dark....deliciously dark. Howard's modern twisted take on Carroll's Alice in Wonderland is stunningly done. Alyssa is a teenage girl who can hear the voices of flowers and bugs. As she struggles to overpower the Liddell's family curse (she is a descendant of the original Alice), Alyssa falls down the rabbit hole and must pass a series of tests to escape Wonderland and rid the Liddell's curse from her family once and for all.

The details to the original story as well as to the setting of Wonderland is so evocative that the place almost seems real. You can feel the fear Alyssa feels when she is trapped by the bandersnatch and the delight of finding the rabbit hole. This novel will inspire readers to read the original story again to compare the adaptations.

Like I mentioned, the story is dark. I would not recommend this for teens 13 and younger. ( )
  sushiroll | May 30, 2014 |

A descendant of the inspiration for Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, sixteen-year-old Alyssa Gardner fears she is mentally ill like her mother until she finds that Wonderland is real and, if she passes a series of tests to fix Alice's mistakes, she may save her family from their curse.… (more)

43 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,495,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible