Splintered by A. G. Howard

Info:Amulet Books (2013), Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:*****

Splintered by A. G. Howard

English (110)  Swedish (1)  All languages (111)
When I was a little girl I was always very scared to watch Alice In Wonderland, it was always my least favorite fairy tale. Only because I thought it was so scary. Maybe I was too young to appreciate the beauty and the meaning behind the story. Although, to this day I never forgot how creepy it was to me that I'm still a little gun shy at watching or reading the original or anything close to the original story.

Splintered should have been my chance to embrace the story of Alice as a grown up reminiscing, to experience this retelling with the fear of a little girl scared out of her wits. Unfortunately things did not go as I had hoped. I did not connect with this story and the characters at all, I found myself wishing to be creeped out of my mind. I just wanted to feel something for a memorable story from my childhood, even though those memories might not have been so fond.

Certainly Splintered was very well written, the writing was imaginative, fantastical, and very colorful but for me that's where the best thing about this book ends. I struggled to get through this book, I just couldn't connect with it and it's characters.

There is a negative with continuing to read a book your not liking very much as well as a positive. The positive was ever so often and very rarely but briefly, I did crack a smile or got hastily excited that maybe the story was taking a turn for the better, alas that was not so, it was short lived. And the negatives were that I started to dislike the characters more and more. At first I thought they're not so bad, but then the more I'm with them the more unlikable traits I see in them. I thought Jeb's character was very flat and didn't have any depth to him. It was like he just existed to be Alyssa's long time secret love. And Alyssa was too unresolved and too indecisive on her feelings for Morpheus. Speaking of Morpheus, I thought he would have been the one to make the story more interesting and he did at times but he made me second guess myself too much that I was over him pretty quickly.

All that being said I thought the cover was beautiful so I splurged for the hardback. It was almost a year since it was released so when the second book was available I decided to continue the collection; since the cover was equally as beautiful. So now I'm hoping that maybe the story will take a path that it more captivating than it's predecessor.

While an eloquently written story, Splintered left me unsatisfied, and disappointed. I was hoping to be spirited away to a magical, yet scary place that the kid in me wanted to revisit with the older me as a guide and come out with a newer appreciation for a well loved and popular fairy tale. Personally, I didn't get that from this book. ( )
  GigisIrieReads | Apr 20, 2016 |
This is going to be short but I think this information needs to be out there for future readers: there isn't a single healthy relationship in this entire book. This book will probably appeal to high school readers (I'm bad at guessing reading ages), and I know I would have loved it as a teenager, but it's so incredibly unhealthy for anyone to view these relationships as attractive or desirable. As examples, the father views Alyssa as her mother in miniature (e.g. won't let her change her hair because it looks like her mother) and borders on an obsession with the mother; Jeb, a love interest, is possessive with violent undertones; and Morpheus, another love interest, is manipulative, both emotionally and psychologically. Plus, the author's focus on describing (in excessive detail) outfits that could best be described as goth punk circa 2006 is strange to someone who grew up in that style era and can't understand a grown woman being attracted to it.

I loved the concept of this book, I really did - it's fascinating and twisted - but the characters' relationships should come with trigger warnings and an prologue about healthy relationships. ( )
  fields.steph | Apr 12, 2016 |
Books that put a twist on stories I grew up with always catch my eye and this one did not disappoint! I love Morpheus and find his character to be mischievous, naughty, enticing... everything I'd want my netherling boyfriend to be! ( )
  AmberKirbey | Mar 11, 2016 |
I've read a few Alice re-writes, and haven't really liked most of them, but this one was done in a really fun, fresh way. It kept the darker side of the story pretty dark, in fact some of it was downright creepy. I thought it was well told and respectful to the original story. It's not often I say something like that. ( )
  novaengliae | Dec 20, 2015 |
The cover of this book grabbed me even before I read the title and the blurb. I have never read the full version of Alice in Wonderland so I wasn't sure whether I would get on with the plot but I found myself sucked into Wonderland within the first couple of chapters.
Can't say I loved the main characters but the descriptions of all the characters were so fabulously detailed I had my imagination stretched to breaking point. It was dark and twisty, just the way I like a book to be.
The storyline had twists and turns that you could only expect from a book surrounding Alice in Wonderland and yet, it took the whole story to another layer.
I hope that this book will only be a one off as it is a gem and should be embraced as such. I am now off to read the full edition of Alice in Wonderland and hope it is as good... ( )
  SineadB | Dec 7, 2015 |

A descendant of the inspiration for Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, sixteen-year-old Alyssa Gardner fears she is mentally ill like her mother until she finds that Wonderland is real and, if she passes a series of tests to fix Alice's mistakes, she may save her family from their curse.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,256,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible