Splintered by A. G. Howard

Info:Amulet Books (2013), Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:*****

Splintered by A. G. Howard

English (116)  Swedish (1)  All languages (117)
Not a fan. I do not think , because of the one line reference to a possible sequel, that I will bother with the next book. I will recommend this for my girlie girls but but the BAD aSS Tough girls in my classroom ( )
  MrNattania | Sep 5, 2016 |
  JeffreyNattania | Aug 29, 2016 |
Wanted to love it, but I just really didn't. ( )
  KnivesBoone | Jul 29, 2016 |

“For that is the essence of a soul. Hopes and dreams and love.”

Even though I'm not a fan of the original book, I have to say there's something charming about the old story of Alice in Wonderland. It's fantasy and fairy-tale to its fullest, a timeless story that has influenced much and will continue to live on through retellings. Splintered in the first in a series that brings the story of Alice to modern day, but instead the point of view is through her great-grandmother. The characters have been transformed and even further into the fantasy world - gone are the childlike tropes of the cute bunny to follow, the weird caterpillar to communicate with, the maddening tea parties. Now we get creatures to chase and eat alive, the caterpillar is handsome and sensual, and the bunny - well, let's just say this thing has gone all creepy.

Imaginative and colorful, Splintered tells the story of Alyssa as she ends up succumbing to temptation by going into the wonder glass to save her mother from electric shock therapy. Yes, really. See, the mother has been touched by the curse of Alice and sees what she shouldn't, swapping her sanity to save her only daughter. Now it's Alyssa's turn.

Characters are fun - Alyssa isn't your typical child. She's a teen with a crush and overprotective father, but she enjoys art with dead bug corpses, can hear insects and flowers speak, and spends her week visiting mom in an asylum and wondering what's real or fantasy for her now that evil puberty has struck. I thought I changed a lot when puberty hit, but she makes me experience seem like a walk in the park.

I like her our-world crush, he's charming and carries over that friendly boy next door vibe. I can't help but dig Morpheus either since he's that side of dark and tempting. There's a mini triangle brewing but it doesn't take from the story. The creatures they run into and fight are creative - loved the sea sponge scene (as disturbing as it was), the dinner scene was troubling, and the twist with the chest board? Wickedly twisted.

Even if the ending packs a whallop and some twists, I have to say the story loses me a few times because there's so much going on that's beyond me, accompanied by a fierce sense of urgency after she steps through the glass. It's rushed and the pacing is almost too fast to keep up with sometimes.

Overall it's a worthy read - action packed and fantasy filled, beautifully colorful and uniquely constructed, but sometimes the pacing makes me feel lost and a little emotion is removed for the sake of story speed.
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Great start to a series. Cant wait to see what happens in the rest.
  xuqt2006 | Jun 11, 2016 |

A descendant of the inspiration for Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, sixteen-year-old Alyssa Gardner fears she is mentally ill like her mother until she finds that Wonderland is real and, if she passes a series of tests to fix Alice's mistakes, she may save her family from their curse.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,149,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible