Splintered by A. G. Howard

Info:Amulet Books (2013), Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:*****

Splintered by A. G. Howard

English (99)  Swedish (1)  All languages (100)
An intriguing result of mixing modern YA themes and Lewis Carroll's Alice books, Adventures Underground and Through the Looking Glass. "Skate Girl" Alyssa is a strong character and at 16 she faces her YA challenges. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
Boricuan Bookworms- Book Reviews

I’m so glad I got the opportunity to read Splintered. This is such a wildly imaginative story.

A.G. Howard’s writing is captivating, haunting and evocative. You’re sucked in from the very beginning and won’t be able to stop until you’ve finished the whole book.

I think Alyssa was a wonderful main character. Weighed down by her family’s past, she’s constantly worried about going insane like her mother. Bugs talk to her, and moths constantly follow her around. How can she think she’s normal?

She hides behind her art, in the safety of her own room, even inside of her own mind. She even hides herself from Jeb, her best friend.

For the first time in forever, I actually enjoyed the idea of a love triangle.

We have two potential candidates:

Jeb & Morpheus.

Meanwhile, Morpheus is evil, wicked, treacherous, manipulative, and mean.

You would think that this triangle is easily solved, but it’s not. They both care immensely for Alyssa and Alyssa truly has feelings for both.

My personal choice is Morpheus.

Despite him being all these ugly traits, Morpheus stole my heart. I feel like Morpheus loved Alyssa more (in my honest opinion). Jeb always doubted Alyssa and assumed she couldn’t defend herself. Morpheus did not. Morpheus let her be herself, Jeb (albeit loving her), seemed to weigh her down.

Anyways, Rebecca Gibel is a wonderful narrator for this audiobook. She captures the whimsical nature of a Wonderland fairy, and the dark mysteriousness of Morpheus. I honestly cannot imagine Morpheus’s voice any other way. She describes the gruesome parts with a chilling voice, and portrays Alyssa as you would imagine her voice would be.

Rating: 4.5 stars ( )
  | Jul 1, 2015 | edit |

For the first time in forever, I actually enjoyed the idea of a love triangle.

We have two potential candidates:

Jeb & Morpheus.

Jeb is Alyssa’s knight in shining armor; always defending her, always trying to protect her. Meanwhile, Morpheus is evil, wicked, treacherous, manipulative, and mean.

My personal choice is Morpheus.

Overall, this gothic fairy tale is one you have to read. You’ll be wanting to read more of Morpheus um Alyssa’s story once you read the last page. ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jun 19, 2015 |
Good idea, horrible charters, I'm so done with this series that I have nothing to say. ( )
  E.A.Walsh | Jun 11, 2015 |
No-recomendado por Maru.

Me propongo leer de principio a fin libros considerados "malos". Mi intención es encontrar al menos UNA cualidad buena en ellos y reseñarlos objetivamente siguiendo 20 puntos a desarrollar brevemente. (Los puntos varían según el género del que se trate.)

Si tienen ganas de No-recomendarme otros libros
pueden comentar acá o ACÁ. ¡Cualquier género es bienvenido! Cuanto más variado, mejor :)
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |

A descendant of the inspiration for Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, sixteen-year-old Alyssa Gardner fears she is mentally ill like her mother until she finds that Wonderland is real and, if she passes a series of tests to fix Alice's mistakes, she may save her family from their curse.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,418,409 books! | Top bar: Always visible