Shadow Sight by E.J. Stevens

Shadow Sight (edition 2012)

by E.J. Stevens

Member:calicocat901
Title:Shadow Sight
Authors:E.J. Stevens
Info:Sacred Oaks Press (2012), Paperback, 242 pages
Rating:***

Shadow Sight by E. J. Stevens

I've read E.J. Stevens' Spirit Guide series and I really enjoyed it. I thought I would give this series a go.

Notes:

*I really liked the main characters voice.

*The narrative often segues off the narration though as the MC explains things like what a pooka is, a bit of history, or a tangent. It disrupts the flow and I wish that the explanations could have been handled differently. ( )
  Ayanami_Faerudo | May 16, 2016 |
Set in a northeastern port city, Harborsmouth, Ivy Granger, psychic detective, tackles the supernatural. Ivy has this little twitch – she can’t touch anything or anyone without having a vision, which entails reliving the strongest memories imprinted on that item or person. Along with her best friend Jinx, they set up a private eye business sometime ago. Now, the two are hired by a demon, Forneus, to solve the mystery of the many human livers found floating around the harbor.

This was a fast-paced and fun urban fantasy steeped in mythology. Ivy is in her mid-20s and has worked hard to do the best with what she has. She can see the fae in their numerous forms due to her fairy sight and she can use her psychometry to relive past events when she touches items or people (though she doesn’t really enjoy doing this). In fact, one of my few quibbles with the book is that it is beaten into the reader for perhaps half the book that Ivy does not like to touch people or things and we’re told why again and again. I was quite glad once the repetition on this point was over. Other than that, Ivy is a fun character to follow around on this adventure.

The plot itself involves tons of beings from myth, which is way cool. We have a Red Cap, a kitchen brownie, a witch or two, some trolls, vampires, several water folk (like the Kelpies), and plenty more. In this particular story, one set of baddies are the each uisge, which I had never heard of. So, there was entertainment and education going on, which is never a bad combination.

While Ivy and Jinx are figuring out the mystery, and then the solution to the mystery, Ivy keeps bumping into little hints about her past and her own nature. Now, here is my second tiny quibble – Ivy was so dense about these hints concerning herself that I kind of wanted to give her a little shake and spell it out on a big white board for her. While I can appreciate she was distracted with the big bad mystery, there were also decent periods of quiet and reflection and she didn’t connect the dots. I thought this was a little out of place for her personality, one that is skeptical and always questioning.

We have a lot of great characters populating the story. Marvin is a young troll that took a beating sometime in the past and Ivy makes sure he has a safe place to sleep. He also does some work for Kaye O’Shaye, a witch and Hunter that Ivy spends time with. I especially liked Hob, the witch’s kitchen brownie. He has a thing for shiny objects. Jinx, Ivy’s best friend and chief side kick, was OK. I think I need more time to bond with her. She is into shoes and hairstyles and flirting, which aren’t my things, but she makes an interesting counterpoint to Ivy.

The last hour of the book was pretty darn intense. The mystery started off with a missing Kelpie king (Ceffyr) and that comes full circle at the end. Ivy has to face some fears and do some trusting. Lots of different types of folks come together to face the main threat and many of them have different reasons to do so. It was a neatly woven web there at the end.

I received a copy of this audiobook at no cost from the author in exchange for an honest review (thanks!).

Narration: Traci Odom once again was a good voice for Ivy. She sounds like a woman who hides knives and fights for troll rights while staring down vampires. I like her girly voice for Jinx (I can picture the makeup and curls whenever she uses Jinx’s voice). She also has distinct and believable voices for all the male characters. I especially liked her supremely distressed voice for Ceffyr. She did mispronounce the word ‘chitin’ and its derivatives a handful of times, though I won’t hold this against her. ( )
  DabOfDarkness | Nov 15, 2015 |
Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy Reading Level: Adult

Disclosure: I received a free eBook ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review and to post in conjunction with her blog tour. There will be a giveaway on my blog starting Monday, 7/30/12.

Synopsis: Some things are best left unseen...

Ivy Granger's second sight is finally giving her life purpose. Ivy and her best friend Jinx may not be raking in the dough, but their psychic detective agency pays the bills--most of the time. Their only worry is the boredom of a slow day and the occasional crazy client – until a demon walks through their door.

Demons are never a good sign...

A demon attorney representing the water fae? Stranger things have happened. And things are about to get very, very strange as a bloodthirsty nightmare hunts the city of Harborsmouth.

There's blood in the water...

Kelpies have a reputation for eating humans. Unfortunately, Kelpies are the clients. When an Unseelie faerie this evil stalks the waterways of your city, you have to make hard choices.

The lesser of two evils...

My Thoughts: I’ve been interested in E.J. Stevens’ previous urban fantasy series for awhile, and jumped at the chance to read and review her latest. Ivy Granger has a distinct and amusing voice, and I laughed a lot while reading this book. In fact, Stevens gives each of her characters a unique and interesting voice, and reading this was a real treat. Additionally, there was a lot of terrific research done on the various fae that Stevens uses in this novel, which must have meant a great deal of reading of old fairy tales and lore and legends (and I’m so jealous, ‘cause I love reading stuff like that); it’s obvious she put a lot of effort into getting this stuff right.

As I mentioned, this book is very humorous, and I laughed like a loon, especially, at the meeting with the vampires (The Boss, Stinky, Dusty, and Shorty) and the pooka orgy. IN some place the humor is a bit wry, but this is a very entertaining start to what promises to be a highly enjoyable series.

The second book in this series, Ghost Light, is scheduled to come out next year. I know I’ll be watching for it. If you enjoy Urban Fantasies, and especially if you’re interested in the fae, you should definitely check out this book. Watch for a giveaway, starting Monday, 7/30/12, on my blog, Now is Gone, where you can win a copy of this book or other prizes! ( )
1 vote Katyas | Jul 1, 2013 |
This review is also posted at The Bawdy Book Blog.

Shadow Sight is a fun, quirky paranormal read that just leaves you wanting more (which is good, since there’s more coming!).

Ivy Granger isn’t an ordinary human; she’s been gifted (cursed?) with a second sight. When she touches people and objects, she sees pieces of their past, although usually with grand mal seizure-like episodes. She thinks that part sucks. Why can’t she just be normal?

But that doesn’t stop her from capitalizing on her gift/curse and opening a detective agency with her BFF Jinx, the world’s unluckiest chick. Enter the demon lawyer, Forneus. Forneus, in all his brimstone stench, has been hired by the Kelpies to find their King’s bridle, and subsequently, their King, who has been kidnapped. The fate of the town, and possibly mankind rests on this case and the only person who can really crack it – with some help from demons, fairies, and a juvenile troll – is Ivy. Just what she signed up for.

Shadow Sight is just a delightful and fun read. It’s quick to the punch-line and still maintains a level of seriousness – I mean, they really will die if they don’t find the Kelpie King – that is needed in a novel that has the Fae. And oh the Fae! E.J. Stevens doesn’t shy away from incorporating all kinds of magic into Shadow Sight, so there is something new to find on every page. Her descriptions of the different Fae species – and sometimes what they do to humans – is vivid and captivating.

And even though the general tone of the novel is somewhat somber – Ivy is on a life-saving mission, after all – Stevens still manages to inject a lot of lightheartedness and fun into the pages with her wit and humor. Ivy herself is fun to read, quick-witted and doesn’t take herself so seriously. She knows the situation she is in is so ridiculous, and she pokes fun at it – and herself – quite a bit. What else can you do, really? The rest of the cast is also an entertaining lot!

I really only had one very minor issue with Shadow Sight and when I say minor, I do mean teeny-tiny: there is mention of a spell being cast early on in the story by her witch friend Kaye, that is akin to the Holy Fire of legend. I didn’t know what that was (and I actually never did look it up, I kept on plugging along), so the significance was lost on me.

But overall, I really enjoyed Shadow Sight! Stevens is an incredible author with an arsenal of characters and great plot arcs, and she isn’t afraid to use them. I was incredibly and thoroughly entertained from beginning to end and I just can’t wait for the second one to come out. ( )
1 vote sunshinejenn03 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Welcome to Harborsmouth, where monsters walk the streets unseen by humans…except those with second sight.

Welcome to Harborsmouth, where monsters walk the streets
unseen by humans…except those with second sight, like Ivy Granger.

Some things are best left unseen...

Ivy Granger's second sight is finally giving her life purpose. Ivy and her best friend Jinx may not be raking in the dough, but their psychic detective agency pays the bills--most of the time. Their only worry is the boredom of a slow day and the occasional crazy client--until a demon walks through their door.

Demons are never a good sign...

There's blood in the water...

The lesser of two evils...

E. J. Stevens is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

8 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,002,411 books! | Top bar: Always visible