Shadow Sight by E.J. Stevens

Shadow Sight (edition 2012)

by E.J. Stevens

Info:Sacred Oaks Press (2012), Paperback, 242 pages
Rating:***

Shadow Sight by E. J. Stevens

Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy Reading Level: Adult

Disclosure: I received a free eBook ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review and to post in conjunction with her blog tour. There will be a giveaway on my blog starting Monday, 7/30/12.

Synopsis: Some things are best left unseen...

Ivy Granger's second sight is finally giving her life purpose. Ivy and her best friend Jinx may not be raking in the dough, but their psychic detective agency pays the bills--most of the time. Their only worry is the boredom of a slow day and the occasional crazy client – until a demon walks through their door.

Demons are never a good sign...

A demon attorney representing the water fae? Stranger things have happened. And things are about to get very, very strange as a bloodthirsty nightmare hunts the city of Harborsmouth.

There's blood in the water...

Kelpies have a reputation for eating humans. Unfortunately, Kelpies are the clients. When an Unseelie faerie this evil stalks the waterways of your city, you have to make hard choices.

The lesser of two evils...

My Thoughts: I’ve been interested in E.J. Stevens’ previous urban fantasy series for awhile, and jumped at the chance to read and review her latest. Ivy Granger has a distinct and amusing voice, and I laughed a lot while reading this book. In fact, Stevens gives each of her characters a unique and interesting voice, and reading this was a real treat. Additionally, there was a lot of terrific research done on the various fae that Stevens uses in this novel, which must have meant a great deal of reading of old fairy tales and lore and legends (and I’m so jealous, ‘cause I love reading stuff like that); it’s obvious she put a lot of effort into getting this stuff right.

As I mentioned, this book is very humorous, and I laughed like a loon, especially, at the meeting with the vampires (The Boss, Stinky, Dusty, and Shorty) and the pooka orgy. IN some place the humor is a bit wry, but this is a very entertaining start to what promises to be a highly enjoyable series.

The second book in this series, Ghost Light, is scheduled to come out next year. I know I’ll be watching for it. If you enjoy Urban Fantasies, and especially if you’re interested in the fae, you should definitely check out this book. Watch for a giveaway, starting Monday, 7/30/12, on my blog, Now is Gone, where you can win a copy of this book or other prizes! ( )
  Katyas | Jul 1, 2013 |
This review is also posted at The Bawdy Book Blog.

Shadow Sight is a fun, quirky paranormal read that just leaves you wanting more (which is good, since there’s more coming!).

Ivy Granger isn’t an ordinary human; she’s been gifted (cursed?) with a second sight. When she touches people and objects, she sees pieces of their past, although usually with grand mal seizure-like episodes. She thinks that part sucks. Why can’t she just be normal?

But that doesn’t stop her from capitalizing on her gift/curse and opening a detective agency with her BFF Jinx, the world’s unluckiest chick. Enter the demon lawyer, Forneus. Forneus, in all his brimstone stench, has been hired by the Kelpies to find their King’s bridle, and subsequently, their King, who has been kidnapped. The fate of the town, and possibly mankind rests on this case and the only person who can really crack it – with some help from demons, fairies, and a juvenile troll – is Ivy. Just what she signed up for.

Shadow Sight is just a delightful and fun read. It’s quick to the punch-line and still maintains a level of seriousness – I mean, they really will die if they don’t find the Kelpie King – that is needed in a novel that has the Fae. And oh the Fae! E.J. Stevens doesn’t shy away from incorporating all kinds of magic into Shadow Sight, so there is something new to find on every page. Her descriptions of the different Fae species – and sometimes what they do to humans – is vivid and captivating.

And even though the general tone of the novel is somewhat somber – Ivy is on a life-saving mission, after all – Stevens still manages to inject a lot of lightheartedness and fun into the pages with her wit and humor. Ivy herself is fun to read, quick-witted and doesn’t take herself so seriously. She knows the situation she is in is so ridiculous, and she pokes fun at it – and herself – quite a bit. What else can you do, really? The rest of the cast is also an entertaining lot!

I really only had one very minor issue with Shadow Sight and when I say minor, I do mean teeny-tiny: there is mention of a spell being cast early on in the story by her witch friend Kaye, that is akin to the Holy Fire of legend. I didn’t know what that was (and I actually never did look it up, I kept on plugging along), so the significance was lost on me.

But overall, I really enjoyed Shadow Sight! Stevens is an incredible author with an arsenal of characters and great plot arcs, and she isn’t afraid to use them. I was incredibly and thoroughly entertained from beginning to end and I just can’t wait for the second one to come out. ( )
1 vote sunshinejenn03 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Originally published on my blog, My Urban Fantasies

This was my first E.J. Stevens novel and... WOW. She is the perfect combination of Kim Harrison and Jim Butcher, which is huge considering they are two of my favorite authors. Harborsmouth is filled with a plethora of supernatural characters. There is a psychic, demon, witch, kelpies, pixies, merrow, ghouls, and mermaids to name a few. I was amazed how she managed to squeeze in a unicorn, not typically found in a city, simply brilliant! E.J. Stevens introduced each new supernatural species by giving a brief description about who/what they are. Stevens handled the descriptions beautifully, they very character involved, short and never felt like a lecture. I'm so happy Shadow Sight is part of a series. I am eagerly and somewhat impatiently waiting to read more of the Ivy Granger series.

Ivy Granger is a psychic detective gifted with Psychometry, the ability to receive visions of past events by touching an object or person. This nasty "gift" will leave Ivy screaming in a puddle of drool until her vision is over, which could take hours. With the help of Jinx, her best friend and business partner, Ivy has learned to live with her power.

In Shadow Sight Ivy is forced into taking a meeting with a potential new client, a demon lawyer. The demon, whose name is Forneus, is representing kelpies who are in need of Ivy's special skills. The kelpies need Ivy to find their missing king's bridle and if possible the missing king, Ceffyl Dŵr. Forneus warns Ivy that there will be dire consequences if she refuses to find Ceffyl Dŵr's bridle. The reason that human livers are washing up on shore is because the each uisge, terrifying and bloodthirsty creatures who lives to devour humans, are now living in the bay.

The local water fae usually keep the each uisge in check, stopping them from killing humans and drawing unwanted attention. However, Ceffyl Dŵr is missing and the other kelpies and water fae are afraid to stand up against the each uisge. If the each uisge are responsible for Ceffyl Dŵr's kidnapping and have control of Ceffyl's bridle, they can control the kelpie king as long as they have the bridle. If Ceffyl Dŵr returns without his bridle he will not be leading his people against the each uisge, Ceffyl will be fighting for the enemy. Ivy realizes that time is of the essence, the each uisge are just testing the waters with the individual attacks. When they realize that no one is going to oppose them the each uisge will storm the city leaving devastation in their wake.

I absolutely adore Ivy and her snarky personality. Ivy is more of an investigator than traditional ass kicker, I still would not get on her bad side. Ivy has this amazing inner strength that I absolutely love in a heroine. Life may have given her a crap deal, but Ivy has made the most of it. She deals with her "gift" the best that she can while dedicating her life to helping other people. ( )
1 vote myurbanfantasies | Feb 12, 2013 |
WhenI accepted an ARC of Shadow Sight,I wasn’t sure what to expect.I knewit would be good becausethe author’s Spirit Guide series has received such high reviews.I also wasn’t fully certain what an “urban fantasy” would be exactly. My brain has a strange way of classifying genres, and urban fantasyisnot currentlyin my vocabulary. All of that aside though,I can safely say thatI had a lot of fun reading this book.

The main characteris a little quirky (along with her roommate named Jinx), which made me like herinstantly.I love characters that aren’t perfect and seem to be aware oftheir flaws.Ivy was definitely one ofthese characters. She has a special gift—she can gleanimages (emotions) from any object that she touches. Pretty handy skill for finding your lost car keys, butnot so great when you suddenly flash on someone’s worst nightmare. But despitethe challenges,Ivy’s made a pretty good life for herself. She runsthe psychicinvestigating operation Private Eye.

Her special talents often lead to special clients. Enter Forneus, a demon attorney (I laughed attheirony of that stereotype) representingthe Kelpies ofthe area. No big deal, right? Hardly! Kelpies like to eat humans, but that’sthe least ofIvy’s problems. Asit turns out,the Kelpies arethe victimsin a ghastly plot to wipe outthe human population ofthe town.Ivy has to find a way to rescuethe kidnapped Kelpie king and stopthe each uisgefrom attacking.

Not sure what each uisgeare? Neither wasI before reading this book! SoI did a little research with my friend Google.The each uisgeare similar to kelpiesin thatthey both take onthe horse-like form (or human at times) to luretheir victims tothe water, wherethey drownthem and eatthe remains. Kelpies, however, prefer fresh water and rivers whilethe each uisgeare saltwater dwellers.They also havetheir originin Scottish folklore, and are thought to bethe most vicious ofthe water dwelling creatures.I think thatis safe to say after reading this book! Holy smokes.IfI saw one ofthese jokersin personI would pee my pants. No lie. Hereis one ofthe descriptions ofthe diabolical monsters:

“The monster was deathincarnate, fromthe milky orbs ofits dead eyes tothe dripping fangs, sickle claws, poisoned spines, razor sharp exoskeleton ofits legs, and dark mangy fur stretched thin over jutting ribs and hips.”

I promise you, this descriptionis all rainbows and lollipops compared tothe first encounter with the beasts. You still get anidea of how terrifying this creature would be. No wonder you don’t hear much aboutthe each uisgein mythology books!

One of my favorite aspects of this book wastheincorporation of so many mythological elements.There were vampires, unicorns, kelpies, each uisge, fae of all types, witches, trolls, mermaids, merrow, and many more. Don’t think thatthe storyis choppy with so many supernatural elements, becauseitisnot. Everything fitsin very nicely and setsthe stage for future booksinthe series.I am certain that some ofthese mythological creatures will be revisited asIvy’s story progresses.

If you’re a fan of mythology or paranormal books, you would enjoy Shadow Sight.Thereis an element of romance that begins to develop towardsthe end (which keeps you wondering what will happeninthe next book) to satisfythe paranormal romance fans. Butif you’d rather read a mythology-based mystery told fromthe point of view of a quirky, often sarcastic, main character,then you definitely need to read this book! ( )
  flashlight_reader | Jan 4, 2013 |
Welcome to Harborsmouth, where monsters walk the streets unseen by humans…except those with second sight.

Welcome to Harborsmouth, where monsters walk the streets
unseen by humans…except those with second sight, like Ivy Granger.

Some things are best left unseen...

Ivy Granger's second sight is finally giving her life purpose. Ivy and her best friend Jinx may not be raking in the dough, but their psychic detective agency pays the bills--most of the time. Their only worry is the boredom of a slow day and the occasional crazy client--until a demon walks through their door.

Demons are never a good sign...

There's blood in the water...

The lesser of two evils...

E. J. Stevens is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,254,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible