The Better World Handbook : From Good…

The Better World Handbook : From Good Intentions to Everyday Actions

by Ellis Jones

Some of the info in this book wasn't relevant to Canadians but overall it had practical ideas.
I'm happy to say that I am already doing everything I can possible do that was suggested in the book. I'm a member of, and I shop at, co-op stores for food and books whenever possible, if not then I shop Canadian. I bank at the suggested credit union and have done so for 20 years, I don't drive, I don't watch TV, I don't live a consumer oriented lifestyle, I don't buy bottled water or magazines or disposable products, I regularily vote and help the campaigns, I automatically donate every month to the one cause that I can afford to donate to and the most important one to me in preserving our democracy and national integrity which is the Council of Canadians, I try to buy according to how the product or service will impact the world and I look for products with little packaging. I have also been very active in community building for many years. I think that about covers it :)
If nothing else, I found out from this book that I am doing pretty good! :D
  BookAddict | Apr 1, 2006 |

It would be a perfect world if everyone could quit their jobs and devote themselves fully to the causes they believed in. Instead, The Better World Handbook shows caring, but busy people how to live out their progressive values and have a life! The principle behind this engaging guide is to incorporate everyday activism into even the most mundane areas of our lives-like grocery shopping, banking, eating, reading the newspaper, and working.

The book begins with a concise summary of our society's most pressing problems that lead directly to seven foundations necessary for building a better world: economic fairness, comprehensive peace, ecological sustainability, deep democracy, social justice, a culture of simplicity, and revitalized community. Subsequent chapters are organized around intuitive topics such as Food, Money, Transportation, Work, and Media, focusing on activities that support the seven foundations for a better world. A purchase can allow a locally owned business to thrive; money invested in the right bank can create opportunities for poor communities; a vacation can contribute to preserving wilderness areas; tuning-in to public and alternative media can put readers back in control of their thoughts, feelings and values that mainstream media marginalize.

Practical and extremely well researched by four university instructors who have synthesized knowledge from a wide variety of sources, The Better World Handbook provides readers with the essential information they need to take effective actions that will make a difference across the entire spectrum of the world's problems.

Marketing
National print advertising
National print, radio, and web publicity
Author events in Boulder and Denver
Co-op available

All four authors live in Boulder, Colorado where they are instructors at the University of Colorado at Boulder. Each author is deeply committed to activism.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:22 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,355,763 books! | Top bar: Always visible