Vuoren varjo by Gregory David Roberts

Vuoren varjo (original 2015; edition 2017)

by Gregory David Roberts, Helene Bützow (KääNtäJä.)

194687,381 (2.96)5
Member:julienne_preacher
Title:Vuoren varjo
Authors:Gregory David Roberts
Other authors:Helene Bützow (KääNtäJä.)
Info:Helsinki : Kustannusosakeyhtiö Siltala, [2017]
Collections:2018, Read but unowned
Rating:*
Tags:fiction, India, organized crime, didn't finish

The Mountain Shadow by Gregory David Roberts (2015)

English (4)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (6)
I was first given Shantaram on a flight to Singapore back in 2009. I went through the almost thousand pages with excitement, even though I skimmed parts of many chapters, incredibly detailed and drawn out explanations of everything from marble walls to characters. But I still loved it.

The mountain shadow I found was interesting but could have been drastically shortened. Many of the dialogues left me feeling like I was a reader without a brain, explaining each and every reason for phrases that were self explanatory. In fact I felt I was reading a screen play at times.

GDR, you have incredible stories to tell but why bore the reader so much? The story is there but it took almost ten chapters before anything really interesting was happening. The dialogues were long and at times absolutely pointless.

3.5 stars. 4 because respect for being able to almost match the number of pages of war and peace.

There was a unique voice in Shantaram and this is (without doubt) continuing that story, which was exceptional. But Lin's voice has changed and the story is not a continuation, more of a contemplation. I love philosophy and I love there is a message and heart and thinking behind the words. That the man isn't just a mindless man and that he investigates his inner conflicts but seriously, it could have been said with fewer words and the story itself says it without having to spell it out.

I am an author myself and with a life experience that I can draw from in writing. We're all different human beings. I love the short story format, I love having the reader THINK and FEEL. I also know how much work writing takes, how much soul and heart and for that the 4 remains. I'm thankful and grateful you've shared it. So kudos for another incredible story.

Sadly not close to the world Shantaram took us to. ( )
  mmmorsi | Aug 24, 2018 |
Sadly a poor sequel to the previous excellent novel. Characters were undeveloped, unbelievable and two dimensional. The author seems to have lost the plot, or rather invented the story whilst he was writing it. ( )
  jvgravy | Sep 1, 2016 |
I had to give up half way through because it was then I realized there was no plot, just a bunch of one-liners and a heck of a lot fights and the always present love for Karla, which never made sense. What a huge disappointment that none of the magic of Shantaram was in this sequel. ( )
  cacky | Aug 24, 2016 |
I have looked forward to this sequel to Shantaram for years. I bought the hardcover edition and looked forward to having a few unscheduled days so I could devour the almost-900 pages without interruptions. That time finally arrived only for me to find out that the book was a real chore to read. In my review of Roberts' previous novel, I mentioned he had a love affair with metaphors. Unfortunately, that continues to the point of obsession. His passionate writing turned into strange phrases such as 'her lips peeled a lemon of horror' and 'moonlight wrote tree poems on the road.' Lin, also called "Shantaram", man of peace, was a lovable gangster with a sense of honor in the first book, but he was more of a street thug in this one who delights in the pervasive gang wars.

Lin finally connects with the love of his life, Karla of the green eyes. One of their favorite pastimes is trading aphorisms, many of which are downright silly. While I enjoy philosophical thoughts, I don't want to be hit over the head with them in this fashion. His mountaintop experience was something I looked forward to until the gurus started trying to outdo each other while smoking their peace pipes. It all just seemed too forced to me.

I probably need to reread Shantaram to see if it was really as good as I remember it to be. I don't compare children to their siblings but I do compare books, especially those touted as sequels. This one almost seemed to be written by another person…someone in desperate need of a good editor. I can't recommend it, and I'm sorry I wasted my money on it. ( )
1 vote Donna828 | Apr 17, 2016 |
Having read the preceding Shantaram by the same author, I enjoyed this 900-pager a great deal, though at about page 700, I did feel that perhaps the editor might have shortened the text some. Lots of smash-bang action is combined with a good deal of popular philosophy. Not as striking a read as Shantaram, but way, way above an average read.
added by Z49YR | editLT member review, Ted Parkhurst (Jan 5, 2016)

"The narrative is for the most part lively, occasionally gripping. The book glistens with the shine of firsthand experience."

"This series of robust, retro capers with contemporary trappings will have readers feverishly turning the pages."
added by bookfitz | editPublishers Weekly (Oct 19, 2015)

"The journey we go through is ludicrous, cheesy – a large portion consisting of a sage on a mountain-top expounding long lectures on the meaning of life."

Gregory David Robertsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mingiardi, VincenzoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schmidt, SibylleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for the Goddess
The source of all things, the luminescence, has more forms than heaven's stars, sure.

The sequel to Shantaram continues Australian fugitive Lin's search for love and faith in a Bombay that has come under the rule of a new generation of mafia dons and where Lin becomes trapped by his married soulmate and an increasingly violent mission.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,187,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible