The Double Game by Dan Fesperman

The Double Game (edition 2012)

by Dan Fesperman

Title:The Double Game
Authors:Dan Fesperman
Info:Knopf (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:cold war, spy fiction books as clues, Vienna/Prague/Budapest

The Double Game by Dan Fesperman

Spying, and particularly, Cold War spying is one of my favourite sub-genres within fiction and this book, by a favourite writer, fits into my likes almost perfectly.
It is an extraordinary clever piece of work, weaving elements from the entire history of espionage fiction, into a "quest".
Fesperman's books are normally quite somber, but this is more of an "entertainment".
If I have one criticism it is that a reader not so well steeped as I in Le Carre, Hall, Deighton, McCarry etc, might find this all a bit difficult to follow, but I hope there are enough people like me to really enjoy it. ( )
  johnwbeha | Nov 18, 2015 |

Interesting and entertaining in parts but overall, the attempt to intertwine actual novels within a novel and to create reality from fiction doesn't work in this book. It just seems contrived and nerdy - like the spy novel equivalent of a dungeons and dragons convention. Not a bad book but just not well executed in plot and approach. ( )
  lincolnpan | Dec 31, 2014 |
Was okay, but didn't hold my interest. I'll pick it up at a later time. ( )
  autumnturner76 | Sep 22, 2014 |
The first half of this audacious book was entertaining and intriguing. I didn't find the second half quite as charming, but I was still happy to see how it all played out. Fesperman gave himself quite the writing challenge, and I appreciate how cleverly he tried to meet it. ( )
  eapalmer | Jan 19, 2014 |
Was okay, but didn't hold my interest. I'll pick it up at a later time. ( )
  AutumnTurner | Dec 29, 2013 |
The Great Man himself was waiting for me on the phone.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307700135, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, August 2012: The Double Game begins as a playful spy caper within a spy caper, in which clues to a mystery are found in the pages and plots of old spy novels. Okay, clever enough. But the story quickly becomes more refreshingly and unexpectedly mysterious with each turn of the page, and I realized that Fesperman has achieved something remarkable here. He’s turned the spy novel on its head, while paying homage to the genre, and at the same time giving us an unlikely protagonist who discovers that he’s lived his entire life in a world “where fact and fiction were virtually indistinguishable.” Innovative and evocative. --Neal Thompson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:43 -0400)

A thrillingly inventive novel about spies and their secrets, fathers and sons, lovers and fate, and duplicity and loyalty - a maze of intrigue built from the espionage classics of the Cold War. A few years before the fall of the Berlin Wall, spook-turned-novelist Edwin Lemaster reveals to up-and-coming journalist Bill Cage that he'd once considered spying for the enemy. More than two decades later, Cage, by then a lonely, disillusioned PR man, receives an anonymous note hinting that he should have dug deeper. A novel with references throughout to famous spy novels.… (more)

9 wanted2 pay9 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,860,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible