The Double Game by Dan Fesperman

The Double Game (edition 2012)

by Dan Fesperman

Member:E.
Title:The Double Game
Authors:Dan Fesperman
Info:Knopf (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:cold war, spy fiction books as clues, Vienna/Prague/Budapest

The Double Game by Dan Fesperman

Was okay, but didn't hold my interest. I'll pick it up at a later time. ( )
  autumnturner76 | Sep 22, 2014 |
The first half of this audacious book was entertaining and intriguing. I didn't find the second half quite as charming, but I was still happy to see how it all played out. Fesperman gave himself quite the writing challenge, and I appreciate how cleverly he tried to meet it. ( )
  eapalmer | Jan 19, 2014 |
Was okay, but didn't hold my interest. I'll pick it up at a later time. ( )
  AutumnTurner | Dec 29, 2013 |
Recall every espionage novel you have ever read; chance are, it will be cited here, or quoted, or used as part of a code. An amateur is recruited into a Cold War mystery that has lingered for decades. Will he be able to solve what professional operatives could not? Will he be able to overcome a personal defeat that forced him to become an amoral public relations flack rather than a respected journalist? Every character has a back story and frequently that means that the hero cannot trust them. So he's thrust upon relying on his own book-learned spying skills and moves from Vienna to Prague and on to Budapest seeking answers to whether the author he loves the most was, in fact, a genuine double agent working for both the CIA and KGB. He might have even been a "double cubed," that is, a double-double. It is overly complicated and there is far to much cerebral assessment and far too few moral choices. Fesperman has read all the sources but he does not have their skill in combining both the heart and mind to create genuine passion--as well as making the reader fidgety with anxiety. ( )
  neddludd | Dec 16, 2013 |
Having read all of the old spy thrillers I could lay my hands on, I looked forward to reading this book. In the beginning, I so much enjoyed the references to my old friends, Bernie Sampson, Smiley. I liked the movement around Europe. I liked the spy craft. I liked the MC 's father. But it went on too long. I finished because I still liked the basic plot but the story itself was lost. I will try other books by this author. ( )
  librarian1204 | Apr 27, 2013 |
The Great Man himself was waiting for me on the phone.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307700135, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, August 2012: The Double Game begins as a playful spy caper within a spy caper, in which clues to a mystery are found in the pages and plots of old spy novels. Okay, clever enough. But the story quickly becomes more refreshingly and unexpectedly mysterious with each turn of the page, and I realized that Fesperman has achieved something remarkable here. He’s turned the spy novel on its head, while paying homage to the genre, and at the same time giving us an unlikely protagonist who discovers that he’s lived his entire life in a world “where fact and fiction were virtually indistinguishable.” Innovative and evocative. --Neal Thompson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:36 -0400)

A thrillingly inventive novel about spies and their secrets, fathers and sons, lovers and fate, and duplicity and loyalty - a maze of intrigue built from the espionage classics of the Cold War. A few years before the fall of the Berlin Wall, spook-turned-novelist Edwin Lemaster reveals to up-and-coming journalist Bill Cage that he'd once considered spying for the enemy. More than two decades later, Cage, by then a lonely, disillusioned PR man, receives an anonymous note hinting that he should have dug deeper. A novel with references throughout to famous spy novels.… (more)

27 wanted2 pay9 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,319,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible