The Remaining: Aftermath by D.J. Molles

The Remaining: Aftermath (edition 2012)

by D.J. Molles

39None290,134 (4)None
Member:matthew254
Title:The Remaining: Aftermath
Authors:D.J. Molles
Info:

The Remaining: Aftermath by D.J. Molles

This book, like the one previous is a quick moving action packed and thrilling ride. The characters feel fairly realistic in terms of their motivations and behaviors and in that sense they are dynamic and diverse. With that said, this is pretty much where the diversity ends.
The women are all pretty much the same. They're the typical nurturing, strong via attitude, people whose roles are to comfort, cook, and nurse. This is getting old as far as I'm concerned. Angry and with attitude does not equate strength in a woman any more than nursing wounds and cooking food and giving sweet doe eyes. Good lord I want to vomit.
We've met a little Arab boy and there was a black guy we saw in passing. Molles has introduced the readers to dozens of survivors from different camps and walks of life and yet no one of consequence is Asian, or black, or Hispanic, or from any of the countless other racial and cultural designations. No one has been identified as gay, or handicap. This has been a very homogeneous story thus far and that too has gotten old.
A little more than half way through this story I was about to put it down and stop listening. I was getting bored. Fortunately we got to meet a nasty little nemesis who stirred things up. He is now dead and no doubt, if Molles wants to keep the readers engaged, he'll introduce another in the next book. There was also a nice little surprise twist that helped renew my interest. Nevertheless, I'm not certain that I'm willing to stick through this series for the long haul.
There are tons of deeply detailed descriptions of guns and extensively described shoot outs that make this a pretty heavy testosterone trip. The main character Lee, is likable enough but he isn't exactly memorable. Lee has righteous anger and a need to save the people that seems so odd to me. I know that this is what he is trained to do, but he never has a moral slip. There's never a time wen he gets tired and thinks, "maybe I should just take care of me and let these doubting annoying whining useless jackasses take care of themselves." Hell, I know that would be wrong, but it would at least be realistic. Instead, its almost as if Lee has been programmed. He's just too "good", which equals not quite human, which equals not relatable.
Molles has written a fairly engaging tale. No one is perfect, so I'm not expecting that. I've read and listened to a load of zombie books and stories and with the flood of them on the market these days few are unique. Molles has done a good job within the niche, but he hasn't really produced a story that would stay with me, as a non-former military, white male in his 20-30s.
Unique would be able bodied women, a world with more diverse characters from diverse backgrounds, people with more and interesting skill sets, a protagonist not plucked from every run of the mill video game.
It's been fun but you can only ride the roller coaster so long before you're ready to try a different ride.
We will see. ( )
  khaalidah | Mar 14, 2014 |
I liked this book equally as well as the first in the series. Since I have the same feelings about this book as the other, I'm using my review of The Remaining here. Good take on the zombie apocalypse. The Remaining series follows a soldier tasked with rebuilding civilization after a catastrophic event. I was a little worried before starting that it was going to be a military action book more than a survivors tale of the zombie apocalypse, but I was pleasantly surprised. When I read ZA books, I'm not interested in blood and gore or really gross zombie encounters and I'm not interested in hearing about main characters that are bad ass and overnight learn how to kill anything that gets in their way while leading hundreds of people to safety single handedly. I prefer realistic tales (as realistic as ZA novels can be) with groups of people who are trying to survivor after a world altering event when they have no idea how to get by in the new world and must learn day by day. This series is right up my alley.

It has plenty of characters that are easy to become invested in and it has aggravating situations that crop up that are intense while not being outrageous. The focus of the story isn't blood and gore or military style action, but the survivors and their daily struggles to make it through to the next sunrise. If ZA is your thing because of the tales of survivors, this is a good series to sink your teeth into. ( )
  AMidnightSoul | Nov 1, 2013 |
Eh. Good, but not great. Certainly not as good as the original "The Remaining". It seemed the story developed rather quickly the first half of the book and was quite engaging. Then, it suddenly halted and hung on one scene for nearly 100 pages at the hospital. I was really ready for the story to progress. There also seemed to be less of the infected this time and more dealings with uncivilized survivors. Basically, a post-apocalyptical, good guys vs. bad guys story, with a few zombies thrown in for extra thrill. With a lot of cussing and slow-paced development, I don't recommend this sequel to what was an excellent start to this trilogy. ( )
  gdill | May 16, 2013 |
The post-apocalyptic story continues as Captain Harden tries recover supplies from secret bunker and unite pockets of survivors. ( )
  dougcornelius | Jan 16, 2013 |
The middle act is always a tough act to pull off well. Molles does his readers justice by doing everything that made the first "Remaining" book so enthralling without rehashing predictable plot points and character flaws. Don't allow yourself to make the mistake in thinking that this is just a "zombie" book. Just like the first book, this is an original, fast-paced, survival horror story that is a blast to read. Well done. ( )
  matthew254 | Dec 30, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,505,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible