Acrobat by Mary Calmes

Acrobat

by Mary Calmes

There are some books I have wanted to read forever, yet somehow never got around to them. ‘Acrobat’ is one of them and I am both sorry it took me so long and happy. Happy only because reading an amazing story about wonderfully complex characters like this for the first time is a treat, and I got to have my treat now. Sorry – I can’t help but feel that I should have gotten around to it closer to its publication date. Be that as it may, if you haven’t read ‘Acrobat' yet, maybe you should consider it. It’s emotional, has quite a few surprises, and the differences between cool and collected English lit professor Nate and hot-blooded Italian-American mobster Dreo added a lot of spice to their romance. They don’t have an easy time of it, but with how much they are clearly meant for each other, I kept hoping they’d get the message. Actually it was Nate who needed to wake up to the truth more than Dreo, and he sure took his time!

If I had to describe Nate, I’d probably say he is like a rock in a stormy sea – no matter how high the waves that batter him, he remains quiet and stable. Partly that is because he can be a little clueless about people and their emotions, but mostly it is because that’s just the way he is. Considerate and always ready to help, mostly logical, and very forgiving. He also doesn’t scare easily, and that comes in handy when the sh*t hits the fan and Dreo’s boss and most of his friends get shot in some sort of a mafia feud. Nate has no idea what it is all about, doesn’t think he is involved, and where others would panic, he shrugs and keeps going.

Dreo is tall, dark, and handsome. He is of Italian descent, and probably involved with the mafia. Nate isn’t sure – not before the events in this story - but the fact that Dreo carries a gun at all times speaks volumes. Dreo is deep and mysterious, and the truth about what he is planning only comes out about halfway through the book. I was impressed. So was Nate. But getting out of the mafia is not a small feat, and there are complications. Dreo may be determined to keep everyone who is important to him safe, but others clearly don’t agree, and that kept me in suspense.

Nate and Dreo’s relationship is interesting – and not just because of the hit men who suddenly appear out of the woodwork. Nate and Dreo have been neighbors, then friends, for four years. Nate loves Dreo’s nephew, Michael, who is sixteen at this point, and watches over him as if he were Nate’s own son. There is some bonding over Michael, but Nate is too busy to try to find his Mr. Right to see Dreo as anything but a friend. When that finally changes, boy, do these two burn up the sheets. Nate really comes into his own for the first time in his life – he stops analyzing everything about Dreo - and finally understands what it means to love someone. In his words: “There were no tricks needed, no midair trapeze work, no acrobatics without a net to impress and keep Dreo Fiore. I could do it without theatrics, with just me and my heart.” Simply beautiful, and a great explanation for the meaning of the title.

If you like complex, real characters who have all kinds of issues to work through before they can get together, if you think the combination of a cool English professor and a hot Italian-American sounds interesting, and if you’re looking for a read that is spellbinding, sometimes heart-wrenching, and always fast-paced, then you will probably like this novel as much as I did.

NOTE: This book was provided by Dreamspinner Press for the purpose of a review on Rainbow Book Reviews. ( )
  SerenaYates | Oct 14, 2017 |
Suspence: 4
To re-read: 8
  lulumiami | Sep 3, 2017 |
Acrobat"?

Oh I get the reference and metaphor Ms. Calmes with Nate contorting himself for everyone and I mean everyone because Nate was so saint like in this story that it almost made me gag. Nate was a good person (I get it) But how good is he if he's lived next door to sexual napalm aka Andreo Fiore and didn't even notice it until fate stepped in?

Saint Nate, shame on you! I'm going to get ready to strip you of your sainthood for sleeping on this hot alpha, male of a delicious Italian man.

Dreo!

I'm all aquiver for Andreo Fiore! He's so great in his quiet, obsessive, dominant, criminal stalker like mentality. I'll eat him up anyway I can get him.

Um...the story? The story is Mary Calmes typical fare with a fairy tale like quality to it (Can I see these events of a gay mobster coming out and being accepted with his professor lover in reality? Nope but thank Cheesus for fiction, eh?). There's light suspense going on but, really, who gives a flying F when it comes to Fiore. He made and saved this story from Yawnsville.

The sex? I give it 10 Fiores!
The intense love between Saint Nate and Dreo? I give it 10 Fiores!
The adorable secondary characters? I give them 10 Fiores!
Nate's goody-goodyness? Only 1 Fiore!

So I'm rating FOUR & A HALF STARS because seriously this book's more about Dreo than anything else." ( )
  SheReadsALot | Jun 20, 2016 |
4.5/5
Really enjoyed it, what a lovely, hot read! ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
3.5 stars. I was really excited when I figured out this was Duncan's ex that he spoke to in Parting Shot. But I felt like Nate was Jory in this one again, but Nate kind of bugged me. Everyone loved Jory, and in this one everyone loved Nate, which was fine, but I didn't get the flirting and touching the women. Like when Nate hid in that female professor's office, and he was touching her thigh and breathing between her legs?! Just seemed odd for a gay guy. There were some little inconsistencies too because at the beginning Nate thought Dreo was scar and his eyes were always cold and black, but when they bump into each other at the hospital shortly after that, he thinks: Dreo's brown-black eyes were not like any others I had ever seen, and sometimes just for a second, I got lost there. Sometimes means that he's gotten lost in them previously, but he just thought they were always cold and black. Also, Nate hated that Duncan was in the closet when they were together because Nate was out and proud, but I thought when I read Parting Shot that it was mentioned that Nate had to be int he closet at the beginning because of his job. Anyway, at one point Nate was thinking about how he wanted Duncan to acknowledge him and touch him in public, even though Nate isn't a touchy-feely person. But if Nate isn't touchy-feely, then who is because the guy is forever touch everyone. He was always touching Michael, Dreo and pretty much anyone else he was speaking to. I think my problem is I will forever compare these Mary Calmes books to Jory and Sam because they are one of my all time faves. ( )
  DreZ | Jan 15, 2015 |

Mary Calmesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Crisden, SeanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Forty-five-year-old English professor Nathan Qells is very good at making people feel important. What he's not very good at is sticking around afterward. He's a nice guy; he just doesn't feel things the way other people do. So even after all the time he's spent taking care of Michael, the kid across the hall, he doesn't realize that Michael's mob muscle uncle and guardian, Andreo Fiore, has slowly been falling in love with him. Dreo has bigger problems than getting Nate to see him as a potential partner. He's raising his nephew, trying to leave his unsavory job, and starting his own business, a process made infinitely more difficult when a series of hits takes out some key underworld players. Still, Dreo is determined to build a life he can be proud of--a life with Nate as a cornerstone.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,297,853 books! | Top bar: Always visible