Acrobat by Mary Calmes

Authors:Mary Calmes
Info:Dreamspinner Press (2012), Paperback, 250 pages
Rating:*****

Acrobat by Mary Calmes

3.5 stars. I was really excited when I figured out this was Duncan's ex that he spoke to in Parting Shot. But I felt like Nate was Jory in this one again, but Nate kind of bugged me. Everyone loved Jory, and in this one everyone loved Nate, which was fine, but I didn't get the flirting and touching the women. Like when Nate hid in that female professor's office, and he was touching her thigh and breathing between her legs?! Just seemed odd for a gay guy. There were some little inconsistencies too because at the beginning Nate thought Dreo was scar and his eyes were always cold and black, but when they bump into each other at the hospital shortly after that, he thinks: Dreo's brown-black eyes were not like any others I had ever seen, and sometimes just for a second, I got lost there. Sometimes means that he's gotten lost in them previously, but he just thought they were always cold and black. Also, Nate hated that Duncan was in the closet when they were together because Nate was out and proud, but I thought when I read Parting Shot that it was mentioned that Nate had to be int he closet at the beginning because of his job. Anyway, at one point Nate was thinking about how he wanted Duncan to acknowledge him and touch him in public, even though Nate isn't a touchy-feely person. But if Nate isn't touchy-feely, then who is because the guy is forever touch everyone. He was always touching Michael, Dreo and pretty much anyone else he was speaking to. I think my problem is I will forever compare these Mary Calmes books to Jory and Sam because they are one of my all time faves. ( )
  DreZ | Jan 15, 2015 |
  DreZ | Jan 15, 2015 |

31/2 stars. ( )
  stellabela | Jan 6, 2015 |
The type of novel I found reading Acrobat isn't what I was expecting. From the cover, from the blurb, I was expecting a lot more drama, more angst, and instead, even when the story turns into a little bit of drama, it was always with a romantic/comedy tune that has never had me worried about the main characters.

Nate is a 45 years old English lit college professor, gay with a 27 years old son he had with his best girl friend from high school, best girl friend who is still a huge part of his life. While Nate doesn't value himself a lot, he is not a reclusive gay man pining for love, he has actually a string of former boyfriends, all of them potential Mr Right material, but none of them the Mr Right for him. Two of them, the last, former boyfriend, Duncan, a police detective, and the papable next one, Sean, a surgeon, are still in the picture, when hunky neighbor Andreo enters the frame too.

Nate, missing the father role now that his own son has gone to make his own independent life, has became a father figure for Michael, the teenager next door under the care of his young uncle, Dreo, 28 years old. Apparently Nate has never cared much for Dreo, but cares a lot for Michael. But one day, Dreo makes it clear that he is very much interested in Nate, and that he wants him to become a permanent asset in the family he makes with his nephew Michael.

Now while Dreo is indeed a imponent figure, compensating the age gap with his dominant attitude, I found a little strange that Nate was complaining he wasn't right for a relationship with 32 years old Sean, 5 years older than his own son, and then he basically doesn't make a flitch in being in a relationship with 28 years old Dreo, only 1 year older than his son. But sincerely, cute Nate, cause Nate, even if 35 years old is very much cute, was such a funny character that I didn't care much about the incongruence. Nate is like a women magnet, but not for sexual reasons, but as your best gay friend. Do you rememeber that movie with Julia Roberts and Rupert Everett? yes, Nate is like Rupert, perfect in every aspect, just not for a woman. But he is a perfect boyfriend for Dreo, a perfect father for Jared and now Michael, a perfect son in law for Dreo's parents, a perfect friend, a perfect colleague, a perfect teacher... Perfect! and while being so perfect may be boring, the author managed I don't know how to not let that happens, and indeed I loved Nate.

elisa.rolle | Dec 29, 2014 |
Another well written book by Mary Calmes. ( )
  Penny01 | Feb 1, 2014 |

Forty-five-year-old English professor Nathan Qells is very good at making people feel important. What he's not very good at is sticking around afterward. He's a nice guy; he just doesn't feel things the way other people do. So even after all the time he's spent taking care of Michael, the kid across the hall, he doesn't realize that Michael's mob muscle uncle and guardian, Andreo Fiore, has slowly been falling in love with him. Dreo has bigger problems than getting Nate to see him as a potential partner. He's raising his nephew, trying to leave his unsavory job, and starting his own business, a process made infinitely more difficult when a series of hits takes out some key underworld players. Still, Dreo is determined to build a life he can be proud of--a life with Nate as a cornerstone.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,179,272 books! | Top bar: Always visible