Acrobat by Mary Calmes

Authors:Mary Calmes
Info:Dreamspinner Press (2012), Paperback, 250 pages
Rating:*****

Acrobat by Mary Calmes

2012 (1) angst (1) anti-hero (1) contemporary (4) cops (1) crime (2) Defined Roles (2) DONE (1) EB (1) ebook (5) favorites (3) fiction (4) gangster (1) gay (3) gay fiction (1) glbt fiction (1) goodreads (1) HG (2) homosexuality (1) Kindle (1) LGBTQ (1) m-m-romance (3) m/m (6) mafia (1) Multiple Partners (1) novel (1) owned (1) romance (3) sweet (2) to-read (4)

Another well written book by Mary Calmes. ( )
  Penny01 | Feb 1, 2014 |
This book was awesome. Mary has a way of just roping you in and making you feel like you are there with the characters as they tell you their story.

I was laughing before I even finished the first page. It was funny, sad, sweet and had a hint of intrigue. Nate and Dreo really had a chemistry that I enjoyed reading.

This one went on my favorites list. And it is definitely worth a re-read in the future. ( )
  pfodge | Oct 17, 2013 |
I really liked this. I've got a total thing for bad boys with muscley thighs, a big wang and a sense of purpose about them. Yay Dreo! Nom. I did kinda feel that this was not dissimilar to some of the authors other works. Hero caretaker with the whole family ties shebang, but maybe with the crappy weather and me stuck in front of the fire, this is just what I needed. Something smoochy, dramatic with the occasional bit of Italian that I looked up on google translator. Nice. ( )
  sharrow | Sep 21, 2013 |
This was just a-fucking-dorable. Typical Mary Calmes type of story, with that one guy that everyone just loves, who was genuinely likable to the reader as well. Couple that with a totally hot alpha and what's not to love? ( )
  Bitchie | Sep 21, 2013 |
I loved this like I love everything Calmes writes. The perfect amount of insecurity, love, tension, danger, humor, and sweetness is what I love about her novels and this is one of her best. Oh, and there's actually a plot with subplots, interesting ones. And the romance is still central. Go figure.

The fact that Nate is gorgeous, doesn't realize it, and everyone loves him is typical Mary Calmes. It's annoying but I just expect it so I can deal. Also, everyone good is beautiful. Everyone.

Lots if people want Duncan to have his own story. I didn't really like Duncan, although his jealousy was kind of cute. In real life, these possessive guys would scare the crap out if me. But it's so hot in these books. I am ashamed sometimes.

The sexual tension was so good and the sex scenes when they finally happened were very hot. There were several things in the book I normally abhor: mafia, control & ordering people around, huge age difference, but these things just didn't matter to me here. (Plus, they pair really felt the same age, like early 30's, and the only reason I even knew about the age difference is that Nate keeps worrying about it. But I really loved that people kept telling Nate that 45 wasn't old. I've ready a couple of books recently where someone in their 40's is considered old and it pisses me off. Most still have more than half their adult life left. I'm not old and my friends aren't old. So I'm really glad Calmes is realistic on this issue--if little else--and nice about it.)

I just cannot get enough of this author. ( )
1 vote maybedog | Apr 5, 2013 |

Forty-five-year-old English professor Nathan Qells is very good at making people feel important. What he's not very good at is sticking around afterward. He's a nice guy; he just doesn't feel things the way other people do. So even after all the time he's spent taking care of Michael, the kid across the hall, he doesn't realize that Michael's mob muscle uncle and guardian, Andreo Fiore, has slowly been falling in love with him. Dreo has bigger problems than getting Nate to see him as a potential partner. He's raising his nephew, trying to leave his unsavory job, and starting his own business, a process made infinitely more difficult when a series of hits takes out some key underworld players. Still, Dreo is determined to build a life he can be proud of--a life with Nate as a cornerstone.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,317,219 books! | Top bar: Always visible