Acrobat by Mary Calmes

Info:Dreamspinner Press (2012), Paperback, 250 pages
Rating:*****

Acrobat by Mary Calmes

Acrobat"?

Oh I get the reference and metaphor Ms. Calmes with Nate contorting himself for everyone and I mean everyone because Nate was so saint like in this story that it almost made me gag. Nate was a good person (I get it) But how good is he if he's lived next door to sexual napalm aka Andreo Fiore and didn't even notice it until fate stepped in?

Saint Nate, shame on you! I'm going to get ready to strip you of your sainthood for sleeping on this hot alpha, male of a delicious Italian man.

Dreo!

I'm all aquiver for Andreo Fiore! He's so great in his quiet, obsessive, dominant, criminal stalker like mentality. I'll eat him up anyway I can get him.

Um...the story? The story is Mary Calmes typical fare with a fairy tale like quality to it (Can I see these events of a gay mobster coming out and being accepted with his professor lover in reality? Nope but thank Cheesus for fiction, eh?). There's light suspense going on but, really, who gives a flying F when it comes to Fiore. He made and saved this story from Yawnsville.

The sex? I give it 10 Fiores!
The intense love between Saint Nate and Dreo? I give it 10 Fiores!
The adorable secondary characters? I give them 10 Fiores!
Nate's goody-goodyness? Only 1 Fiore!

So I'm rating FOUR & A HALF STARS because seriously this book's more about Dreo than anything else." ( )
  SheReadsALot | Jun 20, 2016 |
4.5/5
Really enjoyed it, what a lovely, hot read! ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
3.5 stars. I was really excited when I figured out this was Duncan's ex that he spoke to in Parting Shot. But I felt like Nate was Jory in this one again, but Nate kind of bugged me. Everyone loved Jory, and in this one everyone loved Nate, which was fine, but I didn't get the flirting and touching the women. Like when Nate hid in that female professor's office, and he was touching her thigh and breathing between her legs?! Just seemed odd for a gay guy. There were some little inconsistencies too because at the beginning Nate thought Dreo was scar and his eyes were always cold and black, but when they bump into each other at the hospital shortly after that, he thinks: Dreo's brown-black eyes were not like any others I had ever seen, and sometimes just for a second, I got lost there. Sometimes means that he's gotten lost in them previously, but he just thought they were always cold and black. Also, Nate hated that Duncan was in the closet when they were together because Nate was out and proud, but I thought when I read Parting Shot that it was mentioned that Nate had to be int he closet at the beginning because of his job. Anyway, at one point Nate was thinking about how he wanted Duncan to acknowledge him and touch him in public, even though Nate isn't a touchy-feely person. But if Nate isn't touchy-feely, then who is because the guy is forever touch everyone. He was always touching Michael, Dreo and pretty much anyone else he was speaking to. I think my problem is I will forever compare these Mary Calmes books to Jory and Sam because they are one of my all time faves. ( )
  DreZ | Jan 15, 2015 |
  DreZ | Jan 15, 2015 |

31/2 stars. ( )
  stellabela | Jan 6, 2015 |

Forty-five-year-old English professor Nathan Qells is very good at making people feel important. What he's not very good at is sticking around afterward. He's a nice guy; he just doesn't feel things the way other people do. So even after all the time he's spent taking care of Michael, the kid across the hall, he doesn't realize that Michael's mob muscle uncle and guardian, Andreo Fiore, has slowly been falling in love with him. Dreo has bigger problems than getting Nate to see him as a potential partner. He's raising his nephew, trying to leave his unsavory job, and starting his own business, a process made infinitely more difficult when a series of hits takes out some key underworld players. Still, Dreo is determined to build a life he can be proud of--a life with Nate as a cornerstone.… (more)

9 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,785,802 books! | Top bar: Always visible