IT'S THE ECONOMY, STUPID a Rhodes Scholar…

IT'S THE ECONOMY, STUPID a Rhodes Scholar education in one hour

by Andre Jute

I won a copy of this book via Member Giveaway. I was hoping that it would help me take a better interest and gain a better understanding of economics (and maybe a few chuckles).

I will say it was a pretty quick read. A lot of references, and also used a writing style not seen in a text book. But it still didn't keep my interest long enough to learn anything. I think I will stick with the other genres, where you don't really learn anything. lol. ( )
  lizamichelle1 | Jun 13, 2012 |
The Description - "IT’S THE ECONOMY, STUPID explains in under an hour what truly matters in this (or any other) Presidential election. You’ll be able to identify the culprits responsible for economic theory and policy — and you’ll know why they’ve created this mess. In other words, you’ll be as smart as Bill Clinton, the Rhodes Scholar for whom the catch phrase “It’s the economy, stupid” was coined."

The description caught my attention, but the book failed to live up to it. Economic theories and their founders are presented in encyclopedic fashion, and the author's clear message is that these theories are divorced from reality - except for the often disastrous results. A good book for someone curious about economic theory, as it provides enough nuggets of information to prompt further reading. ( )
  dragonaria | May 28, 2012 |
This short book presents a nice historical overview of economics from ancient times to the present. The book defines and traces the history of various economic terms, movements and key ideas, such as Mercantilism, Monoplies, Money and Banking. It also presents brief and for the more important economic thinkers, like Adam Smith, Marx, John Maynard Keynes and Milton Friedman, more detailed biographical information and explains their important works, economic theories and philosophies. The book concludes with the Great Complacency in economic thought and market management which dominated the late 20th century and how the 2008 market crash showed its failings. The book is easy read and a nice introduction to the history of economic theory. Written more like an introductory textbook or lecture, it makes a nice quick reference with key terms, names and topics highlighted. Sadly, it lacks an index which would be helpful. ( )
  papyri | May 20, 2012 |

Andre Jute is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,368,939 books! | Top bar: Always visible