Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year

Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year (2012)

2962037,920 (3.07)13
Member:Jennie_103
Title:Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year
Authors:
Info:Penguin Group, Hardcover
Collections:Lit and Phil
Rating:*****
Tags:humour, UK, empty-nest, love, marriage, twitter

The Woman Who Went to Bed For a Year by Sue Townsend (2012)

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce (divinenanny)
    divinenanny: Another person who decides something needs to change in life and amasses a great big following without him/her wanting to.
    Mijn zoon heeft een seksleven en ik lees mijn moeder roodkapje voor by Renate Dorrestein (YolaNL)
    YolaNL: Sue Townsend and Renate Dorrestein have a similar down to earth, humorous style of writing. The topic of these two books happens to be similar as well: a drastic point of change in the life of a middle aged woman.

English (14)  Spanish (3)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (20)
Ik vond dit een flauw boek en begreep niet waar het nou eigenlijk naar toe ging. Ja, Eva besluit een jaar in bed te liggen en is na een redelijke start daar niet echt succesvol in. Ze wordt een soort guru voor anderen, zonder dat ze het wil en zonder dat ze iets essentieels te zeggen heeft. Er tussendoor speelt het vreugdeloze verhaal van haar kinderen (tweeling die net naar de universiteit is gegaan) en van haar man en zijn minnares. Allemaal niet echt leuk en ook niet echt boeiend. ( )
  elsmvst | Feb 28, 2016 |
I am not sure what to think about this book; it is a very bittersweet read. In one sense it is classic Townsend- the biting social commentary, the witty depiction of the characters, the ability to find humour in almost any situation. But it is also incredibly sad. Eva is a woman whose life has been swallowed up caring for her twins and husband. She takes to her bed and still ends up being burdened by people's problems. This is a woman who cannot find peace and quiet in bed and I felt her sense of desperation. ( )
  martensgirl | May 5, 2015 |
A interesting and poignant social commentary. It seems to me that some of the (newspaper and magazine) reviewers didn't bother to read this book and relied instead on their stock of comments for Adrian Mole books. "Glorious laugh out-lound" "Hilarious" "I laughed until I cried" which adorn the sleeve of this book certainly do not apply to its contents. ( )
  PaddySheridan | Mar 8, 2015 |
I sort of enjoyed this book when I read it a couple of years ago, but wasn't too entranced with it - the title may have been the best part. Perhaps because the idea of going to bed for a year when you feel hard-done-by, unappreciated and overwhelmed is quite likely best not put into practice. ( )
  triscuit | Jan 13, 2015 |
I've been a Sue Townsend fan ever since Adrian Mole painted his room black (except for the show-through Noddy hats) in The Diary of Adrian Mole, aged 13 3/4. She manages to weave humour and pathos through her books, making them eminently readable and slipping truths into them under the cover of odd characters and interesting situations.
In this book, Eva's twin children, autistic brilliants who never relate to anyone else, have left for university, and Eva decides to retire to her bed. Forever.
The idea appealed to me - the thought of opting out of life, just spending time lolling about, having others serve you, letting them know how much work you've put into making the world the way it was for your family. I remember having the same feeling when I left my husband - I'd done so much for him, from renewing his car license to organizing health care, that it wore me out.
Eva grows afraid to step out of her bed, and gradually things get odder and odder. She gives advice to a passing cabbie and he spreads the word of her wisdom, and soon she is surrounded by acolytes, begging for answers. Her husband is caught in a several-year-long affair. Her children are terrorized by a fellow undergraduate, who insinuates herself into every aspect of their lives. Eva's selfishness puts her at risk.
Somehow the world whirls around Eva, crises rising and falling, and through it all, Eva wonders what the world is about.

The last lines of the book made me break out weeping, suddenly.
I wept because of the simplicity of the answer, and because I knew I'd miss Eva. ( )
  Dabble58 | Jan 1, 2014 |
'Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting

a hard battle'

attributed to Plato, and many others
To my mother, Grace
After they'd gone Eva slid the bolt across the door and disconnected the telephone.

'The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year' is a funny and touching novel about what happens when someone refuses to be the person everyone expects them to be.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0718157168, 0141399643

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,264,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible