Read This!: Handpicked Favorites from…

Read This!: Handpicked Favorites from America's Indie Bookstores (edition 2012)

by Hans Weyandt, Ann Patchett (Introduction)

693173,491 (4)16
Member:LauraBrook
Title:Read This!: Handpicked Favorites from America's Indie Bookstores
Authors:Hans Weyandt
Other authors:Ann Patchett (Introduction)
Info:Coffee House Press (2012), Paperback, 200 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Mark's Secret Santa 2012, gift from Nancy/alphaorder

Read This!: Handpicked Favorites from America's Indie Bookstores by Hans Weyandt

I enjoy "Books About Books." In this one, independent bookstore owners and employees were asked to recommend books that they particularly liked and/or frequently recommended to their customers and friends. For each store, several of the recommendations are discussed, and there is a list of other books recommended. I found there were many, many authors and books I hadn't heard of. I made an extensive list of books to explore, since in most cases there was little or no information about the book, as only a fraction of the books recommended were described. This led to my discovering on exploration that some were of little or no interest to me, i.e. children's books, technical books, etc., but there was enough there to make this a fun book to peruse. You can also find good indie bookstores for many cities and towns across the US. ( )
  arubabookwoman | Sep 26, 2013 |
Picked this up while on vacation in Maine and spending time in Sherman's Books and Stationary (which is a classic indie bookstore -- I visited the Freeport store). The man behind the counter helped me find books I wanted, chatted with me about current reading, and then, when I grabbed this on impulse, said he'd contributed to it (so I got him to autograph it because, hey! why not?)

This one is more like the Nancy Pearl books rather than those "You Must Read This" lists -- these are books people who sell books liked best, and that means something. ( )
  Murphy-Jacobs | Mar 30, 2013 |
This book came to me at a very valuable time, a time when I'm exhausted by trying to read the murky crystal ball that is the future of publishing and bookselling while awaiting what could be a huge game changing election depending on how the votes go. I've gotten lost in the fear of it all. But this book, this tiny little book, has reminded me of just how lucky I am, because my job is to read, talk about and sell books. This book reminded me that this is my CAREER--it's not just a job. And it's not just a career, it's a calling that is the truest, best, most wonderful thing I've ever done and gotten paid for. As Ann Patchett says in her introduction to the book:

"There is no greater joy for a bookseller than introducing a reader to a book they will love for the rest of their lives. Those of us in this business are, after all, matchmakers at heart.

So consider this little book...a sort of catalogue of matchmakers."

These are lists, fifty titles long, from independent booksellers all over the country, of their very favorite books to share with others. Each list is prefaced with a bit about the stores they are from and their ideas about books and bookish things. There is room built into the book for your own list, and space to make notes as you read the lists. A extra special thing about this book is that all the proceeds go to the American Booksellers Foundations for Free Expression (ABFFE), a group that fights literary censorship and supports struggling bookstores.

For me, it reads like a bucket list of book stores I MUST see before I die. I've got one down--Tattered Cover's got a list in there too. This is a great book for any bibliophile anywhere. ( )
2 vote JackieBlem | Sep 15, 2012 |

Collects the reading suggestions from twenty-five independent booksellers, including Milwaukee's Boswell Book Company, Tampa's Inkwood Books, and Los Angeles' Skylight Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,341,394 books! | Top bar: Always visible