How Excellent Companies Avoid Dumb Things by…

How Excellent Companies Avoid Dumb Things

by Neil Smith

Other authors: Patricia O'Connell

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
(Can't believe I neglected to post review for so long)

Nothing fancy or earthshaking... I get others comments about "sales pitch-y" as well. If you are a business addict (which I am sometimes), it may appeal. Beyond that, I cannot recommend. ( )
  mattdocmartin | Aug 31, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The ideas presented by Neil Smith in this book are very relevant to higher management in medium to large companies looking to fix operations and efficiency. With lots of experience and case studies to draw on, Smith can illustrate his "barriers" and roughly outline fixes in a variety of environments. The book had plenty to offer and a lot can be taken from Smith's expertise but as other reviewers pointed out, the book reads more like a advertisement for consulting services than a management tutorial. Solutions are hinted at but never truly presented and each chapters has a very polished shine to it which reads more like ad copy than professional development text. Devoted readers/managers could pull some ideas from the book but implementing them without further employing Smith might prove difficult. ( )
  loafhunter13 | Aug 24, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I read this one shortly after receiving it from Early Reviewers, and just noticed that the review I wrote apparently never got saved. Ah well. I found it spot-on in identifying the various problems businesses face, particularly the problems of companies not soliciting improvement ideas from all employees, and resistance to change in general. The arguments were convincing, but I found myself doubting that companies would actually be able to put the reforms into place. ( )
  runeshower | May 6, 2016 |
I couldn't finish it. It seemed like a sales pitch, and I just couldn't get interested. ( )
  biscuit | May 3, 2016 |
I received a copy of this as part of librarything Early Reviewer program.

Self help book for business. Good read but nothing new or innovative. ( )
  Jamilyn | Mar 8, 2016 |

Neil Smithprimary authorall editionscalculated
O'Connell, Patriciasecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

A corporate manifesto for overcoming obstacles to professional success identifies the reasons why companies often make questionable decisions, outlining 12 fast-track principles of business transformation that discuss the involvement of CEOs, personal accountability and increasing revenue instead of cutting costs.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Neil Smith's book How Excellent Companies Avoid Dumb Things: Breaking the 8 Hidden Barriers that Plague Even the Best was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,073,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible