Dreamland: Adventures in the Strange Science…

Dreamland: Adventures in the Strange Science of Sleep (original 2012; edition 2012)

by David K. Randall

Member:Rosareads
Title:Dreamland: Adventures in the Strange Science of Sleep
Authors:David K. Randall
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages

Dreamland: Adventures in the Strange Science of Sleep by David K. Randall (2012)

Light reading. Personal angle is the author discovered he sleepwalks and learns how little sleep is understood. Interesying but not particularly enlightening. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
Sleep has always intrigued me. My personal clock has never been a 24-hour one, and I have always craved a lifestyle that would let me sleep when I chose and wake without an alarm (not, mind you, because I am lazy, but because I prefer to work on a massive project until it is finished and then reward myself with sleep).

Randall approaches the topic of sleep from lots and lots and lots of angles. I learned many things I did not know about sleep problems and the cures (or snake oil) sold for them, as well as lots that I thought everyone knew about the benefits of sleep. But what the book primarily confirms is that we know very little about this thing that every human now and forever has always done for roughly a third of our lives. ( )
  Phyllis.Mann | Jul 13, 2015 |
A fairly humdrum example of the kind of science writing that consists of regurgitating scientific journal articles into the undiscriminating maw of the lay person. Although I may have been biased against this book because of the staggeringly inappropriate audiobook narration on Audible. ( )
  dazzyj | Apr 25, 2015 |
A very readable account of sleep, dreams, and how science has changed the way we think about them. Sleep--we need it, but why? What actually happens to our bodies while we are sleeping? Much is still unknown, but scientists are getting closer to an answer. We are all well aware now of the dangers of sleep apnea, and how damaging it can be to a sufferers health. Due to sleep and dream studies, Freud's concept of symbolism in dreams has pretty much been debunked, and now we know that dreams are more closely linked to the happenings in our day to day lives. A topic that has always fascinated me, and this was a fine overview. ( )
  alexann | Aug 27, 2014 |
Really fascinating. I kept having to read bits to Heath. Very interesting book about lots of different aspects of sleep. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |

added by BeWell | editAmazon.com

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 039308020X, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, August 2012: Forget about outer space and deep-ocean trenches. There are scientific mysteries far closer to home. In our bedrooms each night, something odd happens--we try to fall asleep. No one knows exactly why. What happens if we don't sleep? Do men sleep differently than women? Why is it so hard to put children to sleep? And if Freud was wrong about dreams, then why do we dream? In Dreamland: Adventures in the Strange Science of Sleep, David K. Randall answers these questions and more. He takes us through the history of human thinking about sleep, all the way up to the latest rest techniques used by Olympic athletes. You'll sleep better having read this book. --Benjamin Moebius

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:31 -0400)

Examines the complex world of sleep and discusses whether or not women sleep differently than men and if killing someone while sleepwalking would count as murder.

121 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,117,431 books! | Top bar: Always visible