Black Butler, Volume 11 by Yana Toboso

Black Butler, Volume 11

by Yana Toboso

This is the 11th volume in the Black Butler series. I have been really enjoying this manga series overall. I thought volume 10 was weaker than the rest of the series. This volume is better again; although not as spectacular as some of the volumes before 10.

In this volume the events of the last two volumes are explained in detail with all revealed. Then Ciel and Sebastian end up on a cruise ship with Ciel’s intended. Most of the people think that Ciel is taking a well deserved break but little do they know that really Ciel is following rumors of the Aurora Society, a Society that claims to be able to wake the dead.

It was nice to have the events of the previous two volumes explained in detail (I was still a bit confused about why what happened happened in volume 10). I am also happy to have that story line tied up because, while it was very tongue in cheek and somewhat entertaining, I was ready to move on.

The last third of this book puts the reader in an interesting place. We are on a cruise ship with a society that claims to be able to raise the dead (oh boy...this scenario is just begging for trouble).

It was wonderful to have Sebastian back in the story. The Undertaker is also in the story for the last part of the book (he is one of my favorite characters).

The illustration continues to be beautifully done. I really enjoy the high quality and entertainment value of these mangas.

Overall an excellent continuation of this manga series. I continue to find this manga series highly entertaining and very enjoyable. I would definitely recommend to those who enjoy Victorian paranormal themes to their manga. ( )
  krau0098 | Jan 1, 2016 |
Sebastian's recounting of his parts in the murders that took place in the previous volumes was absolutely hilarious. I suspected some of what was going on, but I guess I forgot that Sebastian could do impossible things, because there was lots of other stuff I didn't even guess at. That man (er, demon) is amazing. I honestly don't know whether Ciel's servants are really as dumb as they appear of if they're just so grateful for what Ciel and Sebastian have done for them that they don't care about all the incredibly bizarre stuff that happens around the Phantomhive household. One last thing: Sebastian didn't have a part in Tanaka's sudden display of martial arts skills. Which means Tanaka really can kick butt when he wants to. Wow.

This volume not only explained away the questions I had about the murders, it also explained why the Queen's secretarial officers were involved in the first place. I appreciated that, although the explanations (for everything, including the murders) were sometimes a little hard to follow.

While part of me is looking forward to seeing how the addition of Snake to the cast goes, part of me is a bit shocked at Ciel's gutsy move. If Snake ever finds out what really happened to his friends, Ciel is toast unless Sebastian can save him.

Inside back cover extra: Black Gourmet.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Nov 23, 2013 |
The saga continues. Snake joins the staff of Phantomhive Manor as a footman, and he, Sebastian and Ciel head out on a sea voyage that brings them into contact with the Aurora Society and the horrible effects of their experiments with evading death.
  LibraryGirl11 | Jan 6, 2013 |
I got my explanation. And what an explanation it was. The rendition of it was kind of funny actually in all that Sebastian had to do to accomplish his goals but the overall explanation itself is a good example of why this series is "gothic". I forget sometimes that Ciel and Sebastian aren't necessarily the good guys here. Toboso makes sure to remind the reader every once in a while. Despite that I still really like the two characters. Again, that is sort of odd since not much is known about Sebastian and Ciel's history, what we know of it at this point, while certainly horrendous, does not justify some of the things he does. There is some deep psychology hidden somewhere her. I just have to wait until Toboso pulls it out. I'd also love to know more about Sebastian. Hopefully in the next few arcs. :) ( )
  Kassilem | Dec 16, 2012 |

"Whispers turn into screaming headlines in Earl Ciel Phantomhive's morning paper as word of the dead being resurrected takes society by storm. But when the unsavoury details of the business reach Ciel's ear, he and his superlative butler, Sebastian, book themselves on a luxury liner to look into these alleged miracles and the 'Aurora Society' conducting them. As the waters lap and crash all around the vessel, mysterious individuals gather under the banner of the 'Phoenix.' Ciel and Sebastian may be one step closer to the truth, but have they sealed their fates by conducting an investigation on what could easily become a floating coffin--?" -- p. [4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,937,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible