Black Butler, Volume 10 by Yana Toboso

Black Butler, Volume 10

by Yana Toboso

I love this manga. Its Excellent. ( )
  RinHanase | Mar 11, 2017 |
The snake... I hate them. So glad as to what happens in the end though! ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
This is the 10th volume in the Black Butler series. I didn’t enjoy it quite as much as previous volumes but it was still very entertaining.

This volume continues the story starting in Volume 9. Mysterious murders have been happening in the Phantomhive Manor and the guests (as well as the murderer) are trapped in the Manor by a vicious storm that is raging outside. Then a mysterious thirteenth guest arrives, a vicar who is very Sherlock Holmes like. He helps the guests unravel the twisted plot of murder and mayhem that has been plaguing them.

Probably the most fun part of the story was watching Tanaka in action. The rest of the story was a bunch of twisty turny accusations and the reveal of a fairly convoluted plot. It was engaging and interesting but not quite as wilding entertaining as previous volumes have been.

The whole book (this and the last one) is a sort of ode to Sherlock Holmes stories. It was a cute concept, but I am ready to move on to more interesting paranormal and demonic adventures.

I missed Sebastian, and Ciel kind of played a backseat to other characters as well. This definitely ended up being one of the weaker books in this series so far.

The illustration is still top notch with beautiful attention to detail. I did still enjoy the story, I just didn’t absolutely love it like I have with other volumes.

Overall this was a good continuation of this series. I enjoyed it although not as much as other volumes. This volume did a good job of wrapping up the story started in volume 9. I look forward to seeing what volume 11 holds for readers. I would recommend this manga series to those who enjoy paranormal/Victorian themed mangas. ( )
  krau0098 | Jan 1, 2016 |
The resolution to the murder mysteries is convoluted, and I can't help but think that Sebastian somehow framed Woodley.

I love that Toboso shoehorned yet another mystery-related reference into the story, in the form of Vicar Jeremy, who was basically Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes.

Inside back cover extra: Black Esper.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Nov 23, 2013 |
And so the Sherlock Holmes arc comes to an end. Who is the killer? I dunno, this arc was getting a bit stale, I can't wait to move on to the next volume. ( )
  WickedWoWestwood | Mar 2, 2013 |

"With his royally sanctioned dinner party a shambles and a murderer on the loose, Earl Ciel Phantomhive is a veritable prisoner in his own home, alongside those of his guests who still live. And in the most shocking of turns, the young earl now finds himself without his indispensible manservant, Sebastian. But as the mystery deepens, there arrives upon the young earl's doorstep an odd vicar, wearing an insolent smile and an Inverness cape that flaps and splashes behind him-- Is this mysterious thirteenth guest the perpetrator of the crimes that have bloodied the halls of Phantomhive Manor?" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,243,079 books! | Top bar: Always visible