Fear Itself: The Home Front by Pete Milligan

Fear Itself: The Home Front

by Pete Milligan, Pete Milligan

Series: Fear Itself

I liked the main story for this a LOT. It reminded me of Marvels or probably more like Astro City, Vol. 1: Life in the Big City because I had never heard of the main character - Speedball. If you haven't read those two I just mentioned get to it, they're both great books. The idea is to show heroes as normal people. To focus on how much the same they are to your average Joe rather than how different they are. So there were a lot of touching, kind of 9/11 moments as the world seems to be ending and the story zooms in on small town America.

"The Agent of Atlas" thing was okay but I wasn't blown away, definitely some odd b-list heroes there.

I didn't really get "The Chosen". The characters were archetypes of Thor, Spider-man etc... Are they really heroes in the Marvel universe or was that just a kind of experiment. Seems like a cheap device to use familiar heroes without actually having them be the exact same hero. The same kind of thing as "young avengers" or whatever they have.

Some of the shorts were fun, I enjoyed the funny one with Asbestos Man and the one with Dr. Fear complaining because everyone was so scared already he was kind of useless.
  ragwaine | Apr 29, 2015 |
Most of the crossover events include a "home front" collection, which usually has stories from the ground-eye view of regular people. These tend to be hit or miss for me. Here, it was mostly miss because that ground-eye view was from C and D-list characters, with one remarkable exception.

I would have given this collection only one star, if not for Speedball. Speedball's story runs throughout the book, but is unfortunately interrupted by various side stories. And those side stories were centered on characters I had no familiarity with and who were, frankly, just not interesting. The biggest of these was The Agents of Atlas and Johnny Woo, whose entire arc is about finding the castle that Sin went to for the book of spells and Woo's desire to live in the past. It has no impact on Fear Itself and was downright boring. Then we have quick interludes with Mr. Fear, Cardiac, Blue Marvel, the Great Lakes Avengers and some team that includes Wolverine's female clone. None of these stories had any weight or gave readers a reason to care. Thankfully, Speedball's story was not only action-packed, it was also emotionally-charged and compelling.

Robbie has been going to Stamford in disguise to help at Miriam Sharpe's foundation. But when he's discovered, some of the locals attack him. That's when all hell breaks loose with Fear Itself, and Miriam realizes that Robbie is not the enemy and his help is desperately needed. She convinces him to go and help in the places where the Avengers haven't been able to get to: the small towns with few police and just as many scared people. He agrees and what he sees and does, in conjunction with Miriam, may change the tide of the war. This story was so good, I got annoyed whenever the book broke away for another inconsequential story about a character few people have heard of. It got so I started skipping over them to get back to Speedball!

Though I can understand why these stories were all packaged together (where else would they go?), about half of this book was a waste for me. That said, Speedball's story worth the price of admission all on its own, just as his was in the Civil War homefront collection. Highly recommended. ( )
1 vote jshillingford | Apr 29, 2014 |

Pete Milliganprimary authorall editionscalculated
Milligan, Petemain authorall editionsconfirmed

America blamed Speedball for the deaths of six hundred people in Stamford, Connecticut--the event that sparked the super hero Civil War. And while some have forgiven him, he hasn't forgiven himself. But a new crisis has arisen...fear is spreading throughout the populace...and, while doing charity work in disguise, Robbie Baldwin's true identity is exposed to the people of Stamford. With the world falling apart around him, can Speedball rally the population against the new danger--or will this survivor of an old war be the casualty of a new one? Plus: Marvel's super agent Jimmy Woo confronts his deepest fears in an all-new, all action adventure!

COLLECTING: FEAR ITSELF: THE HOME FRONT 1-7

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:28 -0400)

Terror has gripped the globe and now all the world is the front line for the next superhuman conflict! America blamed Speedball for the deaths of 600 people in Stamford, Connecticut - the event that sparked the superhero Civil War. When some have forgiven him, he hasn't forgiven himself. But a new crisis has arisen.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,432,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible