Edge of Dawn by Lara Adrian

Edge of Dawn

by Lara Adrian

Twenty years after the terror of First Dawn--when mankind learned that vampires lived secretly among them--the threat of violence reigns as the two species struggle to coexist. The only group preserving the fragile harmony is the Order, an elite cadre of Breed warriors dedicated to protecting humans and vampires. Mira, a fiery squad captain, is torn between her dedication the Order's mission and her attraction to Kellan, the leader of a band of rebel humans.… (more)

Love it that Kellan was still around. Let alone Mira was all grown up. Such a cute beginning and an amazing end. ( )
  RobinCripps | Jul 12, 2019 |
Lara did another great job. The last book I read, prior to this one, I thought it was over. I was upset and wanted to see/read so much more from the Breed. I so love her Breed series. I can't wait to see what is next. Love Kellan and Mira's story! ( )
  RobinCripps | Jul 12, 2019 |
Listened to audio narrated by Hillary Huber.

**Various Spoilers**

20 years after the First Dawn. believed dead, Mira finds Kellan. After seeing a glimpse of the future Kellan makes choices that end up making his dire future come true. Mira is the optimist believing they will find a way. While this could be a good book for others I found myself unhappy with the book, most of the way through.

The story seems to meander, and in the beginning it was hard to stay engaged. It's also very clear that his choice to lead a rebel group played into making the vision he saw become reality, when he should have been either a) working to avoid it or b) using the time he had to enjoy his life with Mira.

I like reading about protective alpha males but Kellan comes across as less confident more I'm taking credit and responsibility for all failures, which comes across more narcisstic than heroic. I wanted to like this story but halfway through I wanted to quit listening.

I also didn't understand the purpose of the rebel group, their leader was a Breed and another was dating a Breed, so what exactly where the rebelling about? It was frustrating seeing Mira change from the initially strong warrior to behaving almost childlike, immature and insecure.

**SPOILER**

About 3/4 of the way into the book, we are made aware of a new threat, Opus Nostrum. A group of thirteen, who keep their identities hidden accept for one and supposedly the group is made up of both Breeds and humans. This group claims they want to bring a new order and peace, determined to shape the world with their own vision, killing many to bring their own version of peace. This also disappointed me because it is so similar to Dragos' agenda, even if there's a surprise reveal at the end.

Overall I LIKE this series, but this is the first book that didn't work for me, I truly hope the next book brings back the strong characters and storylines I've come to expect from this author.

More of my reviews can be found at https://wyldheartreads.wordpress.com/
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
I bought a copy of this from barns and noblr
I have read all this authors books and this one does not disappoint I am so hooked on the midnight breed series ( )
  DeniseWoodruffPA | Sep 17, 2018 |
Edge of Dawn
3 Stars

Edge of Dawn, book #11 in the Midnight Breed series, can be considered a reboot as it opens 20 years following the events of the previous 10 books and focuses on the children of the original warriors.

Fast forwarding into the future is usually a big no-no for me but in this case it works. Adrian has reinvented her initial world by reinforcing basic concepts and adding innovative tenets, such as a governing body comprised of both human and Breed members, rebel groups fighting against the new order, and a powerful, otherworldly enemy bent on destroying the Breed. It is also nice to catch up on the "old guard" and to see where their lives have taken them.

Unfortunately, the rest of the book is disappointing. The plot revolving around a conspiracy to annihilate the Order with UV technology takes a back seat to the romance, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if the romance between Mira and Kellen hadn't fallen completely flat.

Mira has grown into a hard and not particularly likable woman, and it is impossible not to mourn the loss of the sweet girl from the earlier books. Kellan is an unremarkable hero and the explanation for his disappearance is completely illogical if Mira's visions are inevitable, then why would he bother faking his death. Their chemistry never manages to compensate for the flaws in their personalities.

In contrast, the secondary characters are much more appealing. Lucan's son, Dare, is very intriguing in his attempts to emerge from his father's shadow. Corinne's stoic son, Nathan, never allows his emotions free reign until he apparently meets his match. Chase and Tavia's children have obviously inherited some of their father's recklessness and there are several other Breed offspring of interest who will probably flesh out additional books in the series.

While this particular installment has its problems, Adrian's world building is fantastic and the premise of a new conflict between the Breed and the Atlanteans is original and exciting. I look forward to seeing what the Midnight Breed has install for us next. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
For my readers
Come along with me. Te adventure continues…
JOURNAL ENTRIES
From the private history archives of the Order
Washington, D.C., headquarters

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Lara Adrian's book Edge of Dawn was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,086,249 books! | Top bar: Always visible