Send by Patty Blount

This was a gritty novel about bullying, and the effects it has on all those involved. From the start I liked Dan, even though he was the bully, and I really sympathised with him as he battled with his guilt, pain, regret, shame and dispair. Having the book told from the bully's perspective was an interesting concept, highlighting how one stupid mistake can have devastating consequences. I guessed who Julie was fairly early on and it took me a while to accept Kenny's role in the story, but overall I thoroughly enjoyed this book. My only disappointment was the ending. I was wishing for a more hopeful resolution. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
This review is for the second of the four signed books I’ve recently won from this author through a massive giveaway on one internet site, which had consisted of 13 individual ones, and the following is my honest opinion for this book.

In “SEND” Ms. Blount addresses one of the most prevalent scourges which plagues our youth today, and to cut to the chase I referring to the topic of bullying. While this had been when I went to school as a child of the 1950’s, its history goes even further back. Back in my days this had always taken the physical form where vast majority of boys who participated in the practice would go after the weaker boys for the lunch money with threats of being beaten up if they’d dare tell anyone. Don’t blink because there had also been an extremely small handful of girls doing the same thing.

The author here has updated the situation because these days the bullying is no longer predominately physical it takes the form of derogation of others merely for the fun of it through the use of the internet, which is known as cyberbullying.

Unlike most stories you’ve probably heard about or read, Ms. Blount has skillfully switched the ever-present POV of the victim to that of the bully.

Bullies have no fear of what they do, the somehow go unscathed by their actions, expect as in the case of a pivotal character of this book, Dan.

Dan, whose real name is Ken, had five years earlier caused the suicide of a classmate through his bullying and a final blow when he’d press the SEND button on his computer with an extremely humiliating picture. Ken has been bullying classmates for years, suffering nothing more than a slap on the wrist, which had caused his family to be continuously moving. However, this time he got send away a juvenile delinquent for one year. Now with only his senior year in high school, he realizes he must change, and with his family having move once again he decides to change his name.

At his new school, things really did a 180, the moment he decided to step in and save a classmate from the school’s apparent most notorious bull; becoming an instant hero. And, of course, for every action there’s a reaction, while Dan wants to remains low key, keeping his past a secret, the local bully now is keeping a keen eye on him.

And at the same instant he meets Julie, and the more he sees her, the more he likes her; yet at the same time she suspects something about him he doesn’t want anyone else to know and their relationship begins.

The book is wrought with emotions, such as regret and forgiveness.

This book is not only an enjoyable read for its target audience, especially for those towards the upper end of the range for young adults; the book also has a wonderful educational message woven discussion guide at the back, with questions about the book, and through its pages. This value is once again supplemented by the questions for its readers about themselves.

For the different levels this book is representing, I’m happy to give it 5 STARS. ( )
  MyPenNameOnly | Apr 4, 2015 |
What a great book! I was hooked immediately from the get go. What I found so intriguing was that this was from the Bully's point of view, which was a vast contrast with most of the anti-bullying books available. The main character, Dan, was so believable. I feel that any reader can relate to what he experiences as far as being a bully and not realizing the full implication of his actions. A definite must read for any one and a great fit for anti-bullying themes. ( )
  slsmitty25 | Feb 11, 2015 |
That ending! Gah! This is one of those times that I demand an epilogue...please?

I gasped, I laughed, I sobbed cried...WAAAAHHH! The emotions and events that take place in this book are insane and sadly very real. I am extremely glad I had the opportunity to read SEND and sincerely hope that its message reaches as many people as possible. Ms. Blount and the characters she created have touched my heart. Highly recommend this heart-wrenching, sobering, and beautiful novel to any and all. Thank you Ms. Blount for sharing your message. ( )
  CLovestoread | Jan 11, 2014 |

CLovestoread | Jan 11, 2014 |

All Dan wants for his senior year is to be invisible. This is his last chance at a semi-normal life. Nobody here knows who he is. Or what he's done. But on his first day at school, instead of turning away like everyone else, Dan breaks up a fight. Because Dan knows what it's like to be terrorized by a bully. He used to be one.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,733,114 books! | Top bar: Always visible