Overlay - A Tale of One Girl's Life in…

Overlay - A Tale of One Girl's Life in 1970s Las Vegas: Memoirs of…

by Marlayna Glynn Brown

This was an extremely interesting story. It started out a bit slow, but that was necessary to introduce us to the people and situations involved. It is a very intense book and touches on addiction, poverty, divorce, abuse and homelessness. I think it's important that those of us who have been lucky enough to have a fairly stable upbringing to have at least an idea about what other people are going through on a daily basis. Something I find highly unlikely and took a bit away from the authors' creditability for me, though; was the utter certainty she has of everything that's happened in her life since she was four years old. I would be much more trusting of her if there was something like 'This is how I remember things being, but the accuracy may be off due to my age at the time.' I understand that she's very smart and kept a journal from a young age, but it going back to the age of four (and being accurate) is extremely unlikely. So, take that bit with a grain of salt. Overall though, I think that this is a must read, particularly for those who work with or around children.

The narrator did a decent enough job. While I won't be going out of my way to find more narrated by the same person, I won't be going out of my way to avoid them, either. I received a free copy of this book from the author, narrator or publisher in exchange for an unbiased review. ( )
  littlebear514 | Dec 28, 2015 |
This is such an intense amazing story of survival amongst way too many adults who looked the other way. I truly could not put this book down. As one that belongs in the catergory as a child "Left Behind" I can not only relate but understand this amazing girls story of survival. Thank you so much for sharing Marlayna!
  Terry_Mitchell | Feb 20, 2015 |
This is written as a memoir of the author's young life - a child with an alcoholic father and a mother who just doesn't seem to care - a very dysfunctional family. With a very simplistic style, Marlayna writes with strength, painting a vivid picture that captivates you from the beginning.

Many times Marlyana displayed anger at her mother and was confused how she could love and hate her mother at the same time. There was very little food purchased for the house and many times Marlayna cried herself to sleep because she was so hungry. If it weren't for the free lunch programs at the school, she wouldn't have eaten at all. But, they always seemed to have money for jugs of wine, gallons of vodka, and cartons of cigarettes.

This is truly a powerful and gripping read. It had to take a lot of courage for Marlayna to share such a personal story - a story that will touch your heart and soul. In spite of all the hardships and challenges she faced, Marlayna Glynn Brow persevered and now has three college degrees and has had several different careers. I highly recommend this book.

Join me on Twitter @ghmstudio for more reviews. ( )
  wrbinpa | Jun 1, 2013 |
I really do think every person has a story to tell. That's why I read the bios. Sometimes the stories are unorganized and poorly written. Not so with this one. The author tells her story well! She makes you remember when you were the same age and what you were doing then. She makes your heart sad for what no child should have to endure.

A young girl growing up amidst the devastating impact of alcoholism, drug abuse, neglect, parental instability, abuse, and homelessness. You will feel her pain as she navigates her way through her life.

A powerful true story of this gutsy child fighting for the life of herself. ( )
  MaryAnn12 | Apr 29, 2013 |

Set in glamorous 1970s Las Vegas, OVERLAY is the fighting-to-come-of-age story of a resilient child born into an ongoing cycle of alcoholism and abandonment. Marlayna develops a powerful sense of self-preservation in contrast to the fallen adults entrusted with her care. Her profound story explores the characters and events populating her life as she moves from home to home, parent to parent, family to family, ultimately becoming homeless at the age of fourteen.

Out of the resources of her remarkable childhood emerges an inner strength that will charm and captivate readers and remain in their consciousness long after the last page of her story has been turned.

amazon.com

Marlayna Glynn Brown is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,740,011 books! | Top bar: Always visible