The Affinities by Robert Charles Wilson

The Affinities

by Robert Charles Wilson

2041287,046 (3.49)9

I feel like this idea was done better by Ramez Naam's Nexus series. ( )
  Ubiquitine | Nov 24, 2018 |
The was both an interesting and fun read. I really liked the main concept as told in the story with humans falling into set groups of people after genetic testing that you are predisposed to get along with. Interesting characters and a plot that kept me reading consistently. The only thing I really wasn't sure about is the ending which (at least for me) kind of just petered out. If I had to guess, the author left enough open topics that a sequel is probably pegged for sometime in the not to distant future.

4 stars for a fun read that I enjoyed quite a bit. Recommended for fans of near future sci-fi stories. ( )
  ConalO | Apr 23, 2018 |
While I was initially not excited about the concept of a sci-fi novel based on social networking, I gave Wilson the benefit of the doubt (based on Spin), and was pleasantly surprised.

Wilson is able to take a modern concept and extrapolate possibilities for very near-future advances. He is then able to give it some elements of a thriller, and ends up with a very fun novel akin to the best works of Neal Stephenson and William Gibson. ( )
  bobholt | Dec 3, 2017 |
I am biased against books where there are multiple jumps through time--i.e. a 4 year skip here, a 5 year skip here.

That being said, I really liked this book. Full of good ideas, and some scary ones. ( )
  adamwolf | Jan 4, 2017 |
Rather disappointing, the central idea is weak. ( )
  AlanPoulter | Aug 19, 2016 |

Robert Charles Wilsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mader, FriedrichTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

After becoming a part of the Tau, one of twenty-two large global network Affinities in the near future, young Adam Fisk thinks his life has improved for the better until the different Affinities begin to go to war with one another -- in a conflict that will change Adam's world forever.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,504,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible