Want by Stephanie Lawton

The atmosphere for Want is set instantly and you can't help but be pulled into the storyline. Some sections were so emotional that I forgot where I was and that I wasn't actually a part of this story. It's been reclassified as NA, which I think is a good fit - it's complex situations might be too much for younger readers. Bottom Line: Stephanie Lawton is a talent to watch for. You'll be hooked. ( )
  Stephanie_Keyes | Apr 3, 2014 |
I just finished reading an ARC copy of Want by Stephanie Lawton. I stayed up until 2 this morning unable to put it down. I thought about it all day and rushed home after work to finish reading it. It’s been some time since I’ve been so compelled by a book that I was unable to put it down, so I’m thrilled to share this review with you.

The main character in Want is Julianne, a complex, interesting and immensely talented seventeen-year-old. She faces a horrific home life, the psychological impact of which made her a very real and believable character. Her relationships were highly complex, and with her absent-yet-in-the-house father, her mentally ill mother, and her beloved brother away at college, Juli is truly alone. Whisked into making adult decisions, she must learn to fight for herself to go after her dreams.

It was the love triangle in this book that had me turned inside out. I was enticed, frustrated, caught up, and even a bit wary, at times, of the direction things were heading. I oscillated between being on Team Isaac and Team Dave, both of whom were gorgeous in their own way. Right up to the end of the book, I wasn’t sure which side I was on, because I had empathy for both men and understood her attraction to them, despite the taboo of the age differences. I even held my breath a few times as she made some tough choices in what felt like a very intense and yet profoundly realistic story.

This story opened my eyes to how exciting contemporary YA romance can be. ( )
  Lisa.Voisin | Dec 12, 2012 |
Quite possibly one of my favorite books of 2012. Stephanie Lawton's writing is a thing of beauty. The depth of her characters and the story she weaves is simply amazing. Many YA novels tend to be a little too polished, and subdued, but not this one. This would appeal to teens and adults
  Tinkerbell4726 | Nov 1, 2012 |
Small town secrets, crazy mothers, forbidden lovers and a teen girl desperate to break away -- what's not to love?

When I was invited to join the tour for Want, I read the synopsis and a few reviews and thought, "Why not?" I don't mind romance, especially if it's well done, and I do love a good scandal. Maybe that has something to do with growing up in a VERY small town. When scandal hits, it hits big, and it grows exponentially. Hey, small town folk need their excitement, too, so when something big happens, you best bet everyone will talk about it. I went into this one with an open mind, and found myself fairly surprised.

Our MC, Juli, is eager to break away from her small hometown. She hates the gossip, the pretension and most of all, dealing with a monster of a mother. She's ready to head off to a college up north, and will do anything to make sure that she aces her audition and secures a slot at the college of her choice. When her beloved piano teacher has a stroke, she fears her dreams could be in jeopardy, but that's before she meets Isaac, the successful and mysterious nephew of her former teacher. Isaac intrigues Juli, and has toured the world playing piano. What she can't understand is why someone as talented and beautiful as him would move back to Mobile.

As Juli and Isaac spend more and more time together, perfecting her piano skills, love begins to blossom between them. The problem? Isaac is ten years Juli's senior, and wrong for her in so many ways. Will this relationship help her realize her dreams, or will it be her downfall?

The relationship dynamics in this book are pretty intense, and at times, emotionally exhausting. I felt awful for Juli, and then there were times when I just wanted to smack her and tell her to wake up, yet I understood why she did what she did. The relationship between she and her abusive mother and passive father was heartbreaking, and I wanted so badly for her to be happy. I just hated that she thought Isaac was the solution. Sure, he's the pretty boy -- so good, yet so bad -- but he was so wrong for Juli in so many ways. About halfway through the book I really started to dislike him, and there was no turning back for me at that point. While I was fine with the ending, and the direction the book took, my dislike of Isaac kind of ruined my enjoyment.

The book is decently written, and the story flows fairly well, though there were a few spots where I felt the pacing was a bit off. All in all it's a good read, and one I think is better suited for older, romance-loving teens and adults who like a little scandal and the danger of a forbidden romance. ( )
  booktwirps | Aug 7, 2012 |

Julianne counts the days until she can pack her bags and leave her old-money, tradition-bound Southern town where appearance is everything and secrecy is a way of life. A piano virtuoso, she dreams of attending a prestigious music school in Boston. Failure is not an option, so she enlists the help of New England Conservatory graduate Isaac Laroche to help her. She can't understand why he suddenly gave up Boston's music scene to return to the South. He doesn't know her life depends on escaping it. Julianne must face down madness from without, just as it threatens from within. Isaac must resist an inappropriate attraction, but an indiscretion at a Mardi Gras ball-the pinnacle event for Mobile's elite-forces their present wants and needs to collide with sins of the past. Will Julianne accept the help she's offered and get everything she ever wanted, or will she self-destruct and take Isaac down with her?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:13 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,459,262 books! | Top bar: Always visible