The Sticks by J.F. Smith

The Sticks

by J.F. Smith

Anyone who knows about Charon and the River Styx will go into this story assuming the worst. My first thought was Percy was dead, and the redneck with the hound dog was taking the poor kid into an even worse life than the one he'd escaped.

But the novella really isn't about any of that at all. Instead, it's a amazingly beautiful look at life, happiness, and self-reliance. It's a tale of who we are despite where we are. It's an uplifting story about looking inward for happiness and not outward.

If nothing else, this is a snippet of hope for those who might feel hopeless. ( )
  phenshaw | Apr 12, 2014 |
Honestly, I did not really get the story at first. Maybe because I was not in the right set of mind. Since that it was a short story, I decided to give it another try - going back to Page 1 and starting all over again. I was happy I did. Initially, my mind was not ready to comprehend JF Smith's style of writing. I was expecting simple writing for a short story. Nope. Smith put in effort to deliver a story worthy of listening. It made me felt someone who was listening to all the bullying stories and was reaching out to all those kids out there who felt lost and betrayed by life. And I enjoyed hearing what Smith had to say from one of his characters. Sometimes, in anger, we tend to miss a few points that are obviously good in our lives. Wonderful story, Smith. ( )
  starlight70 | May 11, 2012 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,130,567 books! | Top bar: Always visible