Paint Me Like I Am: Teen Poems from…

Paint Me Like I Am: Teen Poems from WritersCorps (edition 2003)

by Nikki Giovanni, Richard Newirth

Member:Jazz2107
Title:Paint Me Like I Am: Teen Poems from WritersCorps
Authors:Nikki Giovanni
Other authors:Richard Newirth
Info:HarperTeen (2003), Edition: 1, Paperback, 144 pages
Tags:youth, poetry

Paint Me Like I Am: Teen Poems from WritersCorps by Bill Aguado

This poetry book is a compilation of teen poetry. These poems were about a variety of topics based on each teenagers thoughts. This would be a great assignment to get to understand the child better. This is a way teachers can find out what the youth really think and feel. ( )
1 vote Jazz2107 | Dec 2, 2012 |
This is a wonderful anthology of teen voices. Some are more well-written than others, but they all paint a real portrait of the diverse issues of teens in their own words.
  YAlit | May 8, 2009 |
I recommend this to young adult
  Friendlyman12 | Nov 30, 2007 |
This story is one of Shakespeare's most popular, and certainly one of the most powerful. The emotions that Hamlet deals with range from sadness to anger, and even madness. Since Hamlet learns of the murder from his father's ghost, the story takes on a eerie tone, and is fun to read. It is also important that students are familiar with this work, because it is often quoted.
  mcivalleri | Dec 31, 1969 |

Today my name is colorful.
Yesterday my name was dead souls.
Tomorrow my name will be lively spirits.
My friends think my name is fire.
The police think my name is burden.
My parents think my name is symphony.
Secretly I know my name is anything I want it to be.

Included are a foreward by acclaimed poet Nikki Giovanni, an essay from Kevin Powell, another poet associated with WritersCorps, and writing tips from WritersCorps instructors.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:21 -0400)

Today my name is colorful. Yesterday my name was dead souls. Tomorrow my name will be lively spirits. My friends think my name is fire. The police think my name is burden. My parents think my name is symphony. Secretly I know my name is anything I want it to be. Paint Me Like I Am is a collection of poems by teens who have taken part in writing programs run by a national nonprofit organization called WritersCorps. To read the words of these young people is to hear the diverse voices of teenagers everywhere. Included are a foreword by acclaimed poet Nikki Giovanni, an essay from Kevin Powell, another poet associated with WritersCorps, and writing tips from WritersCorps instructors. WritersCorps was started in 1994 to help at-risk youth in three American urban centers: San Francisco, Washington, DC, and New York City (the Bronx). Thousands of children and teenagers have since benefited from finding creative expression through writing.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,976,833 books! | Top bar: Always visible