Soup Should Be Seen, Not Heard! A Complete…

Soup Should Be Seen, Not Heard! A Complete Manners Book for Kids

by Beth Brainard

3None2,001,085NoneNone

No reviews
We were given this book by a friend of ours who had used it with their kids. Our children (3 and 1) are just entering the stage where we can begin teaching them about manners and why they are important. The best part is it is written in such a way that they not only comprehend it, but they find entertaining. We began reading the book to our son (3) at night time. Since we have started this practice he has stopped yelling across the room for things, and now walks over and if my wife and I are speaking will say, "excuse me" and wait for us to finish speaking. He will then ask his question. Further, every time he burps or breaks wind he says, "excuse me" on que without being told. This book is a gold mine for anyone who wants to raise civilized children in what is unfortunatley becoming an uncivilized period in history. Ms. Brainard should be commended on her work and this book should be required reading in all public schools.
added by bethbrainard | editAmazon (May 8, 2012)

A friend of mine recommended this book so we got it for the kids to read. We read it to the them before they went to bed and then they started to read it themselves (girls ages 6 and 8). We found ourselves referring back to the book when we were correcting the kids on their behavior. You could see their little minds working as they started to think about what we were saying. Now the kids are quoting the book to themselves and to their friends. It is written in a way that youngsters will understand and relate too which is terrific. This is a must read for all kids and should be added to school curriculums. I recommend to all.
added by bethbrainard | editAmazon (May 8, 2012)

I have three small children at home (3,5,6) and as they get older they are having more and more interactions with the outside world and in the past they haven't always been on their best behavior. A friend turned me onto this book a few weeks ago and I bought it right away. After reading the first few chapters with my kids, they were hooked on the fun characters and the easy to follow examples the author uses to help make her points.

The moment when I truly knew these lessons were sticking is when my 6 y/o boy answered the phone while I was out on the porch, and instead of screaming through the house looking for me he politely told the call the please wait while he found me!
added by bethbrainard | editAmazon (Apr 25, 2012)

The newly released Soup Should Be Seen, Not Heard! by etiquette expert Beth Brainard is quickly becoming the go-to resource for parents and teachers interested in dishing up good manners for their kids. In ten delightfully illustrated chapters, the quirky Good Idea Kids and their dogVitamin present the ins and outs of politely handling introductions, telephones and cell phones, dining, partying, writing notes, e-messaging, dressing, and more, all in a lighthearted tone that appeals to both boys and girls four years-old and up.  Soup! comes with some free extras for grown ups: an online companion called Why? provides information that helps further explain the reasons behind what might appear to kids to be arbitrary rules, and a set of lesson plans prepared in conjunction with professional educators is available to teachers. Both are accessible via a QR code on the back of the book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:33 -0400)

Beth Brainard is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Average: No ratings.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,944,774 books! | Top bar: Always visible